Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:52 AM

126 posts, read 224,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
However, as another of your posts stated, those on the other side of the argument quite clearly hold as their ideal a "wild west" style society, in which every citizen is armed and ready to shoot at all times. There's just no resolving this ideological conflict.
if that's your image of an armed society, then you bought into the media hype. do some research like i have. i used to be anti-gun and bought into the same media hype as you did.

given the choice, not everyone wants to carry a firearm. an armed society is one that doesn't infringe on a qualified person's right to carry or own a firearm. it doesn't force everyone to carry or purchase one. not sure where you received the notion that gun owners will become a "wild west" society.

are gun owners already a "wild west" society?

Canada still has a number of violent crimes. it is much lower than the U.S. but that doesn't make Canada any safer. people there still get murdered, raped, and burglarized. the difference is, we can legally defend ourselves from attackers legally in certain states.

wouldn't it make sense that more bad guys = more victims willing to protect themselves? more guns does not equal more bad guys.

instead of posting what you've been told in the media, just admit how you really feel. guns are evil and only insane people will carry them in public.

i know this first hand, because my son was recently expelled from a private school for posting a non threatening facebook picture of himself holding my .22 rifle.

-a|ex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 11:04 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Example? The Cold War doesn't count - individuals and countries are not comparable. Please provide an example of a desirable "well armed" society.
Switzerland?

Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
I have respect for the Second Amendment , but people shouldn't be allowed to carry guns on Trains , in Airports , on Mass Transit , or in very crowded or dense public areas like Malls. In these types of areas , carry a gun could led to problems it only takes one wackjob. Since these areas are full or packed with people it can easily become a mass causality event. As for Protection , most Airports , Mass Transit , Malls have very good security or almost no violent crime.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:24 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
I have respect for the Second Amendment , but people shouldn't be allowed to carry guns on Trains , in Airports , on Mass Transit , or in very crowded or dense public areas like Malls. In these types of areas , carry a gun could led to problems it only takes one wackjob. Since these areas are full or packed with people it can easily become a mass causality event. As for Protection , most Airports , Mass Transit , Malls have very good security or almost no violent crime.
Ummm...the "wackjobs" that create mass casualty events don't normally abide by gun laws anyway, so your point is moot. Having a law forbidding the carry of guns in airports, train stations, etc., isn't going to stop someone who is intent on committing a crime from doing so, though the thought that many of the people in the facility may be carrying can act as a deterent. Why do you think Florida's crime rates have consistently dropped since they started allowing concealed carry??

And what "good security" are you talking about on mass transit and in malls?? There's rarely, if ever any security on a train, and the unarmed rent-a-cops at the mall aren't exactly major crime deterrents.....

Old 05-19-2010, 11:59 AM

705 posts, read 1,110,100 times
This is one of the handouts I use when I teach firearms classes;

The purpose of fighting is to win.
There is no possible victory in defense.
The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.

The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

RULE NUMBER 1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes
Away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do carry a .45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a .46."

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

Old 05-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Have you watched the news or checked a new site in the last year or two. Malls, shopping centers and yes airports are havens for criminals. These are the places where there is the biggest need for people need to be armed.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Have you watched the news or checked a new site in the last year or two. Malls, shopping centers and yes airports are havens for criminals. These are the places where there is the biggest need for people need to be armed.
I personally have never felt a need to defend myself at a mall, shopping center, or airport - EVER. What would anyone need with a gun at a shopping mall???

Gun ownership is fine with me, but I don't see the point in carrying one in such ridiculous places.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I personally have never felt a need to defend myself at a mall, shopping center, or airport - EVER. What would anyone need with a gun at a shopping mall???

Gun ownership is fine with me, but I don't see the point in carrying one in such ridiculous places.
Gald you feel so safe.

However, I, as well as scores of others, do see a point in being armed at such places. As a matter of fact over the course of my 32 years in this business I have been faced with quite a few situations where being armed was an advantage over the perpetrator each time. I have read about countless similar stories, and also heard from others with similar stories. As to whether or not a life was saved, the perps or victims, that's conjecture as well as interpretive, but I'd like to think lives were saved each time.

I'm at a loss as to why one would call such places ridiculous, unless it is meant to imply that carrying a firearm in such places is what is supposed to be ridiculous. In that case I have sympathy for your short-sightedness.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:06 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
Gald you feel so safe.

However, I, as well as scores of others, do see a point in being armed at such places. As a matter of fact over the course of my 32 years in this business I have been faced with quite a few situations where being armed was an advantage over the perpetrator each time. I have read about countless similar stories, and also heard from others with similar stories. As to whether or not a life was saved, the perps or victims, that's conjecture as well as interpretive, but I'd like to think lives were saved each time.

I'm at a loss as to why one would call such places ridiculous, unless it is meant to imply that carrying a firearm in such places is what is supposed to be ridiculous. In that case I have sympathy for your short-sightedness.
Yes, of course I said that carrying a gun in such places is ridiculous. The places themselves aren't.

I just can't figure out how you've needed a gun in so many instances. I've lived for over 40 years in places all over the world and have NEVER wished I had a gun for any reason. I think someone is being a little over dramatic about life in general.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:47 PM

126 posts, read 224,331 times
Quote:
I have respect for the Second Amendment , but people shouldn't be allowed to carry guns ...
self contradiction is only self serving.
another case of believing that guns are evil and only insane people carry them in public.

-a|ex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta