U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:09 PM

9 posts, read 4,525 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone:

I'm a little confused, we have a leasing from 2018 from Tennessee. We just moved to Atlanta, my husband went this morning to the DMV and the Rep told him that to transfer the registration to Atlanta will be around 1.100$ is that possible? We have to update the registration that was due last week which is when we moved in, so we waited to be settle.

Can someone give us a hand with this?

Thank you so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2019, 08:58 PM

1,821 posts, read 749,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyNY View Post
Hello Everyone:

I'm a little confused, we have a leasing from 2018 from Tennessee. We just moved to Atlanta, my husband went this morning to the DMV and the Rep told him that to transfer the registration to Atlanta will be around 1.100$ is that possible? We have to update the registration that was due last week which is when we moved in, so we waited to be settle.

Can someone give us a hand with this?

Thank you so much!
From my understanding it depends on your lease payments, length of the lease and payments remaining on the lease when you transfer to Georgia --- actually I could be wrong about the final one.

This may help you...
https://dor.georgia.gov/tavt-calcula...-hb-340-2017-0
https://www.philhugheshonda.com/leas...ar-in-georgia/

$1,100 may very well be possible given this criteria.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:10 AM

5,927 posts, read 3,334,046 times
if $1100 represents 7% of the value of the car that’s correct. Highway robbery but correct.

Georgia counts out of state leases like a sale so the entire car value is taxed.

In state leases get taxed on the lease amount (not the residual.)

I believe in a few months the out of state lease rate will drop to 3% so if you were able to wait it would save hundreds.

I was in the same situation and had to pay more than double what you paid. Welcome to Georgia.

Old 05-07-2019, 11:01 PM

6,547 posts, read 7,625,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
if $1100 represents 7% of the value of the car that’s correct. Highway robbery but correct.

Georgia counts out of state leases like a sale so the entire car value is taxed.

In state leases get taxed on the lease amount (not the residual.)

I believe in a few months the out of state lease rate will drop to 3% so if you were able to wait it would save hundreds.

I was in the same situation and had to pay more than double what you paid. Welcome to Georgia.
This is incorrect due to a change in law last year....

Georgia now allows for taxes to be made on the amount of lease payments being made, not the car's total value. Still a few details on this topic I'm fuzzy on too...

HollyNY, I would ignore the previous posts in this thread as they are very old and many changes have been made over time.

In short, we do not have an annual tax ad valorem tax on our cars in Georgia anymore at all. You will only pay a $20 tag fee on an annual basis. That is it.

But, we pay a larger tax as a one-time up-front registration fee. This often gets mistaken as a sales tax, since it works like on in practice for Georgian's buying a new car in Georgia, but it isn't quite the same. Most Georgian's buying a car have this amount rolled into the car loan.

Previously, you would have been paying a $350-$500 annual tax for most typical 1 year old cars, depending on the car's value and it would decrease each year as the car depreciates in value. Older cars near the end of their life would be taxes less than $100.

This is why you see the sticker shock you see now. Clearly there are some winner/losers to this type of taxing and it does produce some large, unexpected charges for people in your situation.

This type of tax generally benefits those who hold onto their cars longer and is more costly for those who wreck or change cars more often or those that only reside in Georgia for a very short period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or