U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 01:49 PM

445 posts, read 935,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57thandMalcolm View Post
I hear you. But since most Blacks experience racism no matter who the President is, people of education and means have a vital interest in living places where they feel less hostility and can live in peace.
Amen. All I can say is, when I drove thru Atl, on the way to NC, I was impressed to see all the brothers and sisters out and about. Was rather refreshing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 03:00 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,906,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuscogeeButterfly View Post
Amen. All I can say is, when I drove thru Atl, on the way to NC, I was impressed to see all the brothers and sisters out and about. Was rather refreshing.
As a Minnesota boy who moved to Atlanta five years ago, all I can say is the different colors are wonderful. All the pretty scenery...

Old 05-20-2010, 01:08 PM

99 posts, read 276,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
The Twin Cities numbers *may* be somewhat biased by the fact that they are home to one of the largest populations of Somali immigrants in the US, but I don't know of that population is included in those economic stats or not.
I am not too familiar with the economic demographics of the Somali population in the Twin Cities area. What I do know is that their numbers are tremendous, and people would be surprised that the Twin Cities is home to the 4th or 5th largest African population in the United States. I believe that your home state has the highest numbers of Somalis in the United States. In any event, I do not know if the US Census separates native-born blacks from immigrant blacks in gateways such as the Twin Cities. I will have to research that soon. If they do, I would like to see the social data for both populations and contrast them. They're probably very interesting, to say the least.

FYI, the closest I have been to Atlanta has been Hartsfield Atlanta (LOL), taking a connecting plane to see an ex in New Orleans back in 2003. I will say this: just being at the airport impressed me, and that says a lot. The again, I'm a former bus driver and love talking about transportation issues.

As far as my family's story is concerned, they moved here when blacks began to shift back to the South (late 1970s). However, the black population in the Quad Cities region (Davenport, Ia.-Rock Island, Ill.-Moline, Ill.-East Moline, Ill.) has been here since the Civil War, and originally settled in an area that became known as Cork Hill on the eastside, whose name is self-explanatory (many Irish immigrants settled there). However, the first real "wave" of black migration to the area occured during WWII, due to Pres. Franklin Delano Roosevelt's signing of EEOC 8802, which integrated federal facilities nationally, opening up doors of opportunity for blacks seeking work. Upon signing of the executive order, the Rock Island Arsenal began recruiting blacks from our neck of the woods--roughly the Starkville/Oxford, Miss. areas to the north to the Meridian, Miss. area to the South, which roughly 50 miles in length.

The second "wave" of blacks moved here during the 1960s-early 1970s, boosting our total black population from roughly 9,000 in the area to about 13,000 out of 400,000 people in the area. It was felt the most in Davenport, on the Iowa side of the Mississippi River, and racial tensions increased immediately. In fact, the federal government filed a lawsuit against the City of Davenport (and rightfully so) for segregated schools during the mid-1970s, and the remedy was busing (don't get me started). Blacks were generally denied housing in white neighborhoods, and generally lived in the Central City, which comprises of many neighborhoods south of Locust Street in Davemnport. However, blacks began branching out of the Central City around the late 1980s, and I would guess that most blacks live North of Locust Street. But I should note that gentrification has ran many African Americans out of the Central City neighborhoods, which had, ironically, some of the finest housing in the area, and wonderful, hilly views that I took for granted until I moved to a flat pit (Waterloo-Cedar Falls, Iowa).

What I am noticing now is a secondary migration of blacks from Chicago, Gary, Indiana and other Rust Belt cities. Its mimicking the migration of blacks into the Twin Cities area during the 1908s-early 2000s, which I am assuming you are very familiar with. Its not a large migration--the black population has been a stable 25,000-30,000 for about 20 years--but its there, nonetheless. Conversely, I have noticed that this surge in black migration is not causing tensions in this part of the region, but is really causing troubles in the "interior" of Iowa, such as Iowa City, Cedar Rapids, where there has been, until recently, a low number of blacks, and even Des Moines, which has had a small, but strong black community for generations.

The Quad Cities has always looked, felt, and voted more like Akron, Ohio than Madison, Wisconsin. In any event, I just wish that the media would focus more on secondary migrations of nonwhites in the United States into very white states instead of talking about the "usual suspects" (black migration into the South, Latino migration into the Soutwest, NYers moving to Florida, et. al), since the impact seems to be felt most in those kinds of areas. As for me, I would prefer to move "home" and settle in Georgia or Texas!! LOL

Last edited by JTJ1977; 05-20-2010 at 01:33 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 03:18 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,157,874 times
Okay, but what's with Atlanta's crime rate and segregation though? This is an honest question...

Old 05-20-2010, 03:30 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,407,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
Okay, but what's with Atlanta's crime rate and segregation though? This is an honest question...

Atlanta is safe for a city its size, check the 2009 crime stats and compare it to other cities

Segregation wise, its as segregated as St Louis, NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, etc. Every city in the world is segregated by either race or class. You should travel a little more and you will see this.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:52 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,772,944 times
Well try not to screw the city like detroit and cleveland pls.

Old 05-21-2010, 08:27 AM

7,797 posts, read 11,736,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Well try not to screw the city like detroit and cleveland pls.

Old 05-22-2010, 12:46 AM

1,352 posts, read 3,772,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
No, no. I refuse to drag myself into that pit of opinions. Besides I am sure most people will know detroits history quite well.

Old 05-22-2010, 03:47 AM

128 posts, read 159,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
No, no. I refuse to drag myself into that pit of opinions. Besides I am sure most people will know detroits history quite well.
No. I dont. Would you care to elaborate?

Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM

267 posts, read 269,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Great post. I think what attracts so many AA to Atlanta is the fact that one can enjoy a standard of living here in North GA that just cant compare anywhere else. And I think that goes for any demographic. Here in Atl, I notice that there are more AA with degrees and more AA that run government and businesses, which helps to create jobs and wealth. I really notice this in Dekalb County. Having seen Dekalb with my college homebois back @ FAMU is what encouraged me to move to Atlanta myself....and I stay in Fulton County myself. While most other metros across America have a well to do black section, here in Atl I observe actual suburbs with mostly upper middle-class blacks to lower mid-class blacks who make a very decent living. I also gotta say, me being in the marching band back in college (Hubba Marching 100 and White Whales-for those who read and may apply) I admire that the parents of Atlanta students support the music programs like they do. Southwest Dekalb, Stephenson (Dekalb) and Lassiter (East Cobb) are some of the finest music programs in America. Long story short, AA love it here in Atl b/c this is the good life. Compared to most major world cities, you just cant be black and attain the standard of living found in metro Atl.

Well, maybe Dallas, PG county MD, Houston, and Charlotte.....but thats debatable.

Check it out. Dekalb is the No.1 Most Affluent County for African Americans.
that is bs you got marketable skills you will get over anywhere you don't have to come to the atl.black folks have nice home and jobs everwhere they just don.t make a big deal about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or