Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:36 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,031 times

Advertisements

Here's an article: Arts Council elimination prompts Monday march | Atlanta INtown Paper

What do you make of this?

I think it's deplorable, but hardly surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:12 AM

969 posts, read 1,958,127 times
What is wrong with this state??? The recession is not an excuse as other states are still able to find SOME money for transportation, education, and art.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:15 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,182,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
What is happening to this state?!
Nothing different than almost every other state. Take the time to actually understand the facts.

http://www.cbpp.org/cms/?fa=view&id=1214

If you take the time to read the article, first...the budget hasn't passed the Senate or been signed yet. Second...the change was made to streamline and eliminate duplication. There are still "arts councils" that perform similar functions. Third...if we have to choose priorities and cut things like public safety or education, then something like an "arts council" isn't all that high on the priority list, at least to me.

Last edited by neil0311; 04-18-2010 at 11:33 AM..

Old 04-18-2010, 09:50 PM

642 posts, read 2,218,164 times
Quote:
What is wrong with this state??? The recession is not an excuse as other states are still able to find SOME money for transportation, education, and art.
How much time do you have?

Old 04-19-2010, 05:57 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,182,104 times
Quote:
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
My guess (although my mind reading skills suck despite being married) is that is supposed to mean that Georgia is soooooo messed up that you'd need a bunch of time to read all about it.

All I can say is I wonder if some of you folks have actually lived in other states? The way some people trash GA, it seems they think other states are lands of milk and honey with money overflowing to go with their social and transit utopias.

Maybe it's just political and some people can't stand that GA is run by Republicans, so everything here is "messed up" to them. All I can say is check out other states, many of which are run by Democrats.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:58 AM

969 posts, read 1,958,127 times
Ah, I think I see what they meant. I apologize for the reaction... I can be very sensitive on these boards!

Anyways, I'm from North Carolina (which is run by Democrats) where I have lived for quite awhile. Although they are having problems, their education system as a whole is better than Georgia's (although I think the Atlanta metro has pretty good schools), they can still find money to mow the highways, work together to figure out transportation solutions, and support the arts. I'm only in the state of Georgia because I like Atlanta better than any other city in North Carolina.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:02 AM

37 posts, read 74,607 times
Ya'll just don't know where you moved. Low priced living comes with a catch here in GA. This is a state that has never valued 'humanites' in it's entire exitstance. People here would rather see prisons built than fund an arts program.

There's no doubt many states in worse econ shape still fund the arts. However, those state have populations that don't have the history of anti-humanist thought that GA has. You're in some ways getting what you pay for assuming you came here for low cost.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:05 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,248,051 times
I don't see the big deal in government not sponsoring the arts. Arts Center, Midtown, etc., aren't artsy fartsy enough for you?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:06 AM

37 posts, read 74,607 times
Quote:
Ah, I think I see what they meant. I apologize for the reaction... I can be very sensitive on these boards!

Anyways, I'm from North Carolina (which is run by Democrats) where I have lived for quite awhile. Although they are having problems, their education system as a whole is better than Georgia's (although I think the Atlanta metro has pretty good schools), they can still find money to mow the highways, work together to figure out transportation solutions, and support the arts. I'm only in the state of Georgia because I like Atlanta better than any other city in North Carolina.
NC did a great job with RTP. Georgia is playing catch-up and catering to low wage, less skilled type of work.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Nothing different than almost every other state. Take the time to actually understand the facts.

An Update on State Budget Cuts — Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

If you take the time to read the article, first...the budget hasn't passed the Senate or been signed yet. Second...the change was made to streamline and eliminate duplication. There are still "arts councils" that perform similar functions. Third...if we have to choose priorities and cut things like public safety or education, then something like an "arts council" isn't all that high on the priority list, at least to me.
Thanks for posting the CBPP article neil, but I'm not sure I see where it supports your point. Do you have any more information on how the proposed legislation helps reduce waste?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta