Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 01:16 PM

74 posts, read 173,308 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I'm looking to relocate to the Atlanta area. I will be working in Griffin GA. Staying there is out the question lol.. I'm a 27 yr old male and wanted to be close as possible to the city. I don't mind a little commute to work. I was checking out the Riverdale area, and Fayetteville area. Could you guys give me some insight on these areas. I'm currently in Chicago IL so I'm not really "familiar" with the atlanta suburbs.

Thanks alot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 04:22 PM

725 posts, read 1,504,150 times
Riverdale over Fayetteville.

Riverdale is about 15 miles from the city. However it is right smack in the middle of I285, I85, I75, 3 miles from the airport and it's not far from I20. So basically Riverdale has a really good location for a city on the southside. It has surprisingly good ethnic restaurants. And the best part of all its cheap as h*ll to live there. Cheaper than you will ever imagine. next to me a 3 bdrm is 599 a month. 1st month free. Fayeteville is slightly more expensive.

Fayettville in my opinon is boring... while Riverdale is suburban, Fayetville is really laid back. Probably not attractive for somebody wanting a more urban experience. Especially from the CHi

The bad part about riverdale is the schools. If you have school age children, with all due respect, avoid clayton County. The crime is pretty bad, but you asked for city life.

I would like to add if you are coming to Atlanta it is important to live near your school/job cause traffic is bad. If you have to work in Atlanta consider Atlanta there are some good deals there. If you are intrested let me know. Since you work in Griffin... Riverdale is kinda a journey and if you think traffic isn't gonna be bad because you avoid Atlanta.... think again

Old 04-01-2010, 07:02 PM

339 posts, read 693,495 times
If possible you might prefer to live in Jonesboro over Riverdale. I think Jonesboro is a better area than Riverdale and depending where in Griffin you will be working you may be able to take 19/41 (Tara Blvd-in Clayton Co) straight into Griffin.

As much as I love Fayetteville, I think it might be a bit too laid back and definitely too far of a commute to Griffin and into Atlanta. Jonesboro you could pick up I-75 off of Tara and head straight into Atlanta.

If you are looking for apts Jonesboro zip codes are 30236 and 30238. Check on Mt. Zion Blvd and on GA 138 (in those zip codes south of GA 85) for apts. I'd stay away from apts on Tara Blvd in the above mention zip codes for now at least.

Also avoid Riverdale Rd zip code 30274 for apts.

Another area you may want to check for apts is Lovejoy and Hampton. Again they may be too laid back and definitely the commute is further away from Atlanta than Jonesboro; these areas are south of Jonesboro, but they are nice and will put you closer to Griffin. Not sure of the zip codes for Hampton and Lovejoy but that should be easy to find.

Needless to say, you will need a car.

Good luck to you in your move

Old 04-05-2010, 09:40 AM

74 posts, read 173,308 times
NYPeach, and theATLien, thanks sooo much for your help you guys.. If Riverdale is cheap then I will consider that. I don't mind driving about 40 mins into work.(actually thats pretty much what I drive now). I hope you guys don't mind me sending you private messages if I have further questions about my journey to the ATL area.. thanks again.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:30 PM

26 posts, read 79,832 times
Anytime I drive through Riverdale I hum the theme from Grand Theft Auto IV.

(watch your back and be careful)

Old 04-07-2010, 05:43 PM

339 posts, read 693,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skypirate7 View Post
Anytime I drive through Riverdale I hum the theme from Grand Theft Auto IV.

(watch your back and be careful)
I know I shouldn't laugh at this, but I can't help it. Riverdale maybe inexpensive, but... that' why I suggested Jonesboro, Hampton and Lovejoy.

Funny thing is I remember when Riverdale was decent I lived there at that time, but now...'nuff said. But I do hope it rebounds, Riverdale could be nice again.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:44 PM

845 posts, read 1,681,312 times
My long time lady friend moved to the Atlanta area four years ago and until recently shared her brother's house in Union City. Wanting a place of her own and being an airline employee, she decided to rent a 1 BR apartment in Riverdale. Nice apartment and some of the neighbors in the complex are very nice but there are loud, young party people there and more seem to be appearing weekly. She is not on a long term lease and wants to find a place there or within a reasonable drive of the airport.

I suggested she look for a place that had either an age restriction or is an "adults only" complex but she doesn't know where to start looking. She's a young 56 and not looking for senior housing. At present she's paying $529 per month and wants to stay in that general price range.

I tried calling a property management company who has lots of apartments in that area and they insisted that it's illegal to rent to "adults only" or to restrict tenants to being 55+. I know that's not the case but need to look beyond that company. She is flexible, is not low income or high income, and will be perfectly comfortable in a place that's all Black, all White or racially mixed. Suggestions or ideas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta