Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2010, 06:31 AM

69 posts, read 206,166 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm on here a few times with different questions, I feel this is a great tool for those of us that are moving to a new area and know nothing.

Can I have some advice about the schools in these areas, any info. is welcome both positive and negative. I'm looking at safety, crime, education, size of classrooms, school building/technology, staff and other families/kids.

We have two children ages 7 and 13. So I would need Elementary and High Schools that would be the best at this time. We are looking at so many homes and they all seem to have different schools it's so confusing.

We want a friendly based, family oriented community like feel. We are down to earth people that raise our children with respect and behavior. We try and take lots of outdoor adventures and enjoy spending time as a family.

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2010, 06:45 AM

16,648 posts, read 29,370,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kad1974 View Post
Hello,
I'm on here a few times with different questions, I feel this is a great tool for those of us that are moving to a new area and know nothing.

Can I have some advice about the schools in these areas, any info. is welcome both positive and negative. I'm looking at safety, crime, education, size of classrooms, school building/technology, staff and other families/kids.

We have two children ages 7 and 13. So I would need Elementary and High Schools that would be the best at this time. We are looking at so many homes and they all seem to have different schools it's so confusing.

We want a friendly based, family oriented community like feel. We are down to earth people that raise our children with respect and behavior. We try and take lots of outdoor adventures and enjoy spending time as a family.

Thank you so much
I was going to comment on the initial thread you posted. Are you only interested in Cummings, Suwanee, and Duluth now?

Based on you other post, I was going to recommend Peachtree Corners, East Roswell, South Johns Creek, Berkeley Lake/Duluth, and Dunwoody (with a lot of helpful information added in).

So, is it just Cummings, Suwanee, and Duluth now?

Also, take a look at this post:

Moving to atlanta soon? Read this first

Fill it out, and then repost it here.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:29 AM

Hi and Thank you !!
No, I'm interested in the best area for the children without going any further than Cummings. Cummings is just where the people in my husband's office live and enjoy the schools there. So, to add to my confusion and yours,lol, I'm open to ideas!

Old 04-28-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Hi and Thank you !!
No, I'm interested in the best area for the children without going any further than Cummings. Cummings is just where the people in my husband's office live and enjoy the schools there. So, to add to my confusion and yours,lol, I'm open to ideas!
And your husband's office is in Norcross, correct?

Oh, and what is your price point?

(see the link in my first post on this thread...fill it out...with more info, I/we can be more helpful).

Old 04-28-2010, 08:53 AM

Price range would be no more than $290,000. We would like to have 4 beds/2.5 bath. My husband needs a office if it's only a 3 bed. We will have family visiting so that 4th bedroom or bonus room would be great. We'd like to have a pool or have a community with a pool for the summer.
Thanks again!!!

Old 04-29-2010, 11:10 AM

23 posts, read 118,800 times
Hey, I used to live in the Cumming area. As far as schools, safety and such go, look in the area of Freehome. It is in Cherokee County but less than 12 minutes from Cumming and Suwannee. It is a small community and your adress would technically by Canton - 30115 zip code. Located on State 20 (also known as Cumming Hwy/Canton hwy) It is far enough out that you have that small town feel but located perfectly to get to downtown in less than 45 (that is saying something for the Atlanta Area)

The schools in the area are wonderful. My ex-mother in law used to teach at Freehome Elementary and my children all went there. 3 Generations of the family did in fact. It is a smaller Ele school but they are just wonderful and it is a very safe place to live. The cost of living is good as well. Fossett Farms subdivision is great. Heck, all the enighborhoods there are.

I lived there for 10 years and only moved due to a job offer elsewhere. Housing prices are right in your price range. And safety, lets just say it is the type of area where you still leave the doors unlocked.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:45 PM

1,499 posts, read 5,086,345 times
For information regarding schools, the website "Greatschools.org" is a good resource. Just remember that most school systems here are county-based rather than run by each individual city, with a few exceptions.

Old 04-29-2010, 01:25 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,427,717 times
Quote:
Price range would be no more than $290,000. We would like to have 4 beds/2.5 bath. My husband needs a office if it's only a 3 bed. We will have family visiting so that 4th bedroom or bonus room would be great. We'd like to have a pool or have a community with a pool for the summer.
Thanks again!!!
I have no suggestions. Sometimes I venture over that way and enjoy the Buford Dam recreation area and stop at a good BBQ restaurant--=the name of which escapes me at the moment. I think it is on the Canton Hwy or 41 or 'thst long and winding road'.

From Wikipedia:
'Ten new schools are projected to open by 2013, among them a sixth high school. There are currently five high schools in Forsyth County: Forsyth Central (which was the first high school and originally called Forsyth County High School), North Forsyth, South Forsyth, West Forsyth, and the newest, Lambert. There are 8 middle schools: Lakeside, Liberty, Little Mill, North Forysth, Otwell, Piney Grove, Riverwatch, South Forsyth, and Vickery Creek Middle Schools.'

Old 04-29-2010, 02:54 PM

Thank you everybody. I really enjoy hearing all the different opinions.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:56 AM

Considering all of your criteria/requirements (Norcross job, $290,000 or under, good schools, neighborhood pool/community, "South Charlotte-like," etc.), I recommend that you look in the following areas and go with the following strategy:

(+So that you know—each of the high schools and middle schools that correspond with the clusters I mention are good/great/excellent.)

(+It is important to look at each high school cluster as a “town.” )

(+Definitely study the corresponding links—they are mostly maps and information about schools clusters that will be very helpful.)

*1. You should first look into the following clusters/areas. Hopefully, you will find what you are looking for without having to go further out:

~a. Peachtree Corners
Norcross High Cluster—in the Simpson Elementary District.

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/GCPSNorcross?OpenView&2~QuickLinks

Gwinnett County Public Schools Cluster Boundaries

Easy-to-Read Gwinnett County Schools Cluster Map

~b. Eastern Roswell/Southern Johns Creek
Centennial High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.
Johns Creek High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.

https://portal.fultonschools.org/schools/Pages/SchoolsbyCluster.aspx (broken link)

FCBOE - Student Placement (http://www.fultonschools.org/dept/studentAssignment/maps/index.htm - broken link)

~c. Dunwoody
Dunwoody High Cluster—in the Kingsley Elementary or Chesnut Elementary Districts (Austin Elementary and Vanderlyn Elementary can also work, but the areas are probably out of your price range).

DCSS: Kingsley Elementary DeKalb County Schools

DCSS: Chesnut Elementary DeKalb County Schools

Dunwoody High School at DeKalb County Schools

DCSS: School Maps, Demographics and Statistics DeKalb County Schools

~d. Berkeley Lake/Duluth
Duluth High Cluster—in the Berkeley Lake Elementary, Harris Elementary, or Chattahoochee Elementary Districts.

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/GCPSDuluth?OpenView&2~QuickLinks

*2. If you don’t find anything in the areas listed in #1, you should then expand your search to the following areas:

~a. Northern Johns Creek
Chattahoochee High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.
Northview High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.

https://portal.fultonschools.org/schools/Pages/SchoolsbyCluster.aspx (broken link)

FCBOE - Student Placement (http://www.fultonschools.org/dept/studentAssignment/maps/index.htm - broken link)

~b. Eastern Duluth/Southern Suwanee
Peachtree Ridge High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/GCPSPeachtreeRidge?OpenView&2~QuickLinks

*3. If you still can’t find what you are looking for after searching through the areas listed in #2, you should then start looking in the following areas:

~a. South Forysth County (Cumming, Suwanee addresses)
Lambert High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.

Lambert High School

Map Viewer

South Forsyth High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for
you.

South Forsyth High School

Map Viewer

~b. Suwanee Proper/Northern Suwanee
North Gwinnett High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.

~c. Collins Hill Area
Collins Hill High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/GCPSCollins?OpenView&2~QuickLinks

~d. Southern Lilburn/Mountain Park/Parkview Area
Parkview High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/GCPSParkview?OpenView&2~QuickLinks

~e. Northern Snellville/Southern Lawrenceville/Brookwood Area
Brookwood High Cluster—all of the elementary schools would work for you.

http://www.gwinnett.k12.ga.us/gcps-mainweb01.nsf/GCPSBrookwood?OpenView&2~QuickLinks

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Last edited by aries4118; 04-30-2010 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta