U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:53 PM

11,319 posts, read 22,443,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
lol.....if they turn Dobbins into a commerical airport, then they would HAVE to send MARTA up in to Cobb county...hehehehehehe. I dont think the Cobbers or Neil would allow that anytime soon. lol
I would be far more willing to have MARTA come into Cobb than see Dobbins turned into a commercial airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2010, 08:19 AM

524 posts, read 780,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masonbarge View Post
That's just nonsense. Of course you'd rather connect through CLT or many other small airports. It's easy to run a small airport. But you can't make connections through them. It's like saying Atlanta has the worst roads in the country, you'd much rather drive in Macon.

Of comparable airports, ATL is IMHO the best in the world. If you want to really find a major international airport with lost, stinking people, terrible transportation and parking, lots of missed connections and baggage problems, make your connections through JFK, Charles de Gaulle, ORD, or Heathrow sometime.
Can't make connections thru CLT??? Wow, so I guess the hub that USAirways operates there is just for people originating out of Charlotte. Did you just make this stuff up when you post it?

ATL isn't even close to the best in the world and I have been to ORD and JFK. ATL is always warm and stinky, the terminals are skinny and cramped and the flights are constantly delayed. DIA is twice the airport that ATL is.

Old 05-06-2010, 11:58 AM

135 posts, read 479,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Keep in mind that it will take about 20 years to bring a new airport online.
That ^.

By the time a new airport is built (or runway) NextGen will be implemented making the NAS much more efficient and reduce or even eliminate the need for either alternative.

What Is NextGen? (http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/nextgen/why_nextgen_matters/what/ - broken link)

Old 05-06-2010, 01:31 PM

2,068 posts, read 3,493,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho View Post
That ^.

By the time a new airport is built (or runway) NextGen will be implemented making the NAS much more efficient and reduce or even eliminate the need for either alternative.
Don't buy in to the FAA's rhetoric. NextGen is about improving our utilization of the enroute structure. Having more capacity in the skies is meaningless unless there is more capacity on the ground. You can only land so many planes a minute on a single runway (even less when the weather is bad). NextGen doesn't change that. The major airports are capacity constrained because there isn't enough pavement. NextGen won't fix that.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:11 PM

135 posts, read 479,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
Don't buy in to the FAA's rhetoric. NextGen is about improving our utilization of the enroute structure. Having more capacity in the skies is meaningless unless there is more capacity on the ground. You can only land so many planes a minute on a single runway (even less when the weather is bad). NextGen doesn't change that. The major airports are capacity constrained because there isn't enough pavement. NextGen won't fix that.
While it does mostly improve capacity in skies, it also makes runways more efficient (ADS-B). I do see your point, though.

Also, another runway or airport will not change the weather problem. There is nothing that can be done about that.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:52 PM

2,068 posts, read 3,493,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho View Post
While it does mostly improve capacity in skies, it also makes runways more efficient (ADS-B).
Well, I don't really believe the FAA when they make this claim. It's not going to allow them to reduce the in-trail spacing. It might allow them to reduce the allowed distance between two runways for simultaneous instrument approach operations, but I'm skeptical that the guys who actually look at these things from a safety perspective would go for that. Even if that were the case, that will only impact certain airports and ATL isn't one of them.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:39 AM

5,207 posts, read 6,182,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
There was a study that showed that a maglev to Chattanooga could relieve congestion. Why study a second airport?

I DO NOT want a second airport ANYWHERE in the metro area and the noise and pollution it would bring. If it were to be built, it'd have to be farther out than Cartersville.

I'm all for the maglev to Chattanooga and NOT for a second airport.
Solid

Old 05-09-2010, 11:33 AM

5,212 posts, read 4,267,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Hartsfield's O&D traffic is already more than the combined O&D of several metro markets with multiple airports such as Houston and Tampa.

Keep in mind that it will take about 20 years to bring a new airport online. And by that time the ARC projects the metro population will be between 7-8 million.
Twenty years to refurbish a general aviation airfield, or to build an airport from scratch?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:28 PM

9,110 posts, read 17,068,451 times
10 Years or so to re-build a GA field I'd Guess 20+ to do it from scratch. Dobbins will never be the 2nd airport, Not enought open land around it for every thing a airport needs Also has only 1 runway. A 2nd airport will need min 2, Primary & Cross/wind. 7500-10,000 feet long. and land for 2nd runway next to them.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:03 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,482,199 times
Heres and idea. If georgia needs another airport to expand. Why not expand augusta regional airport. The airport is surrounded by land and is already growing. Image it an all georgia hub for delta, that would be huge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or