U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 10:01 AM

7,846 posts, read 14,897,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Thanks for posting the CBPP article neil, but I'm not sure I see where it supports your point. Do you have any more information on how the proposed legislation helps reduce waste?
Not sure I get your point...sounds like apples and oranges. Posting the CBPP article was to illustrate the fiscal difficulty that most states find themselves in today.

Not sure what you mean about reducing waste or where that's relevant to this discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 10:03 AM

897 posts, read 1,460,091 times
Yawn,i don't give a darn whether Georgia has an arts council. Georgia's government has much more important things to be thinking about and doing.

Old 04-19-2010, 10:54 AM

719 posts, read 1,477,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
Yawn,i don't give a darn whether Georgia has an arts council. Georgia's government has much more important things to be thinking about and doing.
Well, with thoughts like that, maybe you're right. Maybe the Sahara of the Bozarts (look it up) doesn't have much need for it.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David674UT View Post
Georgia's government has much more important things to be thinking about and doing.
I won't say I don't give a damn about it, but I think this statement is very true.

When you have limited resources, you have to set priorities, and ultimately fewer resources may be allocated to one thing versus another, and in my mind we have other more important priorities when we have to stack rank them for constrained resources.

This also opens up a more academic question as to whether or not it's the job of government to be taking taxpayer money and giving it out to "arts councils" at all. I support the arts, and I think it's legitimate to ask whether that should be a privately funded item.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I won't say I don't give a damn about it, but I think this statement is very true.

When you have limited resources, you have to set priorities, and ultimately fewer resources may be allocated to one thing versus another, and in my mind we have other more important priorities when we have to stack rank them for constrained resources.

This also opens up a more academic question as to whether or not it's the job of government to be taking taxpayer money and giving it out to "arts councils" at all. I support the arts, and I think it's legitimate to ask whether that should be a privately funded item.
There are no "limited resources", only various competing visions and schemes for carving them up, etc. But to carve them up, you first have to define them, and that's what is most in dispute nowadays.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
There are no "limited resources"
You are kidding right? Do you not view the money the state has to spend as a limited resource?

The limited resources are the tax dollars taken in by the state each year. A budget has two sides of the equation, the taxes taken in by the state and the expenditures made with those resources.

Old 04-19-2010, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
You are kidding right? Do you not view the money the state has to spend as a limited resource?

The limited resources are the tax dollars taken in by the state each year. A budget has two sides of the equation, the taxes taken in by the state and the expenditures made with those resources.
Of course I realize the money the state has to spend is limited, which is my whole point. They're as limited as they can possibly be. And as such, they're subject to being defined and redefined on an ongoing basis. That process is subject to fierce dispute at all times, as evidenced by our discussion.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:33 PM

247 posts, read 382,092 times
All you have to do is look at the Marta Stations and the Airport at the "art" that government paid hundreds of thousands of dollars for to understand why art doesn't get support from Georgia taxpayers.

Our politicians have turned "art" into a jobs program for any friend or relative of theirs with some plywood and spray paint.

If you want art to have more public backing, then demand that the stuff being bought by governments really is art; art that would be a commercial success elsewhere.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:20 AM

37 posts, read 63,187 times
Yes, but in fairness you'll find questionable "art" in many cities. Some do it much better than others. However I am in agreement, I cringe just a little everytime I see the big mural going up to baggage claim. But she did seem to capture the spirit of Atlanta.

Last edited by Backinblac; 04-20-2010 at 09:37 AM..

Old 04-20-2010, 11:04 AM

247 posts, read 382,092 times
My own personal favorite is the little blue plywood "waves" nestled in a "sea" of gravel at one of the northbound Marta Train stations. That particular masterpiece must've taken at least 15 minutes to create.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or