Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:47 PM

23,390 posts, read 43,932,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntownHomes247 View Post
The biggest problems with Edmund Park (IMHO) are:

1. The ones that front on E Rock Springs obviously have the disadvantage of being on a busy street;

2. There is virtually no guest parking available in the entire subdivision, so if you entertain at all, your guests will always have a horrible time finding a place to park;

3. There is a significant quality difference in the early builds and the later builds (the original builder recognized the coming downturn in the market and got out after a year and later builders weren't concerned with providing the same quality).

There are 2-stories with 3 bedrooms upstairs throughout the neighborhoods you're looking for -- you just have to search for them. There aren't lots of them, and I know it's hard, but it's not impossible. Are you working with an agent? She should be able to help you narrow down possibilities since the FMLS reports show the number of bedrooms on each level.
Intown, given what the OP is looking for (especially the floorplan requirement and the price), I thought your suggestion of Victoria Estates was a very good one. It's a unique intown neighborhood in that there are no thoroughfares (great for kids),it's surrounded by a greenbelt on three sides (thanks to Emory and Peachtree Creek) and a riding academy on the fourth (Vogt Riding Academy). I also thought that LaVista Park would be a good candidate. The only problem might be BriarVista Elementary, which seems get mixed reviews on here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,267,524 times
Yep. There are always going to be trade-offs. Personally, I think the best approach would be for the OP to narrow down her search to no more than 2 or 3 schools first (1st choice, 2nd choice, and possibly 3rd choice), then search intensively in those school attendance zones for a house that will work in her price range. Not having a clear idea of neighborhood or school district leads to way too much of a shotgun approach considering the number of homes on the market throughout the intown neighborhoods. I think it makes the most sense to find the area where you most want to live and then find the house that best fits you in that location in your price range. If you can't find a house that will work in your preferred location, move to your 2nd choice. And none of this is something that can really be done from a distance. You have to experience the neighborhoods, visit the schools, talk to the principal/teachers, hopefully meet a few residents, hang out at some of the local cafes, etc. It's the only way to know for sure if you've fond the location where your family will be happiest.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:23 PM

418 posts, read 904,737 times
Intown and LD, thanks for your great advice. Am glad you two responded as I recognize your expertise in these areas. We are not working with a realtor yet as I have to get the details from my relo consultants to the appropriate steps to take to engage someone. Not in any order but from what I have researched on this board, Morningside, Fernbank, Lin would work great for us. Seems like any cluster in Decatur is highly regarded also.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:50 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,267,524 times
Morningside and Mary Lin are City of Atlanta schools and Fernbank is DeKalb county. City of Decatur is an independent charter school district. Once you have the opportunity to come and visit and see the different areas and hopefully tour the schools, you should be able to further narrow down your choice. Honestly, you can't go too far wrong in most any of those areas. I still think Victoria Estates and Oak Grove are worth a look, because you'll probably find a larger number of homes with floorplans that suit you. They're not as hip as Virginia-Highland, Candler Park, etc. but they're lovely residential neighborhoods with big yards, mature trees, and beautiful homes.

Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 PM

23,390 posts, read 43,932,484 times
Actually, it occurred to me that the Lamont-Vidal area of the city of Decatur might be a good place for the OP to look. It's one of the newer residential areas of the city (40's-50's era traditional homes), served by the city of Decatur school system, and...is lovely! The houses tend to be larger in that neighborhood than in the older neighborhoods of Decatur.
The Glennwood neighborhood of Decatur is another one where the houses tend to be larger than the average Decatur bungalow.
Here are some listings from both neighborhoods:

http://www.decaturgahomesforsale.com/decatur-homes.htm

http://www.mlsfinder.com/kwls/kw/index.cfm?action=listing_detail&kw_id=4801718&doma in=douggraves.yourkwagent.com (broken link)

Last edited by Iconographer; 05-17-2010 at 10:22 PM..

Old 02-22-2011, 02:47 PM

1,517 posts, read 6,728,937 times
WannaBeinBoston...
just curious...did you move? Where did you choose? Feedback would be great as your questions apply to us as well! thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: