Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 10:50 PM

91 posts, read 248,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Lots of smog, so does DC
High city taxes DC is higher
High water prices DC is higher
Bad traffic this maybe true
Poor educational system, don't know about DC educational system
Low reading rates/generally unintelligent populace? actually Atlanta ranks high in percentage of population with some form of a Degree.
Poor transit system, did you live in clayton?
Surrounded by neo- and paleoconservatives, actually Atlanta is a Liberal city the suburbs are conservative.
In a state that observes "Confederate History Month", Actually that’s Virginia next to DC umm yeah
Nothing to do on Fri/Sat/Sun, an Exaggeration
Extremely racially balkanized, don't get me started on DC
Very low fan support of local teams, honestly they need to win.
Very hot summers, better than cold winters
No liquor sales on Sunday this maybe be true in some places
You're still in Georgia wow
Our smog comes from the flood of out-of-towners that came after 1996.

You live in DC, why should taxes be lower? You have to pay to have that address. Nation's capital, high taxes? Yes. Podunk town in a forest in an ignorant state? No.

I don't know about DC water.

Atlanta has some of America's widest and jammed freeways... (NORTH America, that is).

I was talking about MARTA rail which hasn't been expanded in 14 years, not Clayton; but what the county commissioners did there was just plain ugly.

ATLANTA IS NOT LIBERAL NOR PROGRESSIVE. Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Honolulu, SF/Oakland are liberal. Atlanta is definitely conservative. What, because there are blacks on board and streets named after blacks it's liberal? Give me a break.

DC is not a state; you must have been educated in Georgia. I would rather my political unit be fully liberal and touch a conservative state rather than be surrounded by conservatism thus voiding my presidential/electoral college vote.

Entertainment? Drive down any major thoroughfare at midnight. You can breakdance and moonwalk then do a handstand walk all the way across the street because no one is out and that's because there's nothing to do... except get shot at in College Park/Clayton County or get busted for DUI coming back from Chamblee/Tucker/Stone Mountain.

You think Atlanta isn't racially balkanized? Do you not remember the "yellow line" controversy? How many minorities live in NW or NE? How many whites live in SW and SE?

Liquor sales on Sunday are illegal in Georgia; go look it up in OCGA.

And Georgia is still a crappy state. It doesn't even produce the highest number of peaches; South Carolina does. Georgia produces more peanuts than peaches. There aren't even any peaches on Peachtree -- any of the 128 streets named Peachtree, that is.

And it's a one-newspaper town.

And the High Museum isn't that great. MoMA it is not.

Last edited by k-sol; 04-10-2010 at 11:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Bad traffic is also true with DC. The Braves might not get as much support as they did in the 90's, but they still get more then Falcons, Hawks, and Thrashers. Living in Georgia is not necessarily a bad thing, but I don't care for their politics, which is part of the reason why its having problems now such as lack of efficient public transit.
What's the most dangerous time in Georgia? When the General Assembly is in session. They just come up with any kind of stupidity to make into a law. Guns at church? Classes before getting a divorce? How many state flags have we had? How about some better water management? How about some city planning? How about getting more than one international airport for the whole state? Georgia did not even put forth a plan to secure federal funding for improved mass transit. Even the Lt. Gov. did a presentation saying that because of Atlanta's traffic problems, three companies, Chiquita, KMart Holding Comp and MeadWestvaco, chose to relocate their headquarters elsewhere. With our 10% unemployment rate, that's tens of thousands of jobs that Georgia does not have and could use. And then you have Dummy Purdoo who hates Atlanta so much that he moved quite a few state offices to all sorts of remote locations where they don't help anyone. I can't respect a governor named "Sonny". I lived under Jesse "The Mind" Ventura and he was an Einstein compared to this nut.

And aren't the Thrashers and the Hawks doing good now? Where's the fan support? I've been going for the Hawks since they had the short shorts, played in the Omni and Mike Fratello was coach (that was when Detroit or Boston would annihilate them).

Last edited by k-sol; 04-10-2010 at 11:14 PM.. Reason: 3rd company was Mead not Novell

Old 04-11-2010, 07:32 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
That's still smog, more than likely that not why smog is there in DC and I sure DC had smog before 96. The point is you can't say Atlanta has smog as if DC don't.

You live in DC, why should taxes be lower? You have to pay to have that address. Nation's capital, high taxes? Yes. Podunk town in a forest in an ignorant state? No.
umm You said Atlanta taxes are higher than DC which is beyond false, but from this point it oblivious to see you have a hate for Atlanta. That's why your going out your way to call places slurs, so noting you say will probably be taken seriously.

DC has a higher coast of living everything in DC is higher.

Atlanta has some of America's widest and jammed freeways... (NORTH America, that is).
I said that maybe true, but from what I hear DC isn't much better.

I was talking about MARTA rail which hasn't been expanded in 14 years, not Clayton; but what the county commissioners did there was just plain ugly.
If you lived in the city of Atlanta your be find. Then when I first move to Metro Atlanta I stay in Doraville marta was very convenient.

ATLANTA IS NOT LIBERAL NOR PROGRESSIVE. Minneapolis, Los Angeles, Honolulu, SF/Oakland are liberal. Atlanta is definitely conservative. What, because there are blacks on board and streets named after blacks it's liberal? Give me a break.
No because Atlanta has things like the 3rd highiest percatage of LGBT in city population, Hartsfield was one of the first mayors in south to support desegregation and because Atlanta was a major organizing center of the Civil Rights Movement. Atlanta is liberial city but the suburbs are conservative sorry.

DC is not a state; you must have been educated in Georgia. I would rather my political unit be fully liberal and touch a conservative state rather than be surrounded by conservatism thus voiding my presidential/electoral college vote.
Actually Obama slightly won metro Atlanta but not the state. But you said In a state (Georgia) that observes "Confederate History Month", and I said Actually that’s Virginia next to DC umm yeah, (never said DC is a state) but that Virginia and Confederate History thing is all over the news and there even a thread on this check it out.
www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/942683-where-mid-atlantic-meets-south

Entertainment? Drive down any major thoroughfare at midnight. You can breakdance and moonwalk then do a handstand walk all the way across the street because no one is out and that's because there's nothing to do... except get shot at in College Park/Clayton County or get busted for DUI coming back from Chamblee/Tucker/Stone Mountain.
umm NO, Exaggeration nice poem though!

You think Atlanta isn't racially balkanized? Do you not remember the "yellow line" controversy? How many minorities live in NW or NE? How many whites live in SW and SE?
Yellow line controversy are you serious? your trying too hard. And then the metro area is mostly white there going to be areas that majority white like DC has, logic.

I could swear I bought liquor on sunday before.

And Georgia is still a crappy state. It doesn't even produce the highest number of peaches; South Carolina does. Georgia produces more peanuts than peaches. There aren't even any peaches on Peachtree -- any of the 128 streets named Peachtree, that is.
ummm OK? by the way "peach" came from 'Pitch tree" Atlanta is locate where standing peachtree once was a Native American village. Georgia being the Peach state has nothing to do with Peaches genius! And your throwing the kitchen sink to dislike now, you don’t like Georgia why because there no Peachtree, just sad.

what you said sure why not

umm yeah

Old 04-11-2010, 07:49 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,074,708 times
Quote:
That's still smog, more than likely that not why smog is there in DC and I sure DC had smog before 96. The point is you can't say Atlanta has smog as if DC don't.

umm You said Atlanta taxes are higher than DC which is beyond false, but from this point it oblivious to see you have a hate for Atlanta. That's why your going out your way to call places slurs, so noting you say will probably be taken seriously.

DC has a higher coast of living everything in DC is higher.

I said that maybe true, but from what I hear DC isn't much better.

If you lived in the city of Atlanta your be find. Then when I first move to Metro Atlanta I stay in Doraville marta was very convenient.

No because Atlanta has things like the 3rd highiest percatage of LGBT in city population, Hartsfield was one of the first mayors in south to support desegregation and because Atlanta was a major organizing center of the Civil Rights Movement. Atlanta is liberial city but the suburbs are conservative sorry.

Actually Obama slightly won metro Atlanta but not the state. But you said In a state (Georgia) that observes "Confederate History Month", and I said Actually that’s Virginia next to DC umm yeah, (never said DC is a state) but that Virginia and Confederate History thing is all over the news and there even a thread on this check it out.
www.city-data.com/forum/general-u-s/942683-where-mid-atlantic-meets-south

umm NO, Exaggeration nice poem though!

Yellow line controversy are you serious? your trying too hard. And then the metro area is mostly white there going to be areas that majority white like DC has, logic.

I could swear I bought liquor on sunday before.

ummm OK? by the way "peach" came from 'Pitch tree" Atlanta is locate where standing peachtree once was a Native American village. Georgia being the Peach state has nothing to do with Peaches genius! And your throwing the kitchen sink to dislike now, you don’t like Georgia why because there no Peachtree, just sad.

what you said sure why not

umm yeah
LOL Good one, Chi...psssssssssst is that the sound of some big pompous balloon deflating?

Old 04-11-2010, 07:57 AM

324 posts, read 659,547 times
This Thread will be closed afterwhile too much bickering. K-sol is all over the place with these exxagerated claims let the 12 year old have his fun

Old 04-11-2010, 08:36 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,019,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-sol View Post

And the High Museum isn't that great. MoMA it is not.[/quote]

Education wise, DC is ranked last. Check the stats.

HIV, DC is ranked #1 in Aids in America...check the stats

Last call in DC is 1:45am on the weekday...lol

DC has no skyline

DC traffic is worse, check the states on last year

DC is more racist. Check out all the middle class black homes that were burned down in the suburbs of DC.

DC has a lot more murders each year

Everything is too expensive in DC

DC is a nice to visit but a HORRIBLE place to live

Old 04-11-2010, 08:40 AM

311 posts, read 843,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
This Thread will be closed afterwhile too much bickering. K-sol is all over the place with these exxagerated claims let the 12 year old have his fun

^^Lol i agree...and some of the things being argued over kinda don't make sense in regards to someone's livelihood...but I'll address some kinda irrelevant things from a purely DC standpoint

1) Sport Team Support-Nationals Games (if it's not opening day) aren't all that stellar in attendance either since they've lost so much previously, same with the Mystics...we have long-term fans with the redskins, and Caps is our most popular team due to their extraordinary Hockey Record, but I would think people NOT showing up to games would be a good thing since ticket prices would be cheaper and you deal with less drunk jerks lol

2) Taxes-OK-ONCE and for all, taxes in DC...prices in DC in general are higher than ATL...there should be no argument over that one

3) Water-In a sense DC water prices could be higher than ATl not only because of the taxes but because it's an unsaid thing that DC tap water is not really safe for drinking...we've had past scares due to that so people honestly just pay extra for bottled regardless of which is "Greener"

4) Buying Liquor on a Sunday......alot of DC liquor stores (aka the cheap cornerstore ones and not the wine shops and grocery stores) are closed on Sunday or even Mondays (hey everyone needs a break)...quick solution is to buy the cheaper stuff on Friday/Saturday like most everyone else

5) Votes...DC has one electoral Presidential vote due to how small we are, but that's it in terms of what we affect politically on a national scale. We pay very high taxes yet don't have representation in the House or State of Representatives...we are nearly 600,000 people strong (about 400,000 away from rhode island's pop) paying higher taxes than most states and our voice is not heard on issues. Do you know how that feels? ....please count your stars you have at least SOME sayso with your representatives and not have to suffer as much as we do financially...hence why DC license tags have the slogan "Taxation without representation"

Entertainment-DC is not NYC...and yes I've been in NYC...our establishments actually close pretty early for me (usually 2 AM or at latest 3 AM)...and (correct me If I'm wrong) when I was in downtown ATL I saw more places that were open later and some 24 hour places as well. 24 Hour places in DC is scare, maybe a rogue 7-11 or Ben's Chili Bowl which is just about 24 hour lol

Either way...since the user isn't going to NYC and I think DC/ATL are both ok cities I say just go where the money takes you? You'll find bad things with all cities but being able to live comfortably in your city should be the biggest factor

Old 04-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkspice23 View Post
You know what, you all flew here, I grew here.

Last edited by k-sol; 04-11-2010 at 12:23 PM..

Old 04-11-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:

WHAT!? Atlanta is 60% BLACK. The Yellow Line was MARTA's line in Chamblee/Doraville where the population is highly Asian. That's why it was a problem. You can't call the Asian area "the yellow area". SW and SE are predominately BLACK. NW and especially NE are WHITE. You obviously know nothing of my city (or English grammar).

Like many native Atlantans, this is why I hate out-of-towners. How many of you here are natives -- born here with a Social Security number starting with 252 through 259? You all think you know everything when you really don't know anything about our city. You all don't respect our local culture; I can tell an out-of-towner by the language they use. You're all our guests and thanks to the economy tanking, hopefully you'll all be gone soon. Atlanta was much better when it was smaller.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:57 PM

1,259 posts, read 2,257,658 times
Moving somewhere without a job is a bad idea, unless you've got some money saved up. I've lived in both Atlanta and DC. DC has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the country right now, Atlanta's unemployment rate is near or above the national average, so keep that in mind, it will may be much harder to find a job.

DC has a better night life in my opinion also. They have several centralized party areas which I like more. Everything in Atlanta is scattered out. The bad, is that DC has a very high cost of living. I had a friend move there unemployed who could not find a job and she had to return to Atlanta. Its very hard to live comfortably in DC and make less thank 30k a year, unless you have a roomate. Even if you make more, many people there have roomates. A cheap one bed room apartment, in a not so good area will run you $1000/month easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta