U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 PM

705 posts, read 918,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Oh okay...sorry, I made some assumptions from reading your posts. Don't be sorry for ME - it's just the way your words come across.

Locust Grove must have pretty significant crime for anyone to be this afraid to appear in public without a gun. Again, I would review the choices I've made if I had to live my life in constant fear of being attacked.

Good day.
Again, assumptions, assumptions, although I now reside in Locust Grove, I grew up in NJ and NYC, started law enforcement in Houston, also policed in Denver, the Grove is pretty laid back, but the surrounding area can be hazardous and has proven to be so, would you like me to tell you about any recent incidents, or how many perps that were killed by police in the last few years. Keep an open mind there fella, you'd be surprised at what you can learn. Thank you and a good day to you too sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 07:41 PM

126 posts, read 184,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
My friend, you have lived a rough and tumble life if you've needed to have a gun THAT many times in your few short years. You have my sympathies...and I would suggest using some caution regarding the choices you make.

I am far from closed-minded, but that's neither here nor there. The issue is carrying a gun in a non-gun area such as an airport - and I certainly would not be in favor of someone like you going around armed. You seem a little short-fused, and that combination is a shooting just itching to happen.
please go read back my posts... i don't carry/conceal but knowing the mental state of victims, i wouldn't deny them the comfort of carrying/conceal regardless if it's in a non secured area of an airport. the key here is, it's legal for them to carry in non-secured areas of the airport. it's not my place to tell you what to believe in. why are you discussing carrying guns in secured areas of an airport? that's illegal. GA now allows guns in non-secure areas of an airport.

i'm far from short-fused. i've competed in martial arts tournaments in college and have controlled my breathing/concentration to become a reliable marksman at 500 yards. hunting is a sport of patience. with the training i've received, it would be hard for me to be short fused.

i never mentioned you were closed minded. i just want you to be honest with yourself about your true feelings about guns. it's okay if you think guns are evil and anyone that carries them publicly are insane. many people believe this to be true.

i'm not sure what you mean by me living a rough life. i've been brought up in a wealthy catholic family. i live in nice safe neighborhoods (at least i thought it was safe). anyone can be a victim.

look at the city data on where i live, Tyrone GA... 0 murders, 0 rapes, 1 or 2 home robberies in the past 5 years. i don't live in fear, a gun is like a seat belt, it's there when it's needed. people that wear seat belts are not obsessed with getting into an accident. neither are gun owners. gun owners are not obsessed with having to feel secure everywhere they go. it's there when it's needed...

-a|ex

Last edited by a|ex; 05-19-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 09:17 PM

7,844 posts, read 14,546,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by axemanjoe View Post
That's the problem with most gun control advocates. They want their views and mandates adhered to by everyone. Well, not everyone shares those views.
I wasn't going to post any more comments, but I want to clarify what I feel is a mischaracterization of my position. I'm not a "gun control advocate" and I don't believe in banning guns.

I believe that in our society, in 2010, you cannot allow guns to be carried carte blanche. They are not appropriate in some settings, carried by some people, and common sense needs to be applied as far as training and licensing. If you want to call that "gun control" then go ahead, but I don't.

Look, this thread started as a discussion about Hartsfield. We have not heard a single fact that indicates that travelers are unsafe at the airport or that carrying a gun would make them more safe. We've read innuendo, opinion, talking points, and some statements that I consider to just be plain old donkey doo, but nothing that substantiates that travelers who go to the airport (or those meeting them) are at risk today, or would be at less risk with a gun.

This thing has evolved into another discussion about the general state of crime and the general need for people to carry a gun. It's funny that I've made it 45 years living in NYC, traveling the subway at night and walking the streets, living and working in the Atlanta and Boston areas, and never have I needed or felt the need for a gun. I guess I just lead a charmed life, or maybe I don't put myself at risk.

Millions of other people just like me have made it through life without a gun and lived to tell about it. I've never accidentally shot anyone, and my children have never played with my guns, because I don't have any. When I go to the airport or a restaurant, I'm not looking to play Dirty Harry.

Old 05-19-2010, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
I wasn't going to post any more comments, but I want to clarify what I feel is a mischaracterization of my position. I'm not a "gun control advocate" and I don't believe in banning guns.

I believe that in our society, in 2010, you cannot allow guns to be carried carte blanche. They are not appropriate in some settings, carried by some people, and common sense needs to be applied as far as training and licensing. If you want to call that "gun control" then go ahead, but I don't.
there goes the contradiction again... just admit you don't like people with guns.

Quote:
Look, this thread started as a discussion about Hartsfield. We have not heard a single fact that indicates that travelers are unsafe at the airport or that carrying a gun would make them more safe. We've read innuendo, opinion, talking points, and some statements that I consider to just be plain old donkey doo, but nothing that substantiates that travelers who go to the airport (or those meeting them) are at risk today, or would be at less risk with a gun.
it's not about safety in the airport. doesn't matter if the area being carried is a high crime or no crime rate. it has more to do with the constitutionality of gun restrictions in secured areas hartsfield. guess what, GA repealed this infringement. why are you stuck on guns should only be allow in high crime areas.

fact: people can be victimized anywhere in the world. crime statistics prove this. there is a very low percentage that one will be victimized at hartsfield but you cannot say no one will ever be victimized at hartsfield.

Quote:
This thing has evolved into another discussion about the general state of crime and the general need for people to carry a gun. It's funny that I've made it 45 years living in NYC, traveling the subway at night and walking the streets, living and working in the Atlanta and Boston areas, and never have I needed or felt the need for a gun. I guess I just lead a charmed life, or maybe I don't put myself at risk.

Millions of other people just like me have made it through life without a gun and lived to tell about it. I've never accidentally shot anyone, and my children have never played with my guns, because I don't have any.
you beat the odds, congrats. so few others haven't, sux for them. FBI disagrees that the world is safe. FBI also has statistics on how many victims successfully defended themselves with guns. but i know that facts which doesn't support your views are meaningless.

Quote:
When I go to the airport or a restaurant, I'm not looking to play Dirty Harry.
now you're telling us your true feelings. you feel that people that carry are irresponsible and wants to play Dirty Harry... i can't argue with that. tell me more about your fear of guns. you're off to a good start. tell me more...

-a|ex

Old 05-20-2010, 04:55 AM

Well, again, just because yhou have never heard of any facts regardng safety or the lack thereof at the airport doesn't mean everyone is indeed safe.

I agree, everyone should be able and allowed to go to malls, bars, etc. and not have to "play dirty Harry." I certainly do not go out of the house with a plan in place to play shoot-em-up. But the world doesnt work that way. This is the USA. People are free to be jackass's and free to commit crimes. The vast majority of these p[erps are repeat felons and know the system. They do not care who they injure or kill and they realize that they will wind up back in prison or dead sooner or later. SO as long as our wonderful government allows these humans-in-the-form-of-waste-product to roam about freely, people will not be able to safely go to these places.

Again, I agree with a lot of what you say and you are certainly free to feel as safe as you want. Others have a different feeling.

Back to the airport, Mitch Seabaugh made a decision to clean up the language in the current statute. You do not have to carry a handgun at th airport or at a bar if you dont want to. But the legislature decided to clean up the law with this bill. I think it's a god idea as I don't think the restrictions that were in place were ridiculous.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:22 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,516,551 times
Quote:
This is one of the handouts I use when I teach firearms classes;

The purpose of fighting is to win.
There is no possible victory in defense.
The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important than either.

The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental.

RULE NUMBER 1. Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

2. If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

3. I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

4. When seconds count, the cops are just minutes
Away.

5. A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do carry a .45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a .46."

6. An armed man will kill an unarmed man with monotonous regularity.

7. The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. "Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?" "No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle."

8. Beware the man who only has one gun. HE PROBABLY KNOWS HOW TO USE IT!!!

This "handout" comes across as the rantings of someone who prays every night for an opportunity to shoot someone.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
This "handout" comes across as the rantings of someone who prays every night for an opportunity to shoot someone.

Well, that's your interpretation. I don't pray and I ceratinly don't wait or wish for any such opportunity to avail itself. However, we in law enforcement have to be prepared to do what is necessary to stay safe and keep the folks out there safe, you included. As an instructor it's my duty to provide the best instruction and information possible. You don't have to accept or heed that info and advice. We live in places and in a time which can prove to be dangerous. Not ALL the time and not every place, but again, no one can predict what will happen, nor when. You also sound very assuming for someone that does not know the first thing about me and has never spoken to me.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:53 AM
JPD

11,883 posts, read 14,516,551 times
Quote:
Well, that's your interpretation. I don't pray and I ceratinly don't wait or wish for any such opportunity to avail itself. However, we in law enforcement have to be prepared to do what is necessary to stay safe and keep the folks out there safe, you included. As an instructor it's my duty to provide the best instruction and information possible. You don't have to accept or heed that info and advice. We live in places and in a time which can prove to be dangerous. Not ALL the time and not every place, but again, no one can predict what will happen, nor when. You also sound very assuming for someone that does not know the first thing about me and has never spoken to me.
Actually, you've said a lot about yourself on this thread, so assuming you're telling the truth I feel I know quite a bit.

You love to carry guns, and you're ready and willing to use it anytime, anyplace.

Hopefully if I ever find myself gunless in a gunfight you or someone like you will swoop in like a superhero and save the day.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
it depends on the target audience...

i can see this being appropriate to a self defense class or victims of violent crimes group. it's intended for those that are interested.

those that fear guns will react differently than those that treat guns like tools. it's kinda obvious who the target group is. it's not meant to persuade the sheep, but the sheepdogs.

Sheeple (a portmanteau of "sheep" and "people") is a term of disparagement, in which people are likened to sheep.
It is often used to denote persons who voluntarily acquiesce to a perceived authority, or suggestion without sufficient research to understand fully the scope of the ramifications involved in that decision, and thus undermine their own human individuality or in other cases give up certain rights. The implication of sheeple is that as a collective, people believe whatever they are told, especially if told so by a perceived authority figure believed to be trustworthy, without processing it or doing adequate research to be sure that it is an accurate representation of the real world around them. The term is generally used in a political and sometimes in a spiritual sense.

-a|ex

Old 05-20-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Hopefully if I ever find myself gunless in a gunfight you or someone like you will swoop in like a superhero and save the day.
why hopefully? oh, sarcasm...
being gunless in a gunfight? don't rely on someone coming to your rescue. didn't you read the handout?

you are responsible for protecting your person and your family's well being, not the cops or those who took on their own responsibilities... not too many adults realize this. don't be a sheep...

-a|ex
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta