U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-27-2010, 02:39 PM

222 posts, read 368,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I don't even think I would take my young children up there until they are well into elementary school. That story awhile ago about the girl falling into the grand canyon just freaked me out. You never know what kids are going to do, so why risk it?

There have also been a few accidents at the north GA waterfalls where people went out there and tried to walk on the rocks. Of course, they slipped and fell down the falls. I remember seeing idiots out there on the rocks with their very small children. One slip and they would have been washed over the rocks.

Then there was the very tragic story of the man and his son who were sliding down an area in a river where there was some current and people used it like a slide. The father landed wrong and his leg became stuck in the rocks. The strong, cold water was too much for him and rescuers could not free him in time. You might not see that area as dangerous, but anything can happen. Steep rocks and fast flowing water are nothing to be taken lightly in these parts.
All very true!

I'm a product of the north Georgia mountains. The waterfalls are beautiful, but can ruin your day real fast, if you are stoooopid

A few years back, I noticed some tourist types (aka "Yankees" ), putting a canoe in the Cullasaja river near Highlands. They were going to "paddle south." That river goes from "0-to-60" in a blink of an eye. What idiots!

Where they wanted to put in, is a sweet trickle. However, if I had not convinced them, that they would be in for a horrible surprise, this is what they would have paddled themselves into.

YouTube - Dry Falls, Highlands, North Carolina
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 02:51 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,234,183 times
How ironic his last name was Edge.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:28 PM

16,249 posts, read 11,291,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulver View Post
Just thought this was so needless. They have that fence and those signs for a reason! Taking a risk without a payoff is foolish. The Space Shuttle has risk (as we well know), but exploration always has that. But it has payoff for mankind, too.

Banker Falls To His Death At Stone Mountain - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Here's the length of fence he climbed over:

YouTube - On Top of Stone Mountain
Yep. They have the fence there for a reason.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovedfromFL View Post
I don't even think I would take my young children up there until they are well into elementary school. That story awhile ago about the girl falling into the grand canyon just freaked me out. You never know what kids are going to do, so why risk it?

There have also been a few accidents at the north GA waterfalls where people went out there and tried to walk on the rocks. Of course, they slipped and fell down the falls. I remember seeing idiots out there on the rocks with their very small children. One slip and they would have been washed over the rocks.

Then there was the very tragic story of the man and his son who were sliding down an area in a river where there was some current and people used it like a slide. The father landed wrong and his leg became stuck in the rocks. The strong, cold water was too much for him and rescuers could not free him in time. You might not see that area as dangerous, but anything can happen. Steep rocks and fast flowing water are nothing to be taken lightly in these parts.
The lookouts on Grand Canyon are well marked with signs and barriers. You can plainly see that it is THOUSANDS of feet to the bottom. If you jump the barrier, not much can save you. But the animals will enjoy the tasty meal of your body!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:35 PM

3,400 posts, read 4,815,654 times
Quote:
All very true!

I'm a product of the north Georgia mountains. The waterfalls are beautiful, but can ruin your day real fast, if you are stoooopid

A few years back, I noticed some tourist types (aka "Yankees" ), putting a canoe in the Cullasaja river near Highlands. They were going to "paddle south." That river goes from "0-to-60" in a blink of an eye. What idiots!

Where they wanted to put in, is a sweet trickle. However, if I had not convinced them, that they would be in for a horrible surprise, this is what they would have paddled themselves into.

So they actually listened to you? You may very well have saved their lives.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
All very true!

As "Dueling Banjos" played in the background, the Yankees were warned not to go there!

Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 PM

128 posts, read 212,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Yep. They have the fence there for a reason.
You could not pay me to go over that fence. Every time I've been up there I have these terrible visuals of tripping and going through that chain link. I know I'm chicken when it comes to heights .

Old 05-27-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
As "Dueling Banjos" played in the background, the Yankees were warned not to go there!
Funny you should mention that!

Billy Redden was the "banjo boy." He still lives in Rabun Co., where the movie was filmed. Today, he runs a little sandwich cafe, among other things. Makes a nice turkey & swiss on rye. Good guy!

Old 05-27-2010, 10:14 PM

8,844 posts, read 12,997,504 times
Time to give out another Darwin award.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
You could not pay me to go over that fence. Every time I've been up there I have these terrible visuals of tripping and going through that chain link. I know I'm chicken when it comes to heights .
You might enjoy, the Grand Canyon Skywalk!

YouTube - The Grand Canyon Skywalk

Or maybe the new Hoover Dam By-pass bridge!

YouTube - Hoover Dam Bypass Bridge

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta