Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 08:21 AM

479 posts, read 703,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Actually, he was talking about bigots and xenophobes...
Cute try. Not buying it.

And, is it really xenophobia to believe that the state of Arizona has the right to make its own laws that actually enforce current federal law?

A majority of americans (you know the ones going the way of the dodo bird) support the Arizona law. Collectively they comprise a population far larger than the state of Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullbear View Post
Cute try. Not buying it.
Given that the poster did not mention race but a mindset, one can conclude that it was bigots and xenophobes they were referring to. If you think they were suggesting that "whites" were going to become extinct, well that's just you.

Quote:
And, is it really xenophobia to believe that the state of Arizona has the right to make its own laws that actually enforce current federal law? .
Yes it is. Especially when you consider that the law is really unecessary. In states where there is no such law, if an illegal immigrant is caught by the police than can then be turned over to USCIS for deportation. With Arizona's law, anyone with an accent, funny name, and does not look "american" is at risk for harrassment and profiling (Something that effects even european immigrants). Even if someone is here legally as a resident, they are unlikely to be carrying their papers at all times and could be subject to false imprisonment or deportation. Even citizens could be subject to this if they meet the "profile". This is why that law is wrong. But that is a debate for a different thread and time.

Quote:
A majority of americans (you know the ones going the way of the dodo bird) support the Arizona law. Collectively they comprise a population far larger than the state of Arizona.

Well, that's just a case of personal views shading your made up statistics.

Old 05-19-2010, 08:56 AM

8 posts, read 12,992 times
Quote:
Classic. The poster's not so subtle contention that "white people/culture are fading into oblivion". Interesting how its cool for some to boast about whites' so-called inevitable racial and cultural genocide at the hands of "others". BTW, its dodo bird...
What's "white culture"? I mean, what are you referring to,as a white american, by "white culture"?

Quote:
Whites are till a majority of the total US population. No one group is likely to displace whites as the single largest group. When whites are less than half of the total, just think of all the special hiring practices that will finally tilt in our favor. Oh boy, we can hardly wait!
So thats what you have your panties in a bunch over? Whites eventually being supplanted by minorities? I know you cringe at demographic studies that show that whites are on their way to becoming the minority, and when they do, hey ill pass my "race card" on to you

Quote:
FYI, the president is half white. He was raised by his white mother and white grandparents. He has an ivy league education. Culturally, he is more white than a lot of people with two white parents....
Lets see here....he loves soul food, Earth Wind & Fire, and has married a black woman.Yeah culturally hes white alright LOL
Sure he was raised by 2 white parents, but culturally, there seems to be nothing "white" about him lol

Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb Really Now?...Well, I Just Happen To Be An American...

Quote:
Cute try. Not buying it.

And, is it really xenophobia to believe that the state of Arizona has the right to make its own laws that actually enforce current federal law?

And I think the law is a bit sketchy...please don't try to speak for those of us who think the law is BS, and have a RIGHT to say the law is BS, because there are more of US out here than you might care to admit...

Also, as to the question of the President's ancestry---hmmm, man looks black to these eyes...playing the 'he's half white, so there!' card belongs in the BS file as well...

I really have a problem with all the wolf tickets being sold by a certain segment of the population that piddles their diapers and starts puffing out their chests and crying when an issue involves someone who doesn't look, think, act, vote, or live like THEY perceive is right...yep---I'm talking about SOME** whites who believe that everything is supposed to be about them 24/7/365...wrong answer, folks...this (like you are ALWAYS bellowing lately) is America...y'know, that land where EVERYBODY has a voice and a say and a vote, and where one ethnicity DOESN'T get to run everything or make the rules, no matter how much they long for some Pleasntville-sanitized version where certain people 'know their place'

**= I took great care to capitalize the word SOME, because it's the truth...I am not going to castigate the ENTIRE white race because of the actions of a portion of that population...it's not right---same as you can't stereotype all blacks as being ghetto and criminal, or all Hispanics as being illegal aliens (see under my objection to the Arizona law)

Old 05-19-2010, 09:15 AM

479 posts, read 703,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well, that's just a case of personal views shading your made up statistics.

Do your reserach before you start applying your personal views! This quote is from an AJC article written by Cynthia Tucker!:

"A strong majority of Americans support Arizona’s controversial new immigration law and would back similar laws in their own states, a new McClatchy-Ipsos poll found.
Sixty-one percent of Americans — and 64 percent of registered voters — said they favored the law in a survey of 1,016 adults conducted May 6-9.
Strikingly, nearly half of Democrats like the law, under which local law enforcement officers are tasked with verifying people’s immigration status if they suspect them of being in the country illegally. While the Democratic Party generally is regarded as more sympathetic to illegal immigrants’ plights, 46 percent of Democrats said they favored the law for Arizona and 49 percent said they’d favor the law’s passage in their own states.
More than 8 in 10 Republicans and 54 percent of independents favor the law"

Despite its racial profiling, Americans support Arizona law | Cynthia Tucker

Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,362 times
It's more common for a mixed child to be more geared to the there African side... The are plenty of black that go to Ivey league schools... The sad part about America is this race thing is never going to cease.. Hopefully the new generation of adults can change the views on race.... It's ashame I have been to many countries and never really scene people have as much of a race issue like America. It's ridiculous ridiculous... It's ashame that it took this long to get a president from another other than white... I see why there are alot Americans moving to other countries..

Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 AM

8,486 posts, read 14,997,570 times
Back on topic....

This is a dramtic and positive development.

My grandparents and their siblings were a part of the Great Migration of African-Americans who left the South and headed north to places like Chicago, Detroit, Philly, and NYC. They did this only because it was near impossible in the early to mid 20th century to find work, get an education, and live a peaceful life if you were black.

It speaks volumes for the progress we have made as a society that the children and grandchildren of that generation are now moving "back home" for the exact reasons why they left. It took a few hundred years and several generations, but the promise of America is finally here for African-Americans and there is no better place that showcases that than Atlanta

Old 05-19-2010, 09:25 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,362 times
Until some Of these Americans start getting profiled because of this law they will realize what a stupid law it is....

Old 05-19-2010, 10:56 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
As far as a previous poster's comment about the Twin Cities area, they're joking, correct? Yes, there are lots of black professionals in the TC area, but there's not a neighborhood in the entire TC area that's black and middle class. No, do not count the blacks living in low-income and section 8 housing in Brooklyn Park. I'm talking about blacks with money, education, and clout. In fact, the Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minn. area, a supposedly "liberal" bastion when it comes to race relations (lol), has the poorest black population in the United States out of the top 100 largest metro areas. I would consider the Atlanta region to be a lot more progressive than a Denver, Seattle, or Minneapolis. Its easy to think of yourself as progressive when damn near everybody looks like you.
The Twin Cities numbers *may* be somewhat biased by the fact that they are home to one of the largest populations of Somali immigrants in the US, but I don't know of that population is included in those economic stats or not.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:45 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
It's more common for a mixed child to be more geared to the there African side... The are plenty of black that go to Ivey league schools... The sad part about America is this race thing is never going to cease.. Hopefully the new generation of adults can change the views on race.... It's ashame I have been to many countries and never really scene people have as much of a race issue like America. It's ridiculous ridiculous... It's ashame that it took this long to get a president from another other than white... I see why there are alot Americans moving to other countries..
Not in Minnesota. Unlike the South and other areas of the Midwest, biracial children here usually tend towards mainstream/white culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta