Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 01:32 PM

59 posts, read 348,119 times

Advertisements

My company has an office in Alpharetta so my wife and I are considering moving to the north Atlanta area. My mother is from India, and we are coming from central NJ where there is a huge Indian population.

Although I don't need to live in an area where there is a concentration of Indians, I would like to know where to go if I get a hankering for Indian food or if I want to pick up some South Asian groceries.

So what places are growing South Asian areas? I see that there are some Indian restaurants in Decatur to the east and Marietta to the north, but would appreciate any more information you all can give.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 04:26 PM

137 posts, read 435,767 times
AKelley,

The chamblee-dunwoody area is best for Asians, period.

People talk of the Korea town there, but it is not a Korea town, it is a china town. The Chinese own it! The Koreans rent it, and the Mexicans work for it

My wife is a Chinese person from Chinatown (kinda, from Chinatown, she is from Hong Kong technically) and Chinatown of Buford highway in the Chamblee-Dunwoody area is the closest you'll get to Indian anything. However, I do agree Decatur has lots of Indian things and resteraunts, but the town itself does not have an Indian flavor!

I would go with Chinatown for an Asian flavor and go to Decatur for Indian resteraunts. Living in Chinatown is also good if you want to be surronded by Asians!

As I said before, my wife is Chinese so , I love Chinatown!!!!!

You'll also find, in Chinatown there are many busniesses that cater to Asians, even Indians, not just Chinese, Koreans, or Vietnamese!

Last edited by kaiser; 06-21-2007 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: transpositioning errors

Old 06-21-2007, 04:35 PM

985 posts, read 5,756,427 times
Don't know when you live in Georgia. The scene has changed dramatically in Asian community. Chinatown area in Chamblee is considered not so desirable area as most asians move to Gwinnett or North Fulton areas.

There is new Koreatown that just built within past four or five years in Duluth Ga. That's much high end than anything they have in Chinatown.

As for Indian population, Lilburn (especially Parkview school district) has large Indian population as does city of Alpharatta. Most Indian shops are in Dekalb.

Last edited by jxu66; 06-21-2007 at 09:16 PM..

Old 06-21-2007, 04:58 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,655,174 times
Many South Asian Indians rent in the Chamblee-Dunwoody area-- but very few buy in this area. Almost all move further north (ie Duluth, Alpharetta) when they buy homes.

Old 06-21-2007, 05:37 PM

1,145 posts, read 4,210,309 times
My boss lives in Lilburn and says it is 25% indian. Also they are building a new $19 M Hindu temple there.

Alpharetta also has a big indian population.

Old 06-22-2007, 02:38 AM

481 posts, read 2,821,338 times
Chamblee and Lilburn have a lot of Indians/Bengalis. Dunwoody has a lot of east asians but not as much south asians. Alpharetta has a lot of Indians/Bengalis, also the south asians in Alpharetta and the surrounding area are for the most part affluent. East Cobb, Roswell, Milton, Johns Creek, Duluth, Lawrenceville also have a lot of south asians. Other than Lilburn most of the south asians tend to live on the northside of the metro between Marietta and Lawrenceville and north of Buckhead. Pretty much the whole north metro area you'll find south asians spread around the place. There's not really any one main concentration of south asians. Lilburn does but when most Indian families are ready to actually buy then tend to go for the suburban areas with high ranking schools, a lot of Indian renters in Dunwoody but not buyers.

Indian restaurants (most of them in Atlanta actually have Bengali cooks/owners) can be found all over metro Atlanta, mostly in the Dekalb, Gwinnett, and city of Atlanta though also to a lesser degree in Cobb and North Fulton.

Indian shopping and grocery is mostly along the I-85 corridor area as well as Buford Highway. There are tons of grocery and clothing shops in that region, as well as a multi-story Indian mall called Global Mall on Jimmy Carter Boulevard off of I-85, which is the only major mall in Atlanta specializing in a foreign culture. Indian restaurants that have large banquet halls (such as the very popular Zyka in Decatur and Bombay Grill in Chamblee) are known for hosting large parties on basically a daily basis.

There is also a huge Indian student population at GA Tech (most of their families living in the north suburbs).

Anyway Indian restaurants are pretty popular here and you will have absolutely no trouble finding Indian groceries (there are plenty of sari/jewelry shops as well if you're into that stuff), I believe Atlanta has the largest Indian/Bengali/Pakistani population in the country after the New York metro and LA metro areas, so you'll find everything's very convenient once you figure out where everything is.

Also, check this website out to find locations and addresses for different things: AtlantaDesi.com
Also, from that site, here's a decent (but not comprehensive) listing of some the Indian stores around Atlanta. There's a also a restaurant listing on the site, but it's missing stuff too.

Old 06-22-2007, 05:49 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,736,756 times
Last week I took my daughter to a talent show at the library in Duluth and saw the most beautiful presentation of Indian dances I've ever seen by 4, 5 and 6 year old girls. There was a very diverse group of children there and I felt it was representative of the population in the area. So if you're looking for a very nice area and nice homes with a very diverse population and a lot of kids, I'd look in Duluth.

Old 06-22-2007, 07:56 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,003 times
Uninformed - I believe Koreans have moved on to Duluth-Suwanee and Doraville-Norcross quite some time ago. Chamblee-Dunwoody area you are referring to is simply called Chambodia.

As for shopping amenities for Indians, they are spread throughout Gwinnett and somewhat concentrated in the Decatur area. In fact, a few of my favorite Indian restaurants are in Decatur.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiser View Post
AKelley,

The chamblee-dunwoody area is best for Asians, period.

People talk of the Korea town there, but it is not a Korea town, it is a china town. The Chinese own it! The Koreans rent it, and the Mexicans work for it

My wife is a Chinese person from Chinatown (kinda, from Chinatown, she is from Hong Kong technically) and Chinatown of Buford highway in the Chamblee-Dunwoody area is the closest you'll get to Indian anything. However, I do agree Decatur has lots of Indian things and resteraunts, but the town itself does not have an Indian flavor!

I would go with Chinatown for an Asian flavor and go to Decatur for Indian resteraunts. Living in Chinatown is also good if you want to be surronded by Asians!

As I said before, my wife is Chinese so , I love Chinatown!!!!!

You'll also find, in Chinatown there are many busniesses that cater to Asians, even Indians, not just Chinese, Koreans, or Vietnamese!

Old 06-22-2007, 10:43 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,317,475 times
A lot of Indian restaurants, stores, and businesses are on the Scott Boulevard/Lawrenceville Hwy corridor in Decatur. The area boasts a significant South Asian population, as does Lilburn.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:13 AM

13 posts, read 191,614 times
Duluth, Johns Creek, Lilburn, and Alpharetta are probably the big areas. Indians do not have a lot of businesses in these areas, but I see Indians shopping at the two Korean H-Marts all the time... vegetable selection there is quite large and more suited for Asian cuisine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta