Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 09:11 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times

Advertisements

My point about Charlotte wasn't that "everywhere begins as a two land road with nothing". My point was that although NC is more transit friendly than Georgia, Charlotte still has many transportation infrastructure issues. Its roads desperately need to be upgraded, but there isn't enough money because the equity formula NC uses to distribute road money favors rural areas over urban areas. They have a 9 mile light rail line that will cost $1.2 billion to expand 12 miles north. Plus, Atlanta's growth has always been double Charlotte's... and according to the recent census estimates, it still is. Metro Atlanta's transportation issues will be solved one day - there is too much at stake. Perdue and all the other morons won't be running the show forever.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
NC is more transit friendly than Georgia
I go to Charlotte (and the rest of NC) often. I've seen and ridden the light rail system in Charlotte. How on earth can you compare that small stretch of light rail to the mature transit system in Atlanta and say that NC is "more transit friendly than GA?"

Old 04-20-2010, 09:19 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,421,140 times
Quote:
Perdue and all the other morons won't be running the show forever.
That's a great thing. Let's just hope the successors aren't as inept as Perdue and the other clowns. We can wish, right?

Old 04-20-2010, 09:23 PM

969 posts, read 1,958,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I go to Charlotte (and the rest of NC) often. I've seen and ridden the light rail system in Charlotte. How on earth can you compare that small stretch of light rail to the mature transit system in Atlanta and say that NC is "more transit friendly than GA?"
Well for one, unlike GA, NC has dedicated funding for its transit systems. The state continues to support expansion of mass transit in its cities. Also, if you don't recall, NC got $545 million in stimulus money for High Speed Rail (because it has been investing in its rail corridors) while GA got a couple hundred thousand to do some "studies" because GA has done nothing. Also, GA received $80 million for a commuter rail line from Atlanta to Lovejoy which still has never been used. Couple that with the MARTA drama and the fact that they can't come to a consensus on a DECENT transportation bill and I'd say GA is pretty transit unfriendly compared to NC. Plus, the "mature transit system" in Atlanta (aka MARTA) is probably going to end up being smaller than the Charlotte transit system soon with the impending service cuts. It really is unfortunate.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:24 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,185,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
That's a great thing. Let's just hope the successors aren't as inept as Perdue and the other clowns. We can wish, right?
Yes...and I'll ask the same question I've asked many times that no one wants to answer...because they can't.

What was going on for years when the Democrats controlled both the legislature and the Governor's mansion? What did Roy Barnes do during his four years to rectify all these terrible injustices? He had a Democrat legislature, but somehow he wants us to believe (and it seems some of you buy it) that now he'll do all the things he couldn't or wouldn't do last time around.

I'm not saying Perdue is great, but I read the same kind of knee jerk, blind partisanship in this forum that we heard about George Bush. Bush got blamed for everything, including the weather (hurricanes), and Perdue also gets blamed for everything, including the weather (last year's drought).

I'm all for blaming when appropriate, but some of you need some perspective.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:46 PM

128 posts, read 215,081 times
^^^^Well, I dont think we need to resort to bashing politicians. However, the plain truth is the transit situation for an area like Metro Atlanta is deplorable. Consider the following:

I 75 Through Middle Cobb, I 85 in Gwinnett, 285 Top Perimeter, and the Downtown Connector are the most congested choke point in the state of GA, as well as some of the worst choke points in America.

More fatalities happen on the Atl freeway system than any other metros in america

285, 75, and 85 are some of the WORST constructed stretches of interstate in America.(Believe me, Im from Texas. We KNOW freeways. We invented, wrote, re-wrote, edited, and revised the book on freeway construction!)

The truth is GDOT has done a terrible job with transportation planning around metro Atlanta. Ive never rode or seen a freeway system with as WORSE an infrastructure like ours. Forreal, who in their right mind decides that the way to relieve traffic is to "build more lanes!?" Are you serious!? Who on earth really decides to construct a 16 lane wide freeway with no express or local divisions?

Also, I should point out that NO form of transit is completely sustainable by itself. Im a college student here in Atlanta, and as Neil points out, fire and police should be provide by state, but transit is a personal issue. Well, thanks to 8 years of Neo-Con shananigans I currently can barely afford my tuition (which is provided by the state/government). Having a car is not a possibility right now, and me being a taxpayer in the highest taxed section of all of GA (buckhead), I feel it the duty of my government, which I am funding, to provide a useful transit alternative.

Old 04-20-2010, 10:58 PM

128 posts, read 215,081 times
I also feel the attitude displayed by Atlantan suburbanites is hateful, arrogant, and downright racist. One can say all they want about taxes this, and taxes that,etc., but the honest truth is that Atlanta is a very segregated metro that still has Jim Crow in its blood. Atlanta has become quite the wonderful city, with a large part of that due to the contributions of notable african americans within the perimeter. And yes, Cobb, Gwinnett, and North Fulton owe their entire longevity to the success of Atlanta as a whole.

When people think of Atlanta, no one across America bothers to mention Marietta or Duluth, or Cumming, or etc. (no disrespect to those locales......wonderful towns in their own right). Maybe Alpharetta, Decatur, East Point, or College Park have name recognition.....but all due the growth of Atlanta. A proper mass transit system is vital to the future life of the 28 county Metro Atlanta area. Its high time that the state recognize this and actually FUND a decent transit system that links the City with country. Trains and WELL planned highways that complement each other, not 16 lane death traps or tiny back roads with 3 lanes (peachtree rd, NE) that clog up easy.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:14 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,373,576 times
If marta was so nice, why can't they pay their own bills? If something is so useful, why is it a total failure? We all know it is a subsidized system (like the rest of the public transport in atlanta) and a total drain of funds for no good reason.

Oh thats right. They wanted to expand it into cobb and gwinnett so we can all pay for it! Good thing we saw that coming 20 years ago and banned it!

If downsizing to actually meet demand helps them stop bleeding red, good. Finally a turn in the right direction.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 AM

823 posts, read 2,215,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I pay my SPLOST tax and motor fuel taxes, as well as MARTA taxes when I purchase things in Fulton or Dekalb. I still have to pay to maintain my vehicle and put fuel in it to go to work. The state doesn't subsidize my transportation.

You are joking right? You would not be able to drive very far without state subsidized roads. Gas taxes alone don't pay the entire cost.

Quote:
if marta was so nice, why can't they pay their own bills? If something is so useful, why is it a total failure? We all know it is a subsidized system (like the rest of the public transport in atlanta) and a total drain of funds for no good reason.

Oh thats right. They wanted to expand it into cobb and gwinnett so we can all pay for it! Good thing we saw that coming 20 years ago and banned it!

If downsizing to actually meet demand helps them stop bleeding red, good. Finally a turn in the right direction.
MARTA is a public service. It's goal isn't, and shouldn't be to turn a profit. I also don't see how you can say MARTA is a "failure". Nearly half a million people ride MARTA every day.

Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is almost the entire population of the city of Atlanta.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:56 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
Well for one, unlike GA, NC has dedicated funding for its transit systems. The state continues to support expansion of mass transit in its cities. Also, if you don't recall, NC got $545 million in stimulus money for High Speed Rail (because it has been investing in its rail corridors) while GA got a couple hundred thousand to do some "studies" because GA has done nothing. Also, GA received $80 million for a commuter rail line from Atlanta to Lovejoy which still has never been used. Couple that with the MARTA drama and the fact that they can't come to a consensus on a DECENT transportation bill and I'd say GA is pretty transit unfriendly compared to NC. Plus, the "mature transit system" in Atlanta (aka MARTA) is probably going to end up being smaller than the Charlotte transit system soon with the impending service cuts. It really is unfortunate.

So how long do you think It would take Charlotte to get 38 stations commute over 300,000 people a day and have 48 miles of train.... Thats just rail. Not including bus ridership. WHo is to say that in the next 10 years things wont change.... I just dont think this kinda thing is going to happen to where Marta becomes the smallest system its Still right now the 9th largest system so I sure wanna see Charlotte pull that off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta