Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2010, 09:04 AM

203 posts, read 270,090 times

Advertisements

I'm starting grad school in NJ again and will hopefully get my LPC license in less than 5 years at the most. It seems like GA and NJ requirements are similar so I would eventually be licensed in GA as well. This won't be for a few years but we have a young family and are considering somewhere near Alpharetta to settle down within the next few years. I know NJ has its share of therapists but it doesn't seem too competitive. I would eventually like to share a practice or open up my own after doing my supervised hours. Just wondering how hard of a time I'd have maintaining a practice if there's an MSW or LPC every mile or so. For example, I know NJ has a shortage or speech therapists and there are waiting lists if you want your child seen by one. Curious as to the attitude towards therapy and how many therapists there are. TIA!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 09:13 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,030,663 times
I know that LCSW's are well organized in Atlanta. NASW Georgia Chapter I don't know how many therapist there are in Atlanta but like any other practice, I am sure that starting up a new one is a slow start.

Good luck!

Old 03-28-2010, 11:31 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,405,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deenie1 View Post
I'm starting grad school in NJ again and will hopefully get my LPC license in less than 5 years at the most. It seems like GA and NJ requirements are similar so I would eventually be licensed in GA as well. This won't be for a few years but we have a young family and are considering somewhere near Alpharetta to settle down within the next few years. I know NJ has its share of therapists but it doesn't seem too competitive. I would eventually like to share a practice or open up my own after doing my supervised hours. Just wondering how hard of a time I'd have maintaining a practice if there's an MSW or LPC every mile or so. For example, I know NJ has a shortage or speech therapists and there are waiting lists if you want your child seen by one. Curious as to the attitude towards therapy and how many therapists there are. TIA!
I think the market is ??extremely?? competitive. Alpharetta is an affluent community and there should be a potential market for services. Plenty of PhD's in Atlanta so that might also be a consideration.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:20 PM

2,239 posts, read 5,819,042 times
Short answer, yes, Atlanta is glutted with therapists with differing degrees. Your success will depend on a number of factors, including your willingness to be on insurance panels vs. insisting on self-pay. Alpharetta is pretty affluent, but a lot of people insist on using their insurance for weekly therapy, so just be prepared. Therapists/psychologist/psychiatrists are a dime a dozen in Atlanta proper; you're better off joining an established practice in the 'burbs.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:21 PM

Default Thanks. I would rather work in a suburb anyway

You bring up a lot of good points about insurance panels too. I know here, the well established practices are getting away from accepting insurance but I would think I'd have to have quite a few years under my belt to do that. I would ideally like to work with other therapists in a group practice just for safety's sake as well as having other peers to consult with. It sounds similar in opportunity to NJ and hopefully will provide me with a way to have a successful practice. I just would love to move to that area some day but want to make sure I have a way to follow my career path. As it is, I'm going back to grad school at 47!

I just didn't know what the prevailing attitude was like re: therapy in other areas of the country. It still carries some stigma but NJ is pretty progressive and has lost some of that in this day and age.

Any other opinions welcome!

Old 03-28-2010, 03:29 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,607,582 times
As of a few years ago, Metro Atlanta had one of the highest number per capita of psychologists in the country.

Every therapist I know is struggling right now to make ends meet.

It doesn't mean it will stay this way, but that is the current state of things today.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:15 PM

Default Good to know

I at least have a few years. DH needs to find a job first as he is the primary provider. If I can work P/T hours in a practice, that would be great for now. I have to get my internship hours done and then I would still want to be home in the afternoons since my kids are only in K & 1st grade now. Even when they get older, the need for supervision doesn't seem to change... Thanks for the input. I'm going to keep an eye on the real estate market as well as other things over the next couple of years. We're in no rush but just checking things out. Thanks.

Old 03-28-2010, 07:29 PM

16 posts, read 41,356 times
I am just finishing up a grad program (LPC) here in Atlanta. I moved down here to go to school and about half way though I realized what my prof's had been telling me all along. Atlanta is way to saturated with therapists. I have been strongly advised by my profs to move away from Atlanta to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: