U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,431,472 times

Advertisements

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
i DIDN'T LOOK FAR ENOUGH --GEORGIA IS #11---MEA CULPA--

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Most Corrupt States - The Daily Beast

http://www.comcast.net/slideshow/news-corruptstates/1/

The List>>>

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/1610/1/

Public corruption, 1998—2008: Convictions of elected and other public officials investigated by federal agents over an 11-year period, from the Department of Justice.

•Racketeering and Extortion, 1998—2008: Code for organized crime convictions, also investigated by federal agents over an 11-year period, from the Bureau of Justice Statistics.

•Forgery and Counterfeiting, 1999—2008: Arrest numbers for producing or distributing fake money and goods over a 10-year period, from the FBI.

•Fraud, 1999—2008: Arrests for false statements or documents produced for personal gain over a 10-year period, from the FBI.

•Embezzlement, 1999—2008: Arrests for surreptitious theft of money over a 10-year period, from the FBI.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-13-2010 at 07:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 07:47 AM

705 posts, read 919,280 times
Only number 11.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Only number 11.
This article is difficult to navigate. I finally went through the picture gallery--they could have just made a List at the start---method in their madness-wanted people to go here and there---must be a 'robot' collecting data on who visits the site?

och, aye--the internets ---too much technology makes me 'Wanky'---

http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/1610/1/

They don't say 'What' forms of corruption ---I can guess--all of them---Public Corruption--look no further than the Gold Dome--Fraud, Embezzlement, Forgery---not sure about Counterfeiting and Extortion. Certain we will get around to that.
~~~~~~~~~~~~
Not sure where this sort of thing might fit in, but this seems to be the sort of thing that goes on in GA-->
http://www.ajc.com/news/cobb/sheriff...re-526173.html

Cobb County authorities are looking to re-arrest Jessica Colotl, the Kennesaw State University senior and illegal immigrant at the center of a growing controversy.
Colotl -- who was caught driving without a license, sent to an immigration detention center and released last week -- was 10 years old when her parents brought her to the Unites States from Mexico, friends said.

Sheriff Neil Warren obtained a warrant Wednesday evening saying the 21-year-old Colotl committed a felony by giving authorities a false address while in custody, according to WSB-TV. Authorities have not found her yet.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-13-2010 at 08:43 AM..

Old 05-13-2010, 08:46 AM

Atlanta #2 on Forbes "Most Miserable Sports City">>>
Atlanta is No. 2 on Forbes' ‘miserable sports cities' list *| ajc.com

Yeah, well--whatever they say.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-br...ve-525859.html

'Braves Sweep Brewers'

Old 05-13-2010, 10:21 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,169,959 times
Seems they ordered all 50 states plus DC.

What surprised me was my home state of Virginia at #2...

Old 05-13-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Seems they ordered all 50 states plus DC.

What surprised me was my home state of Virginia at #2...
The Daily Beast--I really know nothing about them. I can imagine--though.

VA is close to DC.

I can account for a century of so of what has gone on in GA. Of course we were pretty busy redeeming ourselves from the Civil War era--that seemed to be all anyone knew about GA.

Talmadge--one name that comes to mind. Thousands of others I'm certain.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:39 AM

1,174 posts, read 1,169,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
VA is close to DC.
Not all of VA is close to DC. Keep in mind, DC and MD were much further down the list.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
Not all of VA is close to DC. Keep in mind, DC and MD were much further down the list.
It wasn't easy to review "The List"--I would suggest that the Daily Beast make it easier--certain that this organization isn't that receptive to suggestions.

If DC wasn't #1 I don't know why--MD--so small--their corruption might not be that exceptional.

Nevada, NJ,--lol--maybe TX---certainly LA--Michigan, Illinois---plenty has gone on in those areas.

odd that Tennessee was #1---hillbillies, moonshine--up in them thar hills they'd just as soon kill you as look at you--maybe that's why?

Tennessee --#1

Forgery & Counterfeiting: 5
Embezzlement: 9

Recent Scandal: Here's a foolproof recipe for corruption: a former policeman commingling with gang members. Milburn Williams, a retired police captain from Newport, ringleaders Raymond Hawk and Grant Williams, and 20 others were indicted on racketeering, drug trafficking and a slew of other charges last year in Greenville. The sting operation was headed by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and centered around a chop shop called "H-1 Auto", later renamed "A Automotive." For six years the chop shop was the command post for an operation that allegedly moved stolen property and goods across state lines and sold cocaine and marijuana. The most serious of the charges carry up to $2 million in fines and 40 years in prison.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:55 AM

Virginia

Public Corruption: 14
Racketeering & Extortion: 9
Fraud Rank: 9
Forgery & Counterfeiting: 18
Embezzlement: 5

Recent Scandal: Iris F. Allen, a former claims managers at the Virginia Birth Injury Fundócreated in 1987 to provide lifetime medical benefits to babies with born with severe neurological problemsóconcocted one of the oldest embezzlement schemes in the book. She created two phony companies and had the BIF solicit her companies for services without disclosing she was the owner. For five years Allen submitted fake or inflated invoices, netting $784,000. She pled guilty to the scheme in February and could get up to 10 years in jail when she is sentenced later in May.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:59 AM

#11, Georgia

Public Corruption: 38
Racketeering & Extortion: 16
Fraud Rank: 12
Forgery & Counterfeiting: 12
Embezzlement: 29

Recent Scandal: It's not often that a carpet maker gets charged with racketeering, but that's what happened to Mohawk Industries Inc., one of the biggest in the world. The company settled in April for $18 million to resolve allegations from employees they had hired undocumented immigrants to suppress wages. An appeals court decided the company could be charged under the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act because they had allegedly conspired with employment agencies to hire the undocumented workers. Mohawk did not admit any wrongdoing in the settlement.

I hadn't heard of this incident. More concerned about 'the other side'---GBI, FBI, DEA--lots of work in GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or