Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 12:02 PM

7 posts, read 18,904 times

Advertisements

When his coworker-to-be told him it was only 89 degree, he couldn't believe it. It felt like 100 to him. Maybe the humidity? I don't know.

For the most part he enjoyed his visit. One thing that he wished he had -- GPS!!! He almost missed his flight hopelessly lost in Sandy Springs/Dunwoody looking for 285. Not because he didn't print 100 maps from yahoo.

He purposely spent sometime looking at rush hour traffic and said it was no worse than what we have here in Chicago.

He also looked at a couple houses. Was surprised there is a whole subdivision without basement. With our long winter we have playset designed for outdoor in our basement, besides tons of other stuff.

We are thinking about visiting again in July with our kids to seriously look for house and preschool. Will keep you posted!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2007, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 10,404 times
Default Woodland Charter!

My 2 children went to Woodland Charter in Sandy Springs, and I must tell you that school is FANTASTIC. If you want to save some money and get your kids a top class education WOODLAND All the way.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:32 PM

We are looking at Montessori schools on the internet and most of them (except for First Montessori School of Atlanta) operate 8:30-2:30 (or 3pm) and call that a full day.

Does anybody know what parents with children in those schools do when both o them have to spend at least 8 hours in office?

Old 07-04-2007, 04:08 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,632,880 times
If they don't have fee based after school programs -- then most likely the parents either have after school nannies or work part time. Montessori is a funny thing -- for the schools that follow every grain of its concept, Maria Montessori probably didn't want young kids in school all day.

Have you figured out where you are going to live?

Which ones in particular are you interested in?
First Montessori offers an extended day program. (at an additional cost)

FMSA Home (broken link)

Though I think your children are too young for that -- it starts in elementary school.

Old 07-04-2007, 05:47 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,728,937 times
There are lots of parents in your situation and every school gets out at around 2:30. After school programs are usually the most popular. But nannies and nanny shares as well as home based "daycares" are also options.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:00 PM

I agree that children shouldn't spend too much time in school when they are young. Even Montessori hours tell the difference between Chicago and Atlanta. Here in Chicago suburb all montessori schools are open at least 10 hours a day with some of them open year round (no summer break of even a week).

Since I won't have any support group in Atlanta first, I am also thinking about others like Goddard Schools or La Petite, at least for the first few months. Or even a home care since I have a 2 year old as well.

I think where we will buy our house depends on preschools, elementary schools, commute time, etc. So we might rent for a short period. We would love to live in Woodland Charter area, but we have no idea how the commute will be (especially when summer break is over).

Are there many houses for sale in that area or is it more like grab it before it's gone?

Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,728,937 times
Did your husband check out "The Branches" when he was here? GREAT neighborhood, tons of kids, swim/tennis and very close to Woodland Charter. I bet you can find a rental there. lots of homes for sale too. A breeze to SS for the commute.
As for daycare/aftercare, feel free to PM me and I can give you some additional info.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:14 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,632,880 times
My favorite tool to search by school district is harrynorman dot com. This will give you an idea of what is for sale. Go to the site, click find home, select school district and you are off.

The Atlanta market as a whole has slowed down tremendously -- so I don't think houses are grab and go at all in the moment except in certain areas (and right now I can't even think of those.)

Even the most desired neighborhoods seem to have houses sitting on the market for longer than they were even a few months ago.

Do you know where you will be working yet? Or do you work from home?

Are you getting any kind of relocation package? If so, is it negotiable? It would be great for you, if you could live in a corporate apartment for a little while -- while you get acclimated to the area and look for housing. That way, you wouldn't have to unpack twice! (Your stuff could be in storage.)

Old 09-21-2007, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,335 times
Hey Go South..Are you still around? My family has also relocated from Chicago, working in the Sandu Springs area and just purchased a home in the Lost Forest neighborhood. Much more affordable than many of the burbs outside Chicago. Good Luck with your move and let me know if you are around and we can swap info...
Go Cubs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta