Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:07 PM

12 posts, read 30,572 times

Advertisements

Hello, We will be moving to Georgia in July from Houston. We are super excited, but clueless as to what area to live in! We have never visited the state of GA nor know anyone who lives here. Our budget will be about 400k and of course anything less would be fine. We are interested in a home with plenty of yard. We have 3 children all school aged and they will be in the public school system, so of course only the best! Hubby will work from home, but will need to be at the airport maybe twice a week. Oh and are there other airports other than the Atlanta International? I ask this question because I couldn't find any information about it or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough?? Here in Houston, we have Houston Hobby and Bush Intercontinental. Anyhow, as to lifestyle preferences we have none. We have lived in town and in the burbs. We have enjoyed both areas! We also would love to be close too shopping, restaurants, etc. Thank you in advance!

MCast
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 03:21 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,483,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcast05 View Post
Hello, We will be moving to Georgia in July from Houston. We are super excited, but clueless as to what area to live in! We have never visited the state of GA nor know anyone who lives here. Our budget will be about 400k and of course anything less would be fine. We are interested in a home with plenty of yard. We have 3 children all school aged and they will be in the public school system, so of course only the best! Hubby will work from home, but will need to be at the airport maybe twice a week. Oh and are there other airports other than the Atlanta International? I ask this question because I couldn't find any information about it or maybe I wasn't looking hard enough?? Here in Houston, we have Houston Hobby and Bush Intercontinental. Anyhow, as to lifestyle preferences we have none. We have lived in town and in the burbs. We have enjoyed both areas! We also would love to be close too shopping, restaurants, etc. Thank you in advance!

MCast
Moving to atlanta soon? Read this first

If you could answer some of the questions in this thread you will receive more specific feedback.

It sounds like you might do well in/around Alpharetta/John's Creek. Many transplants there--progressive.

This sort of event gives you some idea of the community's style>>>

Taste of Alpharetta closes Old Milton Parkway *| ajc.com

Taste of Alpharetta
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/omn...of-alpharetta/

The event, featuring more than 50 restaurants, culinary competitions and live music, runs from 5 to 10 p.m. at Wills Park off Old Milton Parkway.
~~~~~~~~~~~

Working from home, best place to live in Alpharetta?

~~~~~~~~~
Hartsfield-Jackson is the main airport. Peachtree DeKalb Airport is used by those with private planes. MARTA is the best way to go to and from the airport. Your DH can get on a train in/around Alpharetta and go all the way to the airport.

Old 05-13-2010, 04:56 PM

Thank you for your response! I will definitely look into these areas.

1. Budget: 400k
2. House/Condo/Townhome? House
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Work from home, but twice a week will need to fly
4. Children(public school vs. private) Public
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two No preference, have lived in-town and the suburbs and were happy at both
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? DH to take MARTA to the airport twice a week, if even that.
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Married, Children, Middle Class, Race isn't a factor, Recreation/Parks, Trails, Anything family oriented

Old 05-13-2010, 05:33 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,027 times
Hi. Just curious about the impetus for your move to Georgia if you've never been here nor no anyone here.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:45 PM

DH is getting a promotion and GA is where the job will be. Plus we are not attached to anyone place as long as we have each other.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:52 PM

1,748 posts, read 5,525,037 times
Quote:
DH is getting a promotion and GA is where the job will be. Plus we are not attached to anyone place as long as we have each other.
That is how we live with spouses job! My kids always ask where are we moving next Mom? Home is where we are all together.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:35 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,394 times
Your budget will allow you to look at a vast number of areas around the city. Without any more specific focus from you it will be hard for people to give any meaningful advice. So far, your main requirement seems to be a yard. Considering you have 3 kids, are you looking for a 4-5 bedroom home? Anything else that's a requirement? There are good schools in many Atlanta counties but Cobb county has a number of highly ranked ones. Cobb is north of the city so that would make the commute to the airport quite time-consuming. It's also a very conservative area (if that's a plus or minus for you).

Dunwoody and Sandy Springs are a bit closer in than Cobb (Dunwoody is in DeKalb county and Sandy Springs is in Fulton county) and both have some excellent public schools as well.

You might look at Peachtree City too. It's south of the city and a lot of people who commute to the airport live down there.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM

642 posts, read 2,219,027 times
Quote:
Okay thanks.

Old 05-13-2010, 08:51 PM

205 posts, read 692,870 times
I was going to suggest Peachtree City also. A friend of mine moved from Dunwoody to Peachtree City to be a minister at a church there. She is getting a lot more house for the money and the schools rank highly. Sounds like it would be a good place for you to check out... especially with your needing to be close to the airport.

Good luck.

Old 05-14-2010, 12:31 AM

3,244 posts, read 6,298,765 times
I would look at Suwanee or Duluth(30097) in the Peachtree Ridge High School cluster. This is in Gwinnett county. This area is close to shopping like Discover Mills Mall and the Mall of Georgia. It is close to the 85 freeway for trips into Atlanta and to the airport. You can access Marta from here by driving to either Doraville or Brookhaven stations,park your car overnight and take Marta to the airport. This has also become a very international area with lots of different stores,especially Korean, and many different ethnic restaurants. This is my first choice if considering a suburban location.

Example house in this area:1731 Berkshire Eve, Duluth, GA 30097

Another possible option to maximize your yard size and be in a good school district is the Parkview High/Camp Creek elementary area in Lilburn. The advantage to this area is that it is relatively quiet,a slightly shorter drive to the the airport and a relatively easy drive to the cool intown areas of Atlanta near Emory etc. The disadvantage to this area is that it is not really close to any major shopping.

Example house: 5065 HARALSON Way, LILBURN, GA 30047

East Cobb is also a great area,you can't go wrong with East Cobb except for maybe the airport commute. I don't like the North Fulton area(Roswell,Alpharetta,Johns Creek) because of the traffic. There are only 3 ways to get there over the Chattahoochee River. Bad traffic. This area was profiled extensively in the book Reloville.

I have heard only good things about Peachtree City however I would not want to live there since it is much too far from any decent shopping malls and many other things. No chance of finding something like Whole Foods or good dim sum in Peachtree City.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta