U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 12:42 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Mcast: If he only going to be in Alpharetta 1x a month or so, and be at the airport 2x a week I would focus the search south of the airport. Ive heard that alot of the Delta pilots live inthe PTC, area.
True and good advice.

If this is the case, mcast05, then I recommend looking in Fayette County (Peachtree City, Tyrone, or Fayetteville) or Coweta County (Newnan or Sharpsburg).

Otherwise, go with East Roswell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcast05 View Post
Flyonpa, DH will need to be at the local office maybe once a month. We have 2 kids in elementary school and 1 entering middle school. The Fulton, East Cobb, Forsyth areas sound nice, but so does PTC. Well I guess DH and I will have to talk it over and hopefully go soon to visit and go from there.

RainyRainyDay, no apology needed and no offense taken. I was just talking about my DH, there may be companies like that, but not his. He definitely earned his spot! And Alpharetta and PTC sound nice minus the traffic for Alpharetta, but I think we can deal with traffic where ever, maybe?

Thank you Aries4118 for posting those schools and I will also look into E. Roswell, sounds nice.

Actually all the areas that everyone has listed sound really nice, so it will be a hard decision for us to make when the time comes.

I have another request if it is not too much to ask, but could you all list zip codes, schools, or subdivisions that you would recommend, so I can look them up.

Thanks again to everyone, I really do appreciate your help!

Oh yeah and Dh's coworker said to look into a specific area, but he can't recall the name, but did say it is where the majority of the airline (I'm assuming, pilots, attendants, etc..) personnel live. Where is that? If you have even heard of that?

No problem. I recommend East Roswell for the following reasons:

1. Great schools.

2. Close to Alpharetta.

3. The "closest in" part of North Fulton--easier/easy access to the airport going down 400.

4. Close to the North Springs MARTA Station which can be a great way to get the the airport.

5. Beautiful area, with nice neighborhoods (and other conveniences).

Old 05-14-2010, 01:23 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,901,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
Your budget will allow you to look at a vast number of areas around the city. Without any more specific focus from you it will be hard for people to give any meaningful advice. So far, your main requirement seems to be a yard. Considering you have 3 kids, are you looking for a 4-5 bedroom home? Anything else that's a requirement? There are good schools in many Atlanta counties but Cobb county has a number of highly ranked ones. Cobb is north of the city so that would make the commute to the airport quite time-consuming. It's also a very conservative area (if that's a plus or minus for you).
Just a few mild corrections/observations:

Cobb extends down from the NW corner of the city to almost due west of the city, making the southern half (or the southeastern quarter, anyway, consisting of Smyrna/Vinings/Mableton/Austell) relatively close to the airport. Southern Cobb is certainly closer by most measures than places like Peachtree City which seem to use airport proximity as a drawing point while also being much closer to the resources found in the northern part of the metro as well as the City of Atlanta itself.

Also, while the "East Cobb" area in the northeast corner of Cobb county is the area with what are considered to be the best schools, and while that area is also seen by many as generally conservative, the same does not apply to much of the rest of the county, at least in my experience (I live in southern Cobb), and there are other Cobb County schools which are able to provide a good quality of education.

Third, Cobb directly borders the city of Atlanta, and some areas of Cobb (like Vinings) are actually ITP. It isn't too far from Cobb (which borders the Chattahoochie) to the other side of the river, and one can drive into Atlanta using back roads fairly easily.

This map currently found on Wikipedia does a good job of showing the relative positions of things.

File:Atlanta-suburbs.png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Areas which have access to MARTA are a good way to get to the airport, and MARTA does not currently service Cobb County, but we always hop in a car and use the Park-n-Fly facilities found on Camp Creek Parkway. It's roughly 16 miles from my doorstep to The Parking Spot 2.

Old 05-14-2010, 06:37 PM

14 posts, read 25,964 times
MCast05 -

I think you've got it narrowed down correctly. If your husband has to go to Alpharetta more than 1x per week, then you need to be up on the N side of Atlanta - Cumming / Dawsonville / East Cobb - just somewhere north. That also puts you closer to the mountains of N. Georgia...if you enjoy being in the mountains, it's tough to beat the extreme North suburbs.

Peachtree City IS a bubble. It's clean, it's well-kept up, it's safe, and VERY family-oriented. My wife / daughter and I live in Peachtree City - and we wouldn't live anywhere else. There are 90 miles of paved trails in the city - running through "green space", mostly wooded areas. You can get almost anywhere in the city via the trails and your golf cart. It is a one-of-a-kind place to live. You owe it to yourself to at least visit Peachtree City and drive through it.

I might suggest that you pick 2 or 3 areas, and spend a part of a day in each area with a local realtor, just to get a "feel" for the area. I'll be happy to answer any questions about Peachtree City - I'm NOT a realtor, just a very happy resident!

Old 05-14-2010, 07:03 PM

307 posts, read 537,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcast05 View Post

Oh yeah and Dh's coworker said to look into a specific area, but he can't recall the name, but did say it is where the majority of the airline (I'm assuming, pilots, attendants, etc..) personnel live. Where is that? If you have even heard of that?
The area your DH's coworker is speaking about is most likely Peachtree City and Fayetteville- both are in Fayette County which would be a decent commute to the airport but it would be a real long commute to Alpharetta/N Fulton when your DH has to go into the office.

However depending on where the office is located, your DH could park at the College Park Marta station and take the train into the office or just grin and bear it once a week and drive into the office.

In terms of schools and quality of living these PTC and Fayetteville are really great areas and definitely suburban...Good luck to you and your family

Old 05-14-2010, 09:57 PM

12 posts, read 27,923 times
Kayday, thank you for the website link. I will surely look into it.

Flyonpa, thanks for the confirmation about the PTC area and the airline employees. I can tell Dh now that this is the area that he was told about.

Aries4118, thanks for the reasoning behind the East Roswell area, all the information is great to know and keep in mind when looking.

Rcsteiner, thanks for the map information and we don't mind using back roads if it cuts down on time. It sounds like the MARTA system is very convenient and we will have to look into possibly using it, at least DH will.

608garamond, PTC sounds wonderful! We like the "bubble" atmosphere. Having everything or almost everything is really nice and a plus especially having children! We will most definitely visit this area when the time comes. Well I really don't have any specific questions, but if there is anything that you might think would be pertinent to know about the area, then please do share!

NYPeach, his office location is on windward plaza. I don't know how convenient that is or is not to the station or to the freeway. And he will only need to be at the office once a month not once a week....Thank you.

You all have been so helpful. Thank you all once again! DH and I have some homework to do!!

Old 05-15-2010, 05:10 AM

9,003 posts, read 16,139,085 times
For the once a month drive, to Alpharetta, I would drive. MARTA MARTA - Metropolitan Atlanta Rapid Transit Authority train stopped about 10 miles from alpharetta, then you would need to take the bus from the train station. to the park/ride - windward plaza (it only runs durring morning/night rush hours bus/143) there is a local bus takes forever to wind it way thru roswell/alpharetta that ends at the park/ride about 3/4 miles from windward plaza. That runs durring the midday time period. But im sure your DH would just drive for the few x a year he needs to go to alpharetta, Plus he then has the flexability to arrive when he wants, leave when we wants, and go out for lunch, take clients to lunch etc.

Windward Plaza is about 1 mile east of GA400 off Windward Pky.

Old 05-15-2010, 05:32 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,390,151 times
If the OP is accustomed to Sugar Land--
City of Sugar Land - One of America's Best - Offering recent news, streaming media, online tools and updates for Sugar Land residents and visitors.

then she would probably like Roswell--
http://www.roswellgov.com/

Many nice options in the ATL.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:39 PM

3 posts, read 4,081 times
I live in the downtown Alpharetta corridor and love it. We live very close to a large city park and the schools are great. Many restaurants and activities in the area. Lots of county-sponsored recreation activities. Husband could drive to North Springs Marta station and take train in to airport.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:53 AM

13,118 posts, read 15,922,889 times
Imagine choosing NOT to live someplace because it doesn't have good dim sum!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or