Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 10:43 AM

169 posts, read 561,914 times

Advertisements

Just wondering what people think about this ranking? I wasn't surprised to know it is very conservative, but the number two county in the US?! It seems that this ranking proves that a lot of the county didn't get out to vote and is not representing themselves completely. What about the Hispanic population, not to mention the illegals, that relies on liberal ideals to keep them housed, healthy, and fed? Without the free aide available, this part of Forsyth county would be in trouble and believe me there are a lot of them. It just shows me that these blanket rankings are not very accurate and are not really getting the whole picture. I am sure this was beneficial to some such as Realtors.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 AM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
A large part of Forsyth County is comprised of high-income, high-achievement individuals that are part of a family. Such people tend to believe in values such as:

Limiting the Federal government to the powers granted to it by the United States Constitution.
Self-determination with minimal interference or assistance of government.
Freedom over security.
The Federal government's primary role as provider of the common defense of its' people (securing its' borders, et al).

So, I'm not surprised it would achieve such a ranking.

Old 04-05-2010, 11:23 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
The subject matter has already been covered-

Fayette, Forsyth, Cherokee counties among most conservative

Old 04-05-2010, 03:05 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
A large part of Forsyth County is comprised of high-income, high-achievement individuals that are part of a family. Such people tend to believe in values such as:

Limiting the Federal government to the powers granted to it by the United States Constitution.
Self-determination with minimal interference or assistance of government.
Freedom over security.
The Federal government's primary role as provider of the common defense of its' people (securing its' borders, et al).

So, I'm not surprised it would achieve such a ranking.
Yup. When you're born into relative wealth, don't experience serious job loss or savings-draining health issues, and have a good family support network close by to assist, there are a lot of things you never really have to worry about. The government should stick to its own business, and anyone not in the same position as myself is obviously too lazy or stupid to bother with. Let them sink or swim.

Must be nice.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:20 PM

169 posts, read 561,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
The subject matter has already been covered-

Fayette, Forsyth, Cherokee counties among most conservative
This may have been covered, but obviously people are not finished discussing it. Not to mention my post is mentioning the question of the validity of the ranking due to the forgotten population (Hispanics etc.) of Forsyth in particular. I think this county loves the idea that the south Forsythians are in the spotlight and the rest of the county is silenced as noted in the previous posters response. It is sad how this county is so divided.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:31 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
The truth is most people who have wealth worked hard to get it and got breaks and they also gained their wealth in their generation in many cases.

Its easy to pick on those with money but unfortunately many of the poor and even middle class dig themselves a bigger hole by their spending habits, we all see it everyday. We all know people who make much more money then us but have nothing to show for it but a few toys while there are others who never made more then $60k/yr yet are worth a million+. Having no personal finance education anywhere doesn't help break the cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Yup. When you're born into relative wealth, don't experience serious job loss or savings-draining health issues, and have a good family support network close by to assist, there are a lot of things you never really have to worry about. The government should stick to its own business, and anyone not in the same position as myself is obviously too lazy or stupid to bother with. Let them sink or swim.

Must be nice.

Old 04-05-2010, 03:44 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
The truth is most people who have wealth worked hard to get it and got breaks and they also gained their wealth in their generation in many cases.
You'd be surprised to find that the Horatio Alger myth is called a myth for a reason. A hundred years ago, your comment would be accurate. Better than 80% of wealthy individuals worked to get that way. Not so much today. The "self-made" man/woman is largely a thing of the past. Overwhelmingly people who have money now have it because they inherited it. Not from the so-called rugged individualism and hard work.

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine...0067_mz021.htm

Last edited by RoslynHolcomb; 04-05-2010 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: Forgot to Add the Link

Old 04-05-2010, 03:50 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,511,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post

Must be nice.

I like this.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:02 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
Its not always the case but personally I disagree with this idea. I am in the 15% tax bracket but know people have are in their 50's and have less to their name. It isn't always about inheriting money as much as it is spending less then you make and limiting illness and job loss (the two big unknown factors, I agree).

The data collected in books like "The Millionaire Next Door" point to this well. Our concept of the average millionaire in this country is generally quite different then reality. Many that inherit large sums of money are not able to hold onto it for long. Just as many lottery winners are broke within 5 years.

Just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
You'd be surprised to find that the Horatio Alger myth is called a myth for a reason. A hundred years ago, your comment would be accurate. Better than 80% of wealthy individuals worked to get that way. Not so much today. The "self-made" man/woman is largely a thing of the past. Overwhelmingly people who have money now have it because they inherited it. Not from the so-called rugged individualism and hard work.

BW Online | December 1, 2003 | Commentary: Waking Up From The American Dream

Old 04-05-2010, 04:10 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,619,313 times
Did you read the Business Week article which points out the fact that incomes have actually shrunk over the past 30 years? It's hard to hold on to what you have when you're making so much less of it, and the cost of goods and services certainly isn't going down?

Quote:
limiting illness and job loss
Wonder how one goes about doing that? Presumably there are millions who'd like to know. Might even make you a million or two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta