U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-03-2010, 11:28 AM
 
2,531 posts, read 5,328,498 times
Reputation: 1263

Advertisements

Also, the typeface for the MARTA logo is very out-of-date to me. I work in communications, so I tend to notice these things. I notice how the Metro system in DC uses Helvetica on their signage and tends to be consistent about it. The older signage on the MARTA system seems to stand the test of time better than the newer signs that have serifs. The MARTA logo itself has that "70's futuristic" look to it. I know that sounds sort of silly, but that's just a personal quirk of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,957 posts, read 4,004,109 times
Reputation: 2766
Mat. MatRail, MatBus, MatTrain. I like.

Another thing the rail stations need to change is those silly "Northbound"/"Southbound" signs. We need to either sign them with the color of the line, or the lines termini (i.e., "Doraville"/"Airport"/etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 01:16 PM
 
Location: International Spacestation
5,207 posts, read 5,973,855 times
Reputation: 1415
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Either combine everyone into GRTA or leave it as is as MARTA, since people who are afraid or hate transit still will not ride it no matter what the name is.
I agree leave it as marta. put everything in Marta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,917 posts, read 9,609,624 times
Reputation: 5331
A vote here for Mat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 03:12 PM
 
12,940 posts, read 21,025,520 times
Reputation: 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindin View Post
Also, the typeface for the MARTA logo is very out-of-date to me. I work in communications, so I tend to notice these things. I notice how the Metro system in DC uses Helvetica on their signage and tends to be consistent about it. The older signage on the MARTA system seems to stand the test of time better than the newer signs that have serifs. The MARTA logo itself has that "70's futuristic" look to it. I know that sounds sort of silly, but that's just a personal quirk of mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Mat. MatRail, MatBus, MatTrain. I like.

Another thing the rail stations need to change is those silly "Northbound"/"Southbound" signs. We need to either sign them with the color of the line, or the lines termini (i.e., "Doraville"/"Airport"/etc.)

Speaking about logos, I think with mat, the system could have a great (yet simple+smooth) logo with mat in bold face and the corresponding transit in regular font. Something like

matrail or matRail

matbus or matBus

matX

mattram or matTram

matCRONG





mat
metro atlanta transit





And the mat logo (maybe with a circle around it) would be used to designate transit on all signs--whether for a bus stop, a station, directions, etc.






And...yes, I think really emphasizing the color of the rail lines is the best way to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 03:13 PM
 
12,940 posts, read 21,025,520 times
Reputation: 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I agree leave it as marta. put everything in Marta.

I do agree that everything should be under one entity.

However, the "rapid" in MARTA is not really appropriate since transit here covers more than just the rapid rail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 04:06 PM
 
Location: Searching n Atlanta
788 posts, read 1,687,265 times
Reputation: 340
I like ART the best.

Atlanta Regional Transit, with each county representing a different color

Express-Green/White
Gwinett-Dark Red
Cobb-that ugly seafoam color of the Busses
Clayton-Orange (Thats was the color of C-tran)
Maybe giving other Counties different colors
Each rail line having a distinctive color
Red-Airport-N. Springs
Gold-Airport to Doraville
Green-Bankhead to Candler Park
Blue- H.E. Holmes to Indian Creek
Black-For the Beltline
Brown-For Memorial BRT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Georgia
4,957 posts, read 4,004,109 times
Reputation: 2766
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Speaking about logos, I think with mat, the system could have a great (yet simple+smooth) logo with mat in bold face and the corresponding transit in regular font. Something like

matrail or matRail

matbus or matBus

matX

mattram or matTram

matCRONG





mat
metro atlanta transit





And the mat logo (maybe with a circle around it) would be used to designate transit on all signs--whether for a bus stop, a station, directions, etc.






And...yes, I think really emphasizing the color of the rail lines is the best way to go.
Ah yes, the urban style of first letter lower-case. I like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-03-2010, 06:11 PM
 
Location: Jonquil City (aka Smyrna) Georgia- by Atlanta
16,248 posts, read 20,624,430 times
Reputation: 3587
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
If people vote yes for the 1% sales tax for transportation, then it probably makes sense to combine all heavy rail into one authority (perhaps keeping bus per-county). MARTA should probably be renamed to something more flashy.

Does anyone have any ideas for a new flashy name for MARTA?
MARTA is fine. It supposed to mean Metropolitan Atlanta Regional Transit Authority anyway. I guess they could call it "The Hootch Express" too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-04-2010, 07:22 AM
 
12,940 posts, read 21,025,520 times
Reputation: 4091
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
Ah yes, the urban style of first letter lower-case. I like.
I like too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top