U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 10:00 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,606,993 times

Advertisements

Atlanta top city for college grads *| ajc.com

Hey college graduates, if you're looking for a city that will provide you with jobs, affordable housing and a good social life you should move to Atlanta.
A new book ranked Atlanta as No. 10 on its list of the Top 10 cities for recent graduates.
Chicago received the top honor from the authors of "Gradspot.com's Guide to Life After College."
Why Atlanta? The authors described the city as a "sprawling metropolis with a southern swagger" with affordable rents, a strong music scene and a good supply of bars, clubs and lounges.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 11:43 AM

739 posts, read 1,811,485 times
Oh AJC, another misleading article, you would think from the headline we're number one, but we're 10th out of ten cities ranked....OK. Also, so if I don't like R&B this isn't the right city for me?? I don't feel like I'm inundated with country music at every turn in Nashville. How about just turning the radio station, or go to another club that doesn't play R&B...oh Gradspot SMH.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:53 AM

958 posts, read 3,491,166 times
Yep someone needs to hire a headline editor. There should be an "a" in betwween Atlanta and top.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:54 AM

739 posts, read 1,811,485 times
^ exactly.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:51 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,762,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Oh AJC, another misleading article, you would think from the headline we're number one, but we're 10th out of ten cities ranked....OK. Also, so if I don't like R&B this isn't the right city for me?? I don't feel like I'm inundated with country music at every turn in Nashville. How about just turning the radio station, or go to another club that doesn't play R&B...oh Gradspot SMH.
This article was like picking the least dumb in a field of dunces (since the economy sucks everywhere).

Besides the whole R+B thing, country music is pretty big here. If you listen to 94.9 or 101.5, there are references to small Georgia towns, peaches, etc.

Old 04-30-2010, 01:05 PM

719 posts, read 1,474,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Blue 99 View Post
Yep someone needs to hire a headline editor. There should be an "a" in betwween Atlanta and top.
It's an interesting observation. I think it's pretty standard practice in headline writing to drop articles because of space considerations, but you're right, in this case it results in an interesting ambiguity (arguably misleading).

Old 04-30-2010, 01:52 PM

513 posts, read 1,427,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post
Besides the whole R+B thing, country music is pretty big here.
And incredible easy to avoid. When I moved here 20 years ago part of the attraction was being able to go out to a music club any weekend and seeing worthy rock bands. It's still the same. I like to listen to some country and R&B at home/car, but have little interest in most current acts from those genres (well, the Star Bar is a big exception). You could go your whole Atlanta life just enjoying smaller clubs with good rock-based tunes and be perfectly happy.

Old 04-30-2010, 02:35 PM

719 posts, read 1,474,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
And incredible easy to avoid. When I moved here 20 years ago part of the attraction was being able to go out to a music club any weekend and seeing worthy rock bands. It's still the same. I like to listen to some country and R&B at home/car, but have little interest in most current acts from those genres (well, the Star Bar is a big exception). You could go your whole Atlanta life just enjoying smaller clubs with good rock-based tunes and be perfectly happy.
Absolutely. It's an odd kind of reasoning shown in the remark. Probably just an unguarded moment by the writer, one of those "well I knew what they meant" moments. I mean, just because you're not a rap or R&B fan has nothing to do with whether you LIKE the place or not. It's not as if it's booming out of every car window or something. Is it? You don't think that's what the writer ... meant to .. ? Oh well, I'm sure it wasn't anything like that.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 PM

5,207 posts, read 6,185,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I agree...this article is really suspect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or