U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2010, 10:36 AM
 
1,114 posts, read 1,947,205 times
Reputation: 700

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Look at the demographics of Ga Tech... Most black students are getting there engineering degrees from elsewhere....
That doesn't sound right if their website means anything:
GT | Facts & Figures

Their source says GT is #2 behind NC A&T but they're still near the top for engineering degrees.
Top 100 Bachelor's Degree Producers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2010, 10:38 AM
 
311 posts, read 726,059 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merin View Post
Can another Howard grad get an AMEN?

YAYY! What school? -I was school of B
Btw-how are you liking Atlanta? I'm still in DC but I realllly want to move out this year
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
 
Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,461,870 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
I know Im probably gonna get reemed for this by HBCU grads, but.....
CAU shouldnt even be in the top 25....Clark is a total waste of money.
I went to Clark for one year and then transferred to HU, only after making a brief stop at Atlanta Metro and the AMC/ATC facilities as a JC were better than CAU's. While HU was better it was still very similar to CAU- a fashion show. Looking back on everything now I should have headed my pops advice and went to Ga-State. When I have kids and they get to college age they will not be going to an HBCU
Sounds like you just couldnt cut it...many can't and either party too hard or are distracted so I understand. HBCU's are definitely not for everyone but everyone who is a friend of mine does extremely well and the connections we have made locally and globally last a lifetime. I won't even bother to post stats on successful people who have matriculated through HBCU's and the job placement/professional school rates that are EXTREMELY HIGHER than PWI's and not to mention the networking factor through fraternities/sororities and just attending a HBCU (especially the larger/private ones).

I graduated in 4 years and have a GREAT career...attended Grad School back on the West Coast and cleared 6 figures @ age 28. Many other alums are successful businesses or work in great professions as many of my fellow CAU alums do. We all live by the Motto that always rings true...Find a Way or Make One.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 05-18-2010 at 11:19 AM.. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 11:38 AM
 
Location: West Midtown Atlanta
364 posts, read 616,748 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Sounds like you just couldnt cut it...many can't and either party too hard or are distracted so I understand. HBCU's are definitely not for everyone but everyone who is a friend of mine does extremely well and the connections we have made locally and globally last a lifetime. I won't even bother to post stats on successful people who have matriculated through HBCU's and the job placement/professional school rates that are EXTREMELY HIGHER than PWI's and not to mention the networking factor through fraternities/sororities and just attending a HBCU (especially the larger/private ones).

I graduated in 4 years and have a GREAT career...attended Grad School back on the West Coast and cleared 6 figures @ age 28. Many other alums are successful businesses or work in great professions as many of my fellow CAU alums do. We all live by the Motto that always rings true...Find a Way or Make One.

rofl @ "just couldn't cut it"....big dog I pulled a 3.2 at CAU while standing on my head. I partied 5 nights out of the week, cut class regularly and when I did go I was usually late, on top of that fact that I was a gigantic 420 head back then. So please dont act like most HBCU's are bastions of scholastic fortitude when they are not. HU was better, but even still it was more of the same. And my "not cutting it" as you call it was due more to the fact that my father came down with pancreatic cancer and it was no longer financially feasible for my parents to shell out 25K + a year for tuition than anything else. And Im not even gonna touch on the fact that a state public JC here in Atlanta has more commited teachers and better and newer equipment than a private 4 year school.

And it also appears as if you and your friends are living in a bubble, as I have a plethora of homeboys that graduated from Morehouse and Clark who now have middle of the road jobs, or no jobs at all on top of the fact they are in debt like crazy. So once again dont sit here and act like everyone who graduates from CAU or Morehouse comes out and steps into a 6 figure job. For every story like yours I can point to one of a Morehouse or CAU grad that is working as a floor manager at Athletes Foot or at a call center in Alpaharetta, nothing wrong with that, but IMO you didnt have to sit in class for 4-6 years and become saddled with debt to do that. You could have bypassed wasting away that time and did that fresh out of HS. I dropped out of an HBCU and got a job with a business development 501 (c)(3), along with starting my own for profit business consulting LLC on the side. Now Im 24 and allot of my friends that stayed in school have been graduating the last 2-3 years. Most of them cant even find a job, let alone a job in the concentration they went to school for.


So in the end I think I came out pretty good, and just like I stated in my last post, If I could go back I would have went to G-State. Much cheaper and a much better education. But since I dont have a time machine to recitfy my error, I will just make sure that when I have kids and they aspire to go to college I will steer them away from HBCU's as much as possible.

Hate me now patna, but thats my honest opinoin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 11:42 AM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,878,716 times
Reputation: 2762
Not even retail will hire a manager fresh out of high school - especially not in today's economy where there are many overqualified applicants for every menial job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 11:48 AM
 
Location: West Midtown Atlanta
364 posts, read 616,748 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Not even retail will hire a manager fresh out of high school - especially not in today's economy where there are many overqualified applicants for every menial job.

Very true but you can start working your way up fresh out of high school, and by the time your peers graduate from college you may very well be a manager by then. But that in of itself means nothing, I said that to drive home a point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 12:19 PM
 
Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,461,870 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
rofl @ "just couldn't cut it"....big dog I pulled a 3.2 at CAU while standing on my head. I partied 5 nights out of the week, cut class regularly and when I did go I was usually late, on top of that fact that I was a gigantic 420 head back then. So please dont act like most HBCU's are bastions of scholastic fortitude when they are not. HU was better, but even still it was more of the same. And my "not cutting it" as you call it was due more to the fact that my father came down with pancreatic cancer and it was no longer financially feasible for my parents to shell out 25K + a year for tuition than anything else. And Im not even gonna touch on the fact that a state public JC here in Atlanta has more commited teachers and better and newer equipment than a private 4 year school.

And it also appears as if you and your friends are living in a bubble, as I have a plethora of homeboys that graduated from Morehouse and Clark who now have middle of the road jobs, or no jobs at all on top of the fact they are in debt like crazy. So once again dont sit here and act like everyone who graduates from CAU or Morehouse comes out and steps into a 6 figure job. For every story like yours I can point to one of a Morehouse or CAU grad that is working as a floor manager at Athletes Foot or at a call center in Alpaharetta, nothing wrong with that, but IMO you didnt have to sit in class for 4-6 years and become saddled with debt to do that. You could have bypassed wasting away that time and did that fresh out of HS. I dropped out of an HBCU and got a job with a business development 501 (c)(3), along with starting my own for profit business consulting LLC on the side. Now Im 24 and allot of my friends that stayed in school have been graduating the last 2-3 years. Most of them cant even find a job, let alone a job in the concentration they went to school for.


So in the end I think I came out pretty good, and just like I stated in my last post, If I could go back I would have went to G-State. Much cheaper and a much better education. But since I dont have a time machine to recitfy my error, I will just make sure that when I have kids and they aspire to go to college I will steer them away from HBCU's as much as possible.

Hate me now patna, but thats my honest opinoin
I was on a full scholarship so I didnt have time for "420" and cutting class and partying 5 days a week...of course I partied but in moderation and was very focused as many of my friends were who are successful NOW. Your post summed up the type of demographic that normally doesnt make it at HBCU's and drops out to attend a local state school and then bad mouths the more expensive one. I'm not surprised...Good luck in your endeavors though .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 12:30 PM
 
311 posts, read 726,059 times
Reputation: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
I know Im probably gonna get reemed for this by HBCU grads, but.....
CAU shouldnt even be in the top 25....Clark is a total waste of money.
I went to Clark for one year and then transferred to HU, only after making a brief stop at Atlanta Metro and the AMC/ATC facilities as a JC were better than CAU's. While HU was better it was still very similar to CAU- a fashion show. Looking back on everything now I should have headed my pops advice and went to Ga-State. When I have kids and they get to college age they will not be going to an HBCU

Hey Zone what school were you in at Howard? I can say that there are a few schools/majors that arent "cream of the crop" at my school but I can say that about black AND white schools. Every University has programs that they invest the most time and effort in to attract a core niche of students and if you attend a school that is really not in the top in terms of academics for the program you want to pursue, it's not going to be a good fit and you'll get bored. Even if my child wanted to go to my Alma Mater, if she chose a school/major that I didn't think she'd be challenged at with that particular University, I'd guide her towards other choices. ...I honestly hate when people say that "someone couldn't cut it" if they had a bad experience at an HBCU, like it's a fraternity/sorority lol and I hate when people down ALL HBCU's and their programs because of their bad experiences. It just wasn't a good fit *shrugs*

That's kinda why I chose Howard...I had other choices (white and black) but I chose HU for the caliber and value of their program...not for the "black experience" but just because compared to the rest it would help me the most, and I don't regret my decision at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 12:40 PM
 
Location: West Midtown Atlanta
364 posts, read 616,748 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
I was on a full scholarship so I didnt have time for "420" and cutting class and partying 5 days a week...of course I partied but in moderation and was very focused as many of my friends were who are successful NOW. Your post summed up the type of demographic that normally doesnt make it at HBCU's and drops out to attend a local state school and then bad mouths the more expensive one. I'm not surprised...Good luck in your endeavors though .
I bought the 420 and partying up to highlight the fact that HBCU's for the most part are easy. You're acting like they are elite institutions of higher learning when the only thing elite about them is the price tag. If I went to Emory or Tech and comported myself how I did at CAU, I would have flunked out, let alone come close to pulling anything above a 3.0 GPA. I also noticed that you gave no mention to my comment about schools like G State being much cheaper and much better education wise. Just as you are not surprised at my response, I am not surprised by yours as I have had this debate over and over with friends and family. One thing I will say though is the defensive nature of HBCU grads when someone makes a comment like mine sort of belies a "hit dog will holler" type of mentality. I kind of feel if my statements didnt have one ounce of truth to them you all wouldn't get so defensive when I make them. If I go tell a UGA grad that his school education is overrated he will just shrug it off and keep it moving, HBCU grads on the other hand act like you have two-pieced their mom in the nose when you say that though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
 
Location: West Midtown Atlanta
364 posts, read 616,748 times
Reputation: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
Hey Zone what school were you in at Howard? I can say that there are a few schools/majors that arent "cream of the crop" at my school but I can say that about black AND white schools. Every University has programs that they invest the most time and effort in to attract a core niche of students and if you attend a school that is really not in the top in terms of academics for the program you want to pursue, it's not going to be a good fit and you'll get bored. Even if my child wanted to go to my Alma Mater, if she chose a school/major that I didn't think she'd be challenged at with that particular University, I'd guide her towards other choices. ...I honestly hate when people say that "someone couldn't cut it" if they had a bad experience at an HBCU, like it's a fraternity/sorority lol and I hate when people down ALL HBCU's and their programs because of their bad experiences. It just wasn't a good fit *shrugs*

That's kinda why I chose Howard...I had other choices (white and black) but I chose HU for the caliber and value of their program...not for the "black experience" but just because compared to the rest it would help me the most, and I don't regret my decision at all.

School of Edu.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top