U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 02:13 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,547,959 times

Advertisements

I was just reading this article in the current issue of Atlanta Magazine,

Atlanta magazine A Separate Peace: Collier Heights

And I was just wondering since styles and trends go in cycles, will there ever be a resurgence in the popularity of ranch and split-level archeture... similar to how craftsman bungalows are very popular now in many areas, but were not neceassry "in Demand" around 10 to 20 years ago. However, in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's many would dream of owning a ranch-style home.

Like any other style or trend, do you think 60's to 80's (30 to 50-year-old) residential architecture will make a comeback in metro Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 02:45 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,155,216 times
Doubtful. Two story homes are more prevalent because they allow builders to build a bigger house on a smaller lot. Other than smaller homes in age-restricted communities where stairs are a problem, you won't see a resurgence in ranches.

Old 05-15-2010, 02:46 PM

12,939 posts, read 19,867,704 times
They are building some ranches in the Crabapple area of Alpharetta right now. We had a one level house in FL, and I loved it. We tried to find one when we were transferred up here, without success.

I think when you have young kids the two level house works best, because the upstairs is quieter, and then you have the issue of kids sneaking out their bedroom windows with a ranch, LOL

Split levels were everywhere in NJ. I hated them. Nothing but little staircases everywhere.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:20 PM

12,947 posts, read 21,044,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I was just reading this article in the current issue of Atlanta Magazine,

Atlanta magazine A Separate Peace: Collier Heights

And I was just wondering since styles and trends go in cycles, will there ever be a resurgence in the popularity of ranch and split-level archeture... similar to how craftsman bungalows are very popular now in many areas, but were not neceassry "in Demand" around 10 to 20 years ago. However, in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's many would dream of owning a ranch-style home.

Like any other style or trend, do you think 60's to 80's (30 to 50-year-old) residential architecture will make a comeback in metro Atlanta?
Great article. Thanks.

I hope everyone on here reads it.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:30 PM

8,862 posts, read 14,416,825 times
I always thought ranches were symbolic with the 60's/70's --sort of clueless about housing of the 80's---plenty of ranches all over the Executive Park area--all the way to Tucker and beyond.

I like the Bungalows of the 21C or whatever they are called. Not fond of the tiny rooms and closets and lack of open design in the original bungalows. Love the built-ins and more polished touches.

As we age --we are going to need to think about hobbling around. The steeply inclined steps of some newer hope puzzles me--not good for small children or really anyone. LOL--must have been a man's idea and of course he never tried to drag a vacuum cleaner up and down those steps.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:34 PM

472 posts, read 724,708 times
I ♥ my ranch. It was built in 97. There are plenty of ranches still being built in our area, but the two stories are more prevalent. I used to own a two story (with the master down). I hope to never own one again...

Old 05-15-2010, 04:51 PM

2,047 posts, read 3,880,847 times
I don't know about the housing styles, but certainly mid-century modern furniture is incredibly hot these days. I assume it's the popularity of Mad Men. For a while there everyone wanted Craftsman, but now mid-century is on everyone's radar. Things I could get for just a few hundred a couple years ago are now going for thousands.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Doubtful. Two story homes are more prevalent because they allow builders to build a bigger house on a smaller lot. Other than smaller homes in age-restricted communities where stairs are a problem, you won't see a resurgence in ranches.
But aren't most bungalows single story too (unless it has a basement or converted attic)? And they are very popular. Especially in many intown areas.

Bungalow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-15-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Great article. Thanks.

I hope everyone on here reads it.
Yeah, I also noticed the writer borrowed heavily from the Kevin Kruse book that you suggested months ago...

Old 05-15-2010, 10:22 PM

1,320 posts, read 3,747,615 times
Ranches have a lot of popularity among some people and will continue to have more as our population ages. Mid-century modern enthusiasts are particularly rabid, but there are plenty of people who like the good old standard brick ranch. Split levels continue to be very much a love it or hate it proposition.

Many ranch neighborhoods are popular although don't expect to see new ranch subdivisions intown. Land is too expensive close in to make that feasible. However, there are tons of existing ranches and lots of them are renovated every year. One of the best things about ranch neighborhoods in Atlanta is that they were generally built on larger lots and have nice sized yard (whereas the "charming bungalows" in the older intown neighborhoods are frequently on postage-stamp lots).

Yes, historically a bungalow was meant to be a 1 story building, but "bungalow" is now generally used to describe an exterior aesthetic regardless of height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or