U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-14-2010, 04:12 AM

3,471 posts, read 7,034,092 times
What part of Houston do you live in now and do you like it?

Which school system are you in and are you happy with it?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 06:41 AM

2,205 posts, read 4,039,254 times
Default Modern office trends

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcast05 View Post
Hello, We will be moving to Georgia in July from Houston. ... Hubby will work from home, but will need to be at the airport maybe twice a week.
Quote:
DH is getting a promotion and GA is where the job will be.
This is slightly off topic, but I'm curious about modern office trends. mcast's thread is by no means the first I've seen with this kind of content, which basically goes:

- Moving to Atlanta area re job relocation.
- Can live anywhere in the metro area as the job holder will be working from a home office.
- Will need good airport access for fairly frequent job-related travel.

So the question that always pops into my mind is, if you won't be working at the local office of the company (assuming there even is one here), why relocate to Atlanta "for job reasons" at all? Are we in a weird transition phase where people who've taken to working from a home office get promoted and moved "to the Atlanta office", but just carry on working exclusively at home, only in a new city? If so, the logical outcome of this trend will surely be that we'll stop moving around so much for work, since the relocations are becoming meaningless to the job performance.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:18 AM

12 posts, read 14,890 times
Kaday, our children say the same thing! And actually just recently they asked if we would ever be moving out of Texas. We have yet to share the news with them, but of course we will eventually have to. We just want to have their little minds clear and focused at school. They only have a few weeks left of it.

Intownhomes274, yes we would like to have a 4/3 bath home. We are currently in a 3600 sq ft home with 4/3. We are willing to be in a home as small as (it's really not small, but for us it is) 2500 sq ft. I'm thinking that I want a pool, but not a major requirement. I just want to live in an area where it is convenient to anything and everything and great schools are a MUST!

Thank you Lilycharm, I will look into Peachtree City it sounds like the area where we are at now and we love it!

Thank you Capoeira, I will look into Lilburn, it sounds very nice. I was thinking of Alpharetta and other areas around there. It sounds nice as well, but I don't know about the traffic. Granted we are here in Houston, so it probably wouldn't really matter. Is the traffic bad all the time, like morning, afternoon and night? Are there times when it is okay? Or is it always busy?

Lastminutemom, we live in the southwest part of Houston, in Missouri City (Fort Bend county). We live in a subdivision named Sienna Plantation. Houston new homes | Sugar Land new homes | Missouri City new homes
We really love it here! It is very woodsy, lots of wildlife, a lot of things for the kids to do, very family oriented!! The only thing is that the retail shopping is none existent and we have to drive into Sugar Land, which is west of us and about 30 minutes away. Granted they did see the need to put grocery stores and eateries around here, so we actually are growing, but there are still no clothing stores, a mall, etc. out here.
The schools here are exceptional and we are very, very happy with them. FBISD Home

This is a little off topic, but I read somewhere that Peachtree City is nicknamed the bubble. That is the nickname for this place too! This area has a small town feel and could possibly be one. There were only 2 entrance/exits into this place, but they have recently increased it by 2, so a total of 4. The schools are located inside the subdivison. There are 3 elementary schools, one was just built at the beginning of the school year , a middle school and a new high school that was just built and will be ready in August.

You know the more I hear myself, I think this is what I am looking for. I want to be in an area like this. It would be nice to have the retail shops around, but we are used to driving if not.
Well thank you all for continuing to reply, it really is helpful to know what areas are great and which ones to avoid.

Oh and RainyRainy Day, DH's company does have a local office which is located in Alpharetta, but his job doesn't require for him to be at the office. He won't exclusively be working from home. He can work from home and if need be he can drive to the office or drive to visit clients if that needs to happen in Georgia and neighboring states. We don't need to be in Alpharetta, we are open to pretty much anywhere where the schools are great, because that is a MUST! We don't see the need to put our children in private school, if the public schools are just as great if not better. About your work from home trend, relocations and job performance I totally disagree. I would think if you are being promoted and being relocated to a new city that you must be doing a heck of a job, especially if the company is willing to offer a relocation package. I know that DH has been busting his hump, so he definitely has deserved this promotion and am very proud of him.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:36 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,120,389 times
Your in a catch 22. Peachtree City is south near the airport Great. Alpharetta is North Bad, How often will need to go to Alpharetta?

Most Sub/Div have pools, North Fulton (look over inthe Milton/Alpharetta area). Forsyth Cty, areas. for 350/400K you will have no problem finding a 4/3 House. Both Forsyth & North Fulton schools are some the best in the state. What age are your kids? Till the Slow down Forsyth has been building about 2 school a year. North Fulton has been opening alot also. Due to tax shortfalls all have slow'ed down/Stopped there building plans till the Real estate mkt get thru the invenorty of unsold homes. and start building

Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM

2,205 posts, read 4,039,254 times
Quote:
Oh and RainyRainy Day, DH's company does have a local office which is located in Alpharetta, but his job doesn't require for him to be at the office. He won't exclusively be working from home. He can work from home and if need be he can drive to the office or drive to visit clients if that needs to happen in Georgia and neighboring states. We don't need to be in Alpharetta, we are open to pretty much anywhere where the schools are great, because that is a MUST! We don't see the need to put our children in private school, if the public schools are just as great if not better. About your work from home trend, relocations and job performance I totally disagree. I would think if you are being promoted and being relocated to a new city that you must be doing a heck of a job, especially if the company is willing to offer a relocation package. I know that DH has been busting his hump, so he definitely has deserved this promotion and am very proud of him.
mcast, I'm sorry, my comment was not intended to disparage your husband's promotion in the slightest. I'm sorry you were offended.

If I can attempt to recover here - although I fear I may be about to make things worse - if your husband's company actually has an office here, to which he's nominally being relocated, then I respectfully suggest you give some consideration to the location of the office when considering places to live. Metro Atlanta has over 5 million people and it's very sprawling, so it's a pretty huge area. There are suburbs in all directions that would meet your criteria for a place to live. It's just not the case that there's one area that "everyone knows" is absolutely BEST. In fact, Alpharetta and environs is generally considered a top suburban area, with wonderful schools, etc. Although Peachtree City schools are great too, I think North Fulton schools probably outrank them. It's 60 miles from Peachtree City to Alpharetta, right across the City of Atlanta, which has the third worst traffic in the nation, supposedly. Just something to consider.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:01 AM

8,617 posts, read 11,318,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
... Although Peachtree City schools are great too, I think North Fulton schools probably outrank them...

I would rank the Fayette County/Peachtree City Schools right up there with the schools of North Fulton.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 AM

8,617 posts, read 11,318,355 times
Considering all of the OP's criteria and other commentary on this thread, I recommend that the OP look in the East Roswell Area...in the Centennial High School district.

The elementary schools to look into are River Eves, Northwood, Hillside, Esther Jackson, and the western one-third of Barnwell.

The middle schools are Haynes Bridge and Holcomb Bridge.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:22 PM

12 posts, read 14,890 times
Flyonpa, DH will need to be at the local office maybe once a month. We have 2 kids in elementary school and 1 entering middle school. The Fulton, East Cobb, Forsyth areas sound nice, but so does PTC. Well I guess DH and I will have to talk it over and hopefully go soon to visit and go from there.

RainyRainyDay, no apology needed and no offense taken. I was just talking about my DH, there may be companies like that, but not his. He definitely earned his spot! And Alpharetta and PTC sound nice minus the traffic for Alpharetta, but I think we can deal with traffic where ever, maybe?

Thank you Aries4118 for posting those schools and I will also look into E. Roswell, sounds nice.

Actually all the areas that everyone has listed sound really nice, so it will be a hard decision for us to make when the time comes.

I have another request if it is not too much to ask, but could you all list zip codes, schools, or subdivisions that you would recommend, so I can look them up.

Thanks again to everyone, I really do appreciate your help!

Oh yeah and Dh's coworker said to look into a specific area, but he can't recall the name, but did say it is where the majority of the airline (I'm assuming, pilots, attendants, etc..) personnel live. Where is that? If you have even heard of that?

Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM

1,512 posts, read 3,246,722 times
There are so many subdivisions in East Cobb I wouldn't know where to begin. We live in 30062 which is a nice area but most of East Cobb is. I think you said $400K which would buy you a nice home. If you were looking for specifically East Cobb I'd search by high school....Walton, Pope, Lassiter and Wheeler are generally considired to be the best...though there are other great ones I don't know enough about to mention. Feeder schools for these would all be very good. I used the harrynorman.com website because you can search by school when we moved here.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 PM

4,433 posts, read 5,120,389 times
Mcast: If he only going to be in Alpharetta 1x a month or so, and be at the airport 2x a week I would focus the search south of the airport. Ive heard that alot of the Delta pilots live inthe PTC, area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta