U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:07 AM

9,807 posts, read 12,980,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Hmm..funny how the constitution is allowed to change. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed in said places. Like this last push to allow guns on college campuses - are you f****ng kidding me? A place where you should feel safe to voice your opinion and engage in heated discussions, yeah that sounds like a great place for someone to be packin' heat. Give me a break, this is not the 18th century anymore. Sorry but the Constitution was not some sacred document sent here from the heavens. It is not a perfect document.

-----a place where you should feel safe to voice your opinion--

Seems like you only like the parts of the constitution that you favor----like freedom of speech .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2010, 07:28 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,448,451 times
I am not uptodate on this issue--'Guns in Hartsfield-Jackson'---not in favor, though.

Unless I were thoroughly trained I wouldn't attempt to own/use a gun. Fine with me that others can do this. Not fine with me that criminals choose to do this.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:42 AM

7,844 posts, read 14,567,964 times
There is no good reason to have guns in many of the places that the GA Legislature and their allies in the rabid gun lobby want to allow them. GA law has been recently changed to allow guns in colleges, restaurants and bars, transit, etc. These people won't stop.

I am a supporter of the second amendment and have no problem with private citizens owning firearms. With that right comes responsibility and some common sense needs to be applied. This is not 1781. The NRA and other even more extreme groups demand access to weapons with absolutely no training, and unlimited scope in their ability to carry. They even objected to common sense measures such as the Brady Law. Are background checks that verify "law abiding citizens" really bad? Their agenda is irresponsible and reckless. Lack of training and poor safety practices by "law abiding citizens" are the cause for many deaths each year. How many accidental shootings or kids playing with a legal gun do we need to hear about?

As for the airport....I fly all the time. Too many miles. I have NEVER felt unsafe or otherwise in need of a weapon at Hartsfield. I would love to know the actual statistics on crime at the airport. Is there even any? If there is, it would be interesting to see how many times a weapon was used or how many times having a weapon might have protected the victim. I would venture a guess...not many.

This push by gun advocates isn't in the name of keeping anyone safe. It's about an agenda.

Last edited by neil0311; 05-16-2010 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: corrected typos

Old 05-16-2010, 07:50 AM

705 posts, read 920,480 times
There have been crimes at the airport, Ben DeCosta didnt want everyone to know.

It's impossible to predict when one will be victimized. Thats why it's prudent to be prepared. Chance favors the prepared person, and when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

I coundn't care if it's the NRA agenda or not, I have a right to protect myself and NO ONE has any business keeping me or anyone else from doing so, at the airport, campus, park, anywhere. This is the USA, criminals are free to commit crimes and you know what, THEY WILL. So go ahead and feel as safe as you want, armed or unarmed. We're all safer when criminals are dealt with accordingly, by the courts, or by a citizen handling berfore the courts screw it up.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
There have been crimes at the airport, Ben DeCosta didnt want everyone to know.

It's impossible to predict when one will be victimized. Thats why it's prudent to be prepared. Chance favors the prepared person, and when seconds count, the cops are only minutes away.

I coundn't care if it's the NRA agenda or not, I have a right to protect myself and NO ONE has any business keeping me or anyone else from doing so, at the airport, campus, park, anywhere. This is the USA, criminals are free to commit crimes and you know what, THEY WILL. So go ahead and feel as safe as you want, armed or unarmed. We're all safer when criminals are dealt with accordingly, by the courts, or by a citizen handling berfore the courts screw it up.
Axmanjoe, I know from your previous posts that you're a LEO. In that capacity, don't you see many of the negatives of legal firearms? How many times have you worked a case where a legal gun injiured someone who had no idea how to properly use and secure it?

As for being protected at the airport....OK...let's say I stipulate your point and we can agree for the sake of argument. How about at bars and restaurants where alcohol is served? Is it a good idea to be drinking and packing? You're a cop...do you really want to be encoutering drunks with guns?

Old 05-16-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Axmanjoe, I know from your previous posts that you're a LEO. In that capacity, don't you see many of the negatives of legal firearms? How many times have you worked a case where a legal gun injiured someone who had no idea how to properly use and secure it?

As for being protected at the airport....OK...let's say I stipulate your point and we can agree for the sake of argument. How about at bars and restaurants where alcohol is served? Is it a good idea to be drinking and packing? You're a cop...do you really want to be encoutering drunks with guns?

I can't think of any negatives to a citizen arming themself to stay safe.

As far as cases where someone was injured with a firearm, I can't apply the term "legal gun" to any case. A firearm doesnt care how it's used. I've seen and read about cases everywhere from kids shooting themselves or someone else, to hunters ketting shot due to careless handling (remember Cheney). It's the act or ommission by a person that causes these occurrences.

As far as bars and restaurants the same thing applies. If one is stupid enough to get sloshed while carrying a firearm, he needs a quick reality check in the form of the local drunk tank, and maybe a thumping from the sensible patrons before I get there.

If it were up to me there would be no consuming of alcoholic beverages in any public place, just in private residences. If alcohol were discovered to today it would immediatey be classifed as a schedule I substance, like cocaine, heroin, etc. But that's another topic.

I like to tell folks this; I have been conducting an experiment for the last 34 years. I have a loaded handgun in a drawer. It's my test gun. I'm testing it to see if it acidentally discharges. It hasn't as of yet.

See my point. It's the people that are doing these idiotic things that is the crux of the issue. Not people wanting to stay safe.

The acts needs to be addressed, not the items. I cannot fathom where it would be anywhere fair, prudent or justified in not allowing citizens the ability to protect themselves. I know I've said this on this board before, if you expect the government to keep you safe, you are sadly kidding yourself. I don't care what Mayor Reed says, what any police chief says, what Gov Perdue says, what any legislator or what Frank Rotundo at the GA Chiefs Ass'n says, they cannot and will not keep anyone safe when it really counts. When the criminal has a gun to your head, where will they be and where will their respective cops be. Oh yeah, just minutes away, if they even know it's happening.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:04 AM

3,472 posts, read 4,132,778 times
AAAHH!! The sky is falling! The sky falling! Grab your guns, circle the wagons, hide the women & children!!!

Just kidding...

But in all seriousness though, when will this fear-based era run its course? Pick your poison: 9/11, the last Presidential election, Social security, healthcare, illegal immigration, and now guns & crime.

It never fails. Selling fear of the unknown & agitating irrational paranoia will always mean big business. I hope for the day when saner heads can come into office & smooth things out.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
But in all seriousness though, when will this fear-based era run its course? Pick your poison: 9/11, the last Presidential election, Social security, healthcare, illegal immigration, and now guns & crime.
Please, let's not tar all issues with the same brush. There are many real issues and many real concerns, and you mention some. Just because there may be hype related to some issues, that doesn't disqualify or reduce the validity of others.

Frankly, I'm much more concerned about terrorist attacks, illegal aliens, and runaway spending than I am about crime at Hartsfield (and I'm there constantly), which is pretty close to non-existent. It's not "fear" to raise real concerns about real problems in our country.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 AM

Sorry for your mis-inference, I have no connection with big business and I'm not a voice box for any business endeavor, just expressing a concern that everyone should have.

We all shoud be able to move about freely and not worry about the matters you alluded to, but the things you mentioned, things like "9/11, the last Presidential election, Social security, healthcare, illegal immigration, and now guns & crime" are also a reality and need to be addressed. SO, if the elected officials cant or wont address them, the government should not bother the citizens that ARE addressing them in the form of self protection.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:51 AM

2,133 posts, read 3,409,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Hmm..funny how the constitution is allowed to change. Maybe they shouldn't be allowed in said places. Like this last push to allow guns on college campuses - are you f****ng kidding me? A place where you should feel safe to voice your opinion and engage in heated discussions, yeah that sounds like a great place for someone to be packin' heat. Give me a break, this is not the 18th century anymore. Sorry but the Constitution was not some sacred document sent here from the heavens. It is not a perfect document.
I wonder how many Georgia Tech students would agree with this? I swear some of you people are slow.. why do you think so many of them get robbed? Because people KNOW that they are unarmed and cant defend themselves. You can tell pretty easily on here who grew up in a bubble outside of reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta