Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 03:34 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I can't tell if you have children, but if you do, I would stay out of DeKalb. Things just seem to get worse and even the good schools are starting to really feel it. The optimist in me wants to believe that we have hit bottom.... but instead it seems like quick sand.

The Grady High School cluster is awesome.
Who knows 'When' this will happen--but a ray of hope for DeKalb...
The former Briarcliff High School/School of the Fine/Performing Arts/Alternative School property is slated to become a middle school and high school. N. Druid Hills Rd area. sigh of relief

Not 'too far' from Morningside, Va Hi.

Adams Stadium --used by several local high schools and there wasn't another bit of space to place another stadium.

Otherwise it makes me queasy to think of the state of affairs in education in DeKalb. I heard they will/have moved the system offices from N. Decatur Rd to Stone Mt Industrial.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 07:04 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Who knows 'When' this will happen--but a ray of hope for DeKalb...
The former Briarcliff High School/School of the Fine/Performing Arts/Alternative School property is slated to become a middle school and high school. N. Druid Hills Rd area. sigh of relief

Not 'too far' from Morningside, Va Hi.

Adams Stadium --used by several local high schools and there wasn't another bit of space to place another stadium.

Otherwise it makes me queasy to think of the state of affairs in education in DeKalb. I heard they will/have moved the system offices from N. Decatur Rd to Stone Mt Industrial.
That is one board member's idea and is a pipe dream at best and false hope at worst. There are at least two existing high schools that need to be torn down and rebuilt in DeKalb as well as numerous middle and elementary schools that need the same treatment.

I think the best solution is to level those buildings and turn them over to DeKalb County to use as green space until a school is needed and funding is available.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:32 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
That is one board member's idea and is a pipe dream at best and false hope at worst. There are at least two existing high schools that need to be torn down and rebuilt in DeKalb as well as numerous middle and elementary schools that need the same treatment.

I think the best solution is to level those buildings and turn them over to DeKalb County to use as green space until a school is needed and funding is available.
sigh--Greenspace would be nice. We'll be cleaning up Kittredge Park on May 23--keep on cleaning the area up until the cows come home.

I'm not so certain this is entirely a 'pipe dream'--the meetings on the redevelopment of the area continue. I should go but don't--thankfully the more articulate do and during clean ups the updates are exchanged. As for 'funding being available'--perhaps not in my lifetime?

It will be interesting to see what they do with 3770 N. Decatur Rd.--must be worth a few bucks? Clarkston could use some redevelopment.

Last edited by TakeAhike; 05-15-2010 at 04:47 AM..

Old 05-15-2010, 05:38 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,661,614 times
I will PM you.. need to stop hijacking the tread.

As to the original post, yes the premium for city of Atlanta, no to DeKalb, in my opinion.

Old 05-15-2010, 06:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,550 times
Yes Druid Hills, Morningside, Virginia Highlands are all wonderful places to live and close to the city of Atlanta. I prefer Druid Hills(DeKalb) side as the taxes are lower and the elementary school-Fernbank is amazingly diverse. Most of the neighborhood is within walking distance of the Emory campus which offers many opportunities for the community. City of Decatur is also nice but HIGH taxes and yes the commute can be long especially with the stand still traffic through Decatur and then on Ponce de Leon in the mornings and afternoons. All these neighborhoods have a great sense of community and you will always see groups out walking, running, hanging out at parks,etc. Dupont Commons and Adams Crossing are in an area called the "Westside" which is near downtown Atlanta but in a more industrial, commercial part of the city.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:30 PM

418 posts, read 906,639 times
Thanks to all that have responded. We do have kids, with one about to enter elementary school in a year so schools are important. However, we are willing to send them to private school but I like having a public option. I recently started looking at Candler Park, Inman Park, Grant Park and Lake Claire. Generally speaking should I "avoid" any of these areas?

Old 05-15-2010, 02:59 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,087,284 times
IMO, Inman Park, Candler Park and Lake Claire have better schools than Grant Park. Although, I have heard lots of good news on the Charter School (Elementary) in Grant Park.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 AM

72 posts, read 174,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
Thank you kaabye. I have heard great things about Morningside Elementary. Drove by it and saw the "We Love Our Teachers" banner across the front. Met a nice couple who also moved into the area not too long ago and they really like it as well. In your opinion, are there any particular streets/areas within Morningside to avoid?

I would say you don't really have "bad"streets in morningside just levels of good

We have two young kids so we selected a street that is a dead end. Some streets in Morningside are "pass through" connecting various streets of differing traffic levels. We wanted to avoid pass through streets to have less worry about kids getting hit by a car.

We also enjoy walking to restaurants and yogurt on occasion as well.

On our street people come out in the evenings with kids and hang out and socialize. We do pot lucks and such which really makes the area that much nicer for us. Halloween is another great time we have a parade each year and a zillion kids come to your home.

I think where you end up depends allot on whats available at the time and what your priorities and budget are.

good luck....

Old 05-17-2010, 12:09 PM

418 posts, read 906,639 times
My apologies for resurrecting this thread, but still have a few questions. Have expanded my search beyond Virginia Highland, Morningside, Druid Hills and Decatur but I keep coming back to these areas, including Candler and Inman Park for a number of reasons. My challenge continues to be finding a home that has 3 bedroom on one level in our price range (up to 600k). Most of the bungalows, tudors, craftman have 3 bedrooms but these are split between the main level and upstair. I am not looking specifically for a ranch as a traditional two story with 3br up top would have the same layout that we need.

I was gravitating toward Kirkwood, Ormewood Park and Grant Park as the newer built homes there have the layout we want but schools and sketchiness of the neigborhoods caused me to rethink location. I did notice a small pocket in Druid Hill on Edmund Park adjacent to Morningside that seems have traditional two story layout. Are folks familiar with this location and can help with some comments? Any other locations like this that I should be scouting for 2-story layouts with bedrooms upstairs? Thanks a zillion.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
I was gravitating toward Kirkwood, Ormewood Park and Grant Park as the newer built homes there have the layout we want but schools and sketchiness of the neigborhoods caused me to rethink location. I did notice a small pocket in Druid Hill on Edmund Park adjacent to Morningside that seems have traditional two story layout. Are folks familiar with this location and can help with some comments? Any other locations like this that I should be scouting for 2-story layouts with bedrooms upstairs? Thanks a zillion.
The biggest problems with Edmund Park (IMHO) are:

1. The ones that front on E Rock Springs obviously have the disadvantage of being on a busy street;

2. There is virtually no guest parking available in the entire subdivision, so if you entertain at all, your guests will always have a horrible time finding a place to park;

3. There is a significant quality difference in the early builds and the later builds (the original builder recognized the coming downturn in the market and got out after a year and later builders weren't concerned with providing the same quality).

There are 2-stories with 3 bedrooms upstairs throughout the neighborhoods you're looking for -- you just have to search for them. There aren't lots of them, and I know it's hard, but it's not impossible. Are you working with an agent? She should be able to help you narrow down possibilities since the FMLS reports show the number of bedrooms on each level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: