U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Would you ride maglev to Savannah over car at least 50% of time?
Yes 50 73.53%
No 7 10.29%
Maybe/Not sure 10 14.71%
Other (pleas specify) 1 1.47%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Unread 04-07-2010, 10:37 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,802,281 times
Default Maglev to Savannah - would you ride?

If there were a maglev that could get you to Savannah in 3 hours - and by proxy Tybee Island and Hilton Head in almost the same time, would you take it even if it meant taking a taxi when you got to Savannah? Would you do this at least 50% of the time over driving.

This is a completely hypothetical thing. Obviously, the state has talked about maglev to Savannah port, but I'm just looking to see what people would do.

Main reason I'm curious is because one of Atlanta's weaknesses is distance from the beach. I think a maglev to the beach, that doubles as a connection to Savannah for freight and tourism, could make that into much less of a weakness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 04-08-2010, 04:20 AM

2,642 posts, read 4,921,961 times
I would take a maglev ANYWHERE. How cool....

Unread 04-08-2010, 05:31 AM

2,657 posts, read 5,124,121 times
I'd take a Maglev or bullet train. In fact, I'd be happy if the Atlanta to Savannah line is the only bullet train line that existed in the United States.

Unread 04-08-2010, 05:59 AM

12,105 posts, read 17,033,084 times
In a heartbeat. The idea of reading while traveling to Savannah instead of making that horrible trek down I-16 is too good to entertain. Bliss!

Unread 04-08-2010, 06:56 AM
JPD

7,192 posts, read 6,959,720 times
I would do it 100% of the time.

That drive is SSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOO BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRINNNNNGG!

I'd probably also go there about ten times more often than I do now.

Unread 04-08-2010, 08:27 AM

8,454 posts, read 10,636,795 times
Yes, definitely.

It would be oh-so-great especially if the maglev pulled into a station in or very close to the historic district/downtown. Very walkable and no need for a long taxi ride.

I'm missing my Savannah as I write this.

Unread 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM

3,565 posts, read 2,066,678 times
By the time this state's government gets around to doing anything about transportation, including a maglev, you'll be able, instead, to simply have Scotty beam you from Atlanta to Savannah...

Unread 04-08-2010, 09:35 AM

12,105 posts, read 17,033,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
By the time this state's government gets around to doing anything about transportation, including a maglev, you'll be able, instead, to simply have Scotty beam you from Atlanta to Savannah...
*Chuckle*

Unread 04-08-2010, 10:22 AM

9,914 posts, read 12,930,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
If there were a maglev that could get you to Savannah in 3 hours - and by proxy Tybee Island and Hilton Head in almost the same time, would you take it even if it meant taking a taxi when you got to Savannah? Would you do this at least 50% of the time over driving.
Yes, at least for a few trips. The drive from Atlanta to Savannah isn't exactly the most exciting drive in the world.

Heck, I'd go the first time just to ride the train!

Unread 04-08-2010, 12:30 PM

6,272 posts, read 5,856,761 times
I would be totally down for that since Savannah and the surrounding area is one of my favorite places in the world. The economic benefits would be great for both cities. People in Savannah could commute to Atlanta for work and vice versa. You could take the train in to Savannah and rent a car to go to Tybee, Hilton Head, or St. Simons and be back in Atlanta for dinner. Not to mention the jobs that would need to be created to build and maintain such a train.

Sadly, I agree with everyone who said that the current state leadership is the biggest problem in making this a reality. Keep in mind this isn't a left or right political argument. People from both parties are capable of being progressively minded about infrastruce development. The problem right now is that the state "leaders" are more concerned about their little fifedoms in their particular corner of Georgia than seeing the bigger picture for the whole state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta