Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 01:18 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times

Advertisements

The other apartments directly across the street are those posibly going also? I am not sure if those are a part of the courts or a seprate complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 01:22 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,538,018 times
Pretty sure it's all the same complex, so I'm guessing it's all going to go. Rumor I heard was that it's some John Wieland venture that will take it's place. I asked some of his reps when I lived in the Providence development up the road if this was true and the guy kind of laughed and said "I can't tell you that...." but never said "no" so maybe there is truth to it. I would imagine he's not super-enthusiastic about starting a new development in this economic climate, however!

Old 07-10-2008, 01:42 PM

750 posts, read 2,276,651 times
I have some friends that live in Legacy right next door to Providence and the new Wieland venture in the front there with the condo's on top of the commercial spaces aren't doing so well in terms of getting them rented/sold. It would be nice if it turned out to be true The Wieland/Bankhead development.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:28 AM

21 posts, read 152,764 times
Dang it was a year old post wasn't it? Woops.

Old 07-12-2008, 03:34 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,777,875 times
Last I heard, the brakes have been temporarily put on the removal of Bankhead Courts because there had not been adequate care taken to ensure that the current residents will be properly relocated. It will probably eventually happen, but it's not going to be a rush job now, which is good I guess. No reason to hurt all the residents there when it's really only a percentage of them that cause problems.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:02 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,642 times
Just this past week, the demolition of Bankhead Courts was approved by HUD. Bowen Homes was approved just prior and was expected to be completed in a year or so. Probably same time frame for Bankhead Courts.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:05 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Growing up in Mableton, I really loved the place. It was a very good place to grow up. However, these days, I am saddened to see the deterioration that has taken place in the town that I called home.

When I was a kid, decent retail options existed within the shopping centers on Veterans Memorial Highway (then Bankhead Highway). Hawthorne Plaza was home to an A&P supermarket, Hancock Fabrics, Perfect Pets pet shop, Turtles Music, Radio Shack, as well as many other fine establishments. Today, the only tenant left from that era, unless I'm mistaken, is a Family Dollar (then the low brow tenant of the center). The furniture store isn't bad for the center, but the others, including the numerous spanish stores, is depressing.

Furniture World was home to the old location of K-Mart. Trust Company Bank occupied the old bank location across from the old K-Mart. It is now a child care center. Hilltop Plaza was home to the very popular Hilltop Cinema (now converted into a Dollar Store), as well as a fantastic pizza place. Only Sherwin Williams Paints is left from that era. Blockbuster Music, Long John's Silvers, Willett Toyota, Kinney's Shoes, Revco, and numerous other establishments were located in the area. Today, the buildings either sit empty, or low-brow businesses occupy them. On the bright side, I suppose it's better for the storefronts to be occupied as opposed to remain vacant. A bright spot, however, is the Baybreeze Seafood Restaurant.

Down towards Mableton Parkway, but still on Veterans Memorial, the Village at Mableton Shopping Center, once touted and a symbol of pride for many in the community, is half vacant. The Blockbuster Video is now vacant. Hunter Furniture/Badcock Furniture has left the area. Years ago, there was a Sizzler where Mexico Lindo Mexican Restaurant now occupies.

Mableton Parkway, in particular, has taken a hard hit. The old Burger King later became a pool hall, only to then become a car lot, now sits empty. The old Wachovia (Georgia State bank--> First Union--> Wachovia) now sits vacant. The old South Cobb Branch library is vacant. The Gordon Road Village Shopping center practically sits with very few tenants. It was originally home to a Winn Dixie store, later becoming home to a Wayfield Foods, then a Fred's Department Store. The Colonial Bank is now closed in the area. The old Texaco/Shell station has closed. The West Shoals Shopping Center once was home to a Food Giant, then a Super Value Foods, but is now home to a Spanish-only, illegal-alien Mexican supporting Mexican mart. Eckerd Drugs was once home in the shopping center, but now all you have are weave shops and a liquor store. The Mableton Mini Mart Plaza is now home to mostly hairbrading and weave shops for the African-American clientele.

The bright side of Mableton is that Floyd Road has seen substantial new development and investment, with the Kroger, Publix, and the surrounding development. Furthermore, the northeastern quadrant of Mableton is being Viningzized, and it has seen the opening of a Publix shopping center, a Starbucks, Walgreens, as well as a lot of nice housing.

Even with these positives, much of the residential area of Mableton is in decline, particular the area west of Floyd Road/Mableton Parkway and west of Dodgen Road. It's sad. On the whole, the quality of the community has declined significantly since the early 90s, despite the massive improvement in the community's northeast area. At least, I don't see Mableton becoming a total loss, much like has occurred in the Riverdale or Clarkston areas. I actually see the area having a chance for survival, as long as the Viningsized area expands further into the core of Mableton. On the flip side, the Six Flags influence has spread, and continues to. It's much why I call Mableton a tale of two cities. It's being pulled in two directions: Vinings influence on the northeast end pushing south and west is improving the town, while the Six Flags influence on the south side is pushing north and northwest around the Vinings influenced area, and is deteriorating the town. It's anybody's guess who will eventually win out, or what areas will eventually be influenced by each.

Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 28,446 times
Default Church in Mableton/Smyrna

I just purchased a house in Smableton. I live in the city limits of Smyrna but have a Mableton address. Confusing but whatever - I love the area off Cooper Lake Road, great location!!!

I was hoping someone could recommend a good church in this area. We are looking for a Presbyterian or Methodist Church with a more liberal leaning, within about a 15 minute drive.

Thanks for your help!!!

Old 07-28-2008, 08:43 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,835,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmith9915 View Post
I just purchased a house in Smableton. I live in the city limits of Smyrna but have a Mableton address. Confusing but whatever - I love the area off Cooper Lake Road, great location!!!

I was hoping someone could recommend a good church in this area. We are looking for a Presbyterian or Methodist Church with a more liberal leaning, within about a 15 minute drive.

Thanks for your help!!!
The only Presbyterian Church in the area that I know of is Woodlawn Presbyterian on Old Powder Springs Road.

Leland United Methodist is on Veterans Memorial Highway near Dodgen Road.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:11 PM

13 posts, read 37,999 times
I've worked helped several clients buy homes in Mableton and they are very happy there -- especially in the newer subdivisions. You get a lot of house for the money and the school system is getting better all the time. I agree with the others that Vinings Estate, Providence and Barnes Mill are great subdivisions to live in. I don't know what your price range is, but Vinings Estate starts around $400K, but you can find something in Vinings Cove for the mid $200s.

I would also highly recommend Smyra as another affordable option. You can definitely find a 15 - 25 year old home for the low to mid $200s - in a nice, established neighborhood.

If you need someone to show you around, please let me know. I work with a lot of people relocating to Atlanta and truly enjoy it!

-- Kerry

Last edited by kerryinatlanta; 07-28-2008 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: boo boo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta