U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 01:21 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,258,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I think you need to spend more time in math class. They did budget enough money for education- they just didn't collect that amount due to reduced revenues, so there's a budget shortfall. Putting it in a mathematical equation:

Budgeted amount (A)- actual amount collected (B) = shortfall or surplus (C)

Since A was greater than B, C is a shortfall, requiring cuts.

While I agree that education needs to be a top priority and needs adequate funding, when there's not enough $$ to go around, everyone has to take a cut.
You really don't feel that way at all, otherwise you would be open to finding the revenues to at least stop the bleeding from education instead of watching education spending drop lower every year.

4-H has been saved, the arts council has been saved... that means education will be cut even more as sales tax revenues continue to drop in GA.

If voters in GA really valued education, they would be willing to pony up the money to keep the state from mandating teacher furlough days again this year and possibly cutting 5 days from the school year state wide (that means GA kids will just sit home). The money could be found if it were a top priority, but it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 04:35 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,724,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
You really don't feel that way at all, otherwise you would be open to finding the revenues to at least stop the bleeding from education instead of watching education spending drop lower every year.
Wow- you're good- a teacher and a mindreader. I find it amazing that you know how I really feel, even though you don't know me from Adam.

Again, I repeat- the money isn't there, so there must be cuts. Do I like them? Absolutely not. Do I believe that the arts council should have been abolished completely and the money moved to education? Absolutely (probably should have been dumped some time ago, but that's the topic of another current thread). You've got to remember that for every teacher's group out there pushing for more funding, there are also groups representing every other interest pushing just as hard, and our politicians pander to all of them.

This isn't a GA-specific problem, so you can't go with the standard "Georgia doesn't value education" bs- even states like NJ, where everyone says that education is the top priority, are seeing cuts to school funding.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:11 AM

2,683 posts, read 5,196,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
that means education will be cut even more as sales tax revenues continue to drop in GA.
Last time I checked sales tax revenues do not fund education and its a stretch to forecast they will keep falling.

Also, more spending does not always equal better results. Study just came out that said Dekalb county should get rid of 900 jobs which appeared to be pork/unneeded.

Old 04-28-2010, 07:19 AM

7,845 posts, read 14,849,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Also, more spending does not always equal better results. Study just came out that said Dekalb county should get rid of 900 jobs which appeared to be pork/unneeded.
You beat me to the punch on that one. Was going to cite it as an example of where jobs are being cut to save money because after study, and they have been identified as unnecessary.

Budgets tend to grow when times are good, often because folks aren't paying attention. Tax revenues rise when home values rise, and sales and income tax collections rise when the economy is humming along. No one ever questions where all that money often goes. When times are lean, people start to question and often the pork must be cut. That doesn't automatically equate to an impact to the citizens.

Link to the story for those that haven't been keeping up with this one: http://www.ajc.com/news/dekalb/study...to-495704.html

Also interesting are the stats listed in that story, the taxation burdens in each county, and the party in control of the respective counties:

DeKalb govenment compared to Cobb, Gwinnett

DeKalb County

Number of county employees: 8,077

Population: 739,956

Square miles: 268

Residents below poverty level: 14.4 percent

Gwinnett County

Number of county employees: 4,806

Population: 797,422

Square miles: 437

Residents below poverty level: 8.4 percent

Cobb County

Number of county employees: 4,644

Population: 698,158

Square miles: 340

Residents below poverty level: 9.4 percent

Source: Georgia State University study

Last edited by neil0311; 04-28-2010 at 07:31 AM..

Old 04-28-2010, 07:21 AM

55,471 posts, read 74,366,214 times
alota the posts i am reading about teacher layoffs have to do the FTA. the federal program that leap frogs over the hiring process and gives 1st pick to unqualified students in loan default.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:11 PM

1,382 posts, read 3,258,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
Last time I checked sales tax revenues do not fund education and its a stretch to forecast they will keep falling.

Sales taxes most certainly do fund education. In my county, the state funds 49.4%, local is 43%, and federal is 7.6%. That means the state portion is large and that comes from sales tax, corporate income tax, and individual income tax. Up north, a much larger % of school funding comes from the local property taxes.

As far as cutting the "pork", unfortunately those are the last jobs that will be cut unless voters demand just that from the local board members and leadership. Instead, you will get classroom teachers cut first, esp those with fewer than 3 years in the system. That means you are often losing new teachers who would have stuck with the district for many years to come.

The districts have also spent a lot of money recruiting and training these teachers. Once revenues come back, districts might find themselves struggling to attract talent once again, esp. as teachers begin to retire. Young teachers who are laid off now have nowhere to go. There are very few jobs in the metro area, so teachers will be forced to change careers, while also paying off student loans for their teaching degree.

I know, cry me a river, but teaching is not like any other field where you can get a job throughout the year. You have a certain window for hiring and after that, not much is available.

If these layoffs are targeting ineffective teachers (those with unsatisfactory performance reviews) then that would be one thing, but from my research, that is not always the case at all. Teachers are being told they should resign instead of having the district lay them off due to the Reduction in Force. If they resign, then the district doesn't have to pay unemployment and therefore the district's unemployment insurance rates will not rise.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:24 PM

22,693 posts, read 12,147,174 times
Same school board that was going to buy every middle and high school student a laptop a few years back. Talk about pissing money away.....

Old 04-29-2010, 06:02 AM

7,845 posts, read 14,849,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Same school board that was going to buy every middle and high school student a laptop a few years back. Talk about pissing money away.....
Agreed, although that was a SPLOST related program if my memory serves me correctly, not part of the normal CCSD budget.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 AM

472 posts, read 745,329 times
Quote:
I don't understand why a county like Cobb is cutting that many jobs, yet Bibb County (Macon) is hiring. Yes, there is turnover in Bibb, but evidently they can still afford to staff their schools, unlike Cobb.
Nobody wants to send their kids to school in Bibb County, much less work there...

Old 04-29-2010, 10:33 AM

1,652 posts, read 2,878,648 times
I wonder how much of this is due to the weak state of teacher's unions down south. None of this is happening to NYC teachers and there is a budget shortfall in NY as well. Yes, I understand that there are a lot of negatives associated with such a strong union but it also forces government to prioritize education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or