U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 10:19 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by a|ex View Post
don't be a sheep...

-a|ex
I've never been in a situation where I needed a gun. I don't expect to ever be, although it is a possibility.

I don't feel it's worth the trouble to purchase, license, train and carry a gun and ammo with me everywhere I go.

Just as I don't feel it's worth the trouble to wear a helmet everywhere I go just because I might trip and hit my head someday.

So, how does this make me a sheep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 11:31 AM

705 posts, read 916,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Actually, you've said a lot about yourself on this thread, so assuming you're telling the truth I feel I know quite a bit.

You love to carry guns, and you're ready and willing to use it anytime, anyplace.

Hopefully if I ever find myself gunless in a gunfight you or someone like you will swoop in like a superhero and save the day.
It wouldnt be the first time that I, or someone like me, had to do so. I take my Oath of Office seriously. Regardless of the flippant attitudes that some people exude.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:45 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
It wouldnt be the first time that I, or someone like me, had to do so. I take my Oath of Office seriously. Regardless of the flippant attitudes that some people exude.
Yeah, well, I say that to you as a person and as a gun rights crusader, and not as a police officer.

I assume you'd still feel the same way about guns if you were in some other line of work.

No disrespect intended towards your profession.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah, well, I say that to you as a person and as a gun rights crusader, and not as a police officer.

I assume you'd still feel the same way about guns if you were in some other line of work.

No disrespect intended towards your profession.
Yes, I would still say feel the same way. I try to keep my profession out of my politics. It can be a double edge sword at times though, but I do advocate for citizens and always will.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:15 PM

126 posts, read 184,337 times
Quote:
I've never been in a situation where I needed a gun. I don't expect to ever be, although it is a possibility.
that doesn't apply to everyone because some have used it to save their life. sheep ignores reality and believes they will never be victimized.

Quote:
I don't feel it's worth the trouble to purchase, license, train and carry a gun and ammo with me everywhere I go.
no one is forcing you to own or carry/conceal a firearm. sheep thinks an armed society means everyone should carry guns. an armed society is one that doesn't infringe on a qualified citizen's right to bear arms (doesn't matter if it's for self protection or marksmanship practice).

Quote:
Just as I don't feel it's worth the trouble to wear a helmet everywhere I go just because I might trip and hit my head someday.
wearing a helmet is protecting oneself from self injuries, owning a firearm protects oneself from others. see the difference? sheep doesn't see the difference.

-a|ex

Old 05-20-2010, 01:56 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a|ex View Post
that doesn't apply to everyone because some have used it to save their life. sheep ignores reality and believes they will never be victimized.

wearing a helmet is protecting oneself from self injuries, owning a firearm protects oneself from others. see the difference? sheep doesn't see the difference.

-a|ex
I acknowledged that I may at some point be vicimized. So, how does that make me a sheep?

One could easily be tripped or knocked over by someone else (either on purpose or by accident). One could also get hit in the head by falling construction debris or an item someone happens to throw at you (either on purpose or by accident). As you can see, wearing a helmet is not simply a means of protecting oneself from self-inflicted injury. So how does that make me a sheep?

Old 05-20-2010, 02:07 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,947,225 times
I prefer to be a sheep than a wolf. As a Christian, I don't find "sheep" an insulting term, but rather an apt metaphor, in some respects.

"a | ex" is badly afflicted with a form of hubris that's common in Western society, i.e. the belief that one can be the master of one's fate.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I prefer to be a sheep than a wolf. As a Christian, I don't find "sheep" an insulting term, but rather an apt metaphor, in some respects.

"a | ex" is badly afflicted with a form of hubris that's common in Western society, i.e. the belief that one can be the master of one's fate.
With regard to "the belief that one can be the master of one's fate," what you call hubris another can can call prudence, even self-reliance. We all have choices we are free to make, which do indeed relate to and have a bearing on the outcome of our respective fates.

Old 05-20-2010, 03:10 PM

4,941 posts, read 3,990,125 times
Aside from the overall gun laws debate going on, I see two issues being discussed here: Whether to allow guns in the terminal, and whether to allow guns outside the terminal.

Personally, I see no reason to ban guns from outside the terminal. IMO, the same laws that apply out in the open should apply in the parking deck. The fact that you can't even carry a concealed weapon in your car, even in your trunk, when driving to Hartsfield is absurd. But again, with guns in the terminal, I want to see some statistics on gun-caused fatalities in airport terminals.

As for the overall debate, here are a couple of maps that compare gun violence:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

to the strictness of gun laws:

The scale goes Green (least strict) -> Yellow -> Gold -> Orange -> Red (most strict).

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 07:14 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 06:16 PM

126 posts, read 184,337 times
Quote:
i choose to be a sheepdog... wolves are the bag guys.
the lord isn't your shepherd, it's the media...

Quote:
i'm asian (naturalized citizen)... i believe in shinto and also christ. one can change one's fate by creating opportunities other than waiting for opportunities to happen. it will be difficult to stereotype me if you don't have all the details.

-a|ex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta