Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 09:40 AM

418 posts, read 906,310 times

Advertisements

I was there this past week and got a great sense of the neighborhoods. As a matter of fact, loved it. Seriously, who wouldn't. Should I be searching other areas too, like Adams Crossing, Dupont Commons, Decatur/North Decatur? I know that schools are good in the Highlands, Druid Hills, Decatur area

Budget up to $600k to purchase a home but would rather not push it. Would like to get at least a 3-br on the same level. This appears challenging given that alot of the bungalows/craftmans in my price range in these neighborhoods are split with 1/2 bedrooms up or down. It appears that I can get a bit more for the $ in Decatur but my concern is the lack of east/west connector and ultimately traffic from Decatur to the Atlanta Station area.

Would love to get opinions of people who are familiar with the commute from Decatur west in the am and east in the pm. Would also like opinions from those who live intown and had considered other areas outside of the VA-Highland, Morningside, Druid Hills neighborhoods. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 AM

72 posts, read 174,748 times
I live in morningside and have for the last four years. I think it is a great area even though it is a bit expensive. It also depends what you are looking for. Morningside is expensive but also diverse. You have a mixture of liberal and conservative young and old. The school (morningside elementry) is a great school with many families walking kids to school on nice days.

You can get more house for your money in other areas but in my opinion not the charm.

If you have any specific questions I would be happy to help.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:03 AM

72 posts, read 174,748 times
Also, many people still lump VA Highlands and Morningside together but as of last year they split the two for schools VA goes to SPARK Morningside to MES....if you want MES make sure you are in MES district.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 AM

418 posts, read 906,310 times
Thank you kaabye. I have heard great things about Morningside Elementary. Drove by it and saw the "We Love Our Teachers" banner across the front. Met a nice couple who also moved into the area not too long ago and they really like it as well. In your opinion, are there any particular streets/areas within Morningside to avoid?

Old 05-14-2010, 11:39 AM

16,686 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaabye View Post
Also, many people still lump VA Highlands and Morningside together but as of last year they split the two for schools VA goes to SPARK Morningside to MES....if you want MES make sure you are in MES district.

But keep in mind, Springdale Park Elementary (SPARK) is also a great school.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaabye View Post
Virginia-Highland.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:50 PM

1,320 posts, read 4,273,613 times
If you're looking for homes with bedrooms on the main level, you might want to consider Oak Grove or the Victoria Estates neighborhood adjacent to Emory. Personally, Druid Hills is my favorite neighborhood in the city, and there are some ranches, etc. in the Fernbank part of Druid Hills that might work. But you'll find bungalows overwhelmingly in Va-Hi and most of Morningside (although Lenox Park has some ranches).

Adams Crossing and Dupont Commons have NOTHING like the vibe of Virginia-Highland, Morningside or Druid Hills -- very industrial, much newer residential development. Decatur is wonderful but you'll mostly have the same problem with the houses being the wrong layout, although it's certainly worth looking.

Old 05-14-2010, 02:55 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
I can't tell if you have children, but if you do, I would stay out of DeKalb. Things just seem to get worse and even the good schools are starting to really feel it. The optimist in me wants to believe that we have hit bottom.... but instead it seems like quick sand.

The Grady High School cluster is awesome.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:06 PM

75 posts, read 204,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeinBoston View Post
Thank you kaabye. I have heard great things about Morningside Elementary. Drove by it and saw the "We Love Our Teachers" banner across the front. Met a nice couple who also moved into the area not too long ago and they really like it as well. In your opinion, are there any particular streets/areas within Morningside to avoid?
There are no streets or areas in Morningside to avoid. Great neighborhood, particularly if you don't measure your self-worth by the square footage of your home.

Old 05-14-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msh0146 View Post
There are no streets or areas in Morningside to avoid. Great neighborhood, particularly if you don't measure your self-worth by the square footage of your home.

What's wrong with that???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: