U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-18-2010, 01:03 PM
 
Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,458,425 times
Reputation: 349

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
I bought the 420 and partying up to highlight the fact that HBCU's for the most part are easy. You're acting like they are elite institutions of higher learning when the only thing elite about them is the price tag. If I went to Emory or Tech and comported myself how I did at CAU, I would have flunked out, let alone come close to pulling anything above a 3.0 GPA. I also noticed that you gave no mention to my comment about schools like G State being much cheaper and much better education wise. Just as you are not surprised at my response, I am not surprised by yours as I have had this debate over and over with friends and family. One thing I will say though is the defensive nature of HBCU grads when someone makes a comment like mine sort of belies a "hit dog will holler" type of mentality. I kind of feel if my statements didnt have one ounce of truth to them you all wouldn't get so defensive when I make them. If I go tell a UGA grad that his school education is overrated he will just shrug it off and keep it moving, HBCU grads on the other hand act like you have two-pieced their mom in the nose when you say that though.
Georgia State wasnt even on the radar for me in 1998 (Never even heard of it at that time...not a knock on the school)...If I was going to a local school I would of accepted the many scholarships I received back home in California to University of California @ Davis and a few other private colleges and Universities. As far as HBCU's I only considered the private HBCU's which included Morehouse, Clark Atlanta and Howard. I was offered various scholarships to all 3 but I really wanted to be in Atlanta and in a city environment so CAU won out.

Why CAU? Well I majored in Mass Comm/Business..."CAU has produced and continues to graduate largest number of African American MBAs." CAU School of Business
Also CAU has one of the best Mass Communications Schools in the country that produces the most Mass Comminications degrees in the countries with a number of outstanding professionals in the field (Bryan Barber-Director, Jacque Reid-Journalist to name a few).

I wanted to attend a HBCU for the networking, excellent program and placement in my major of choice and small class size and it's paid off...not to mention no debt which was highly important In my case.

Obvious it wasn't a good fit for you but I know plenty of people that wouldnt trade it for anything. Le Chaim .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-18-2010, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,895,736 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
rofl @ "just couldn't cut it"....big dog I pulled a 3.2 at CAU while standing on my head. I partied 5 nights out of the week, cut class regularly and when I did go I was usually late, on top of that fact that I was a gigantic 420 head back then. So please dont act like most HBCU's are bastions of scholastic fortitude when they are not. HU was better, but even still it was more of the same. And my "not cutting it" as you call it was due more to the fact that my father came down with pancreatic cancer and it was no longer financially feasible for my parents to shell out 25K + a year for tuition than anything else. And Im not even gonna touch on the fact that a state public JC here in Atlanta has more commited teachers and better and newer equipment than a private 4 year school.

And it also appears as if you and your friends are living in a bubble, as I have a plethora of homeboys that graduated from Morehouse and Clark who now have middle of the road jobs, or no jobs at all on top of the fact they are in debt like crazy. So once again dont sit here and act like everyone who graduates from CAU or Morehouse comes out and steps into a 6 figure job. For every story like yours I can point to one of a Morehouse or CAU grad that is working as a floor manager at Athletes Foot or at a call center in Alpaharetta, nothing wrong with that, but IMO you didnt have to sit in class for 4-6 years and become saddled with debt to do that. You could have bypassed wasting away that time and did that fresh out of HS. I dropped out of an HBCU and got a job with a business development 501 (c)(3), along with starting my own for profit business consulting LLC on the side. Now Im 24 and allot of my friends that stayed in school have been graduating the last 2-3 years. Most of them cant even find a job, let alone a job in the concentration they went to school for.


So in the end I think I came out pretty good, and just like I stated in my last post, If I could go back I would have went to G-State. Much cheaper and a much better education. But since I dont have a time machine to recitfy my error, I will just make sure that when I have kids and they aspire to go to college I will steer them away from HBCU's as much as possible.

Hate me now patna, but thats my honest opinoin
Look I'm not gonna lie.HBCU's can be extra work when it does not have to be for the simplest of things.As someone who when to a mainstream university and finally graduating from an HBCU.(Fort Valley State University)my experience ran the gambit.Overall though it was inspiring.Maybe because im a legacy.
My grandmother,,My parents met there,both my dads sisters,there cousins one of which graduated in 1964 was the Highest-ranking African American official in the US Department of Education for 25 years, 5 of my mom siblings.The list goes on and on,

My father was a dean at Morris Brown and later Clark Atlanta,He was the fist African American President of the GASFAA(the Georgia branch of the financial aid governig body that is responsible for government student loans) and the Grand Master for the State of Georgia Prince Hall Masonry.The same position that at one time was held by John Wesley Dobbs(Grandfather of Maynard Jackson and activist with cicilk rights pioneer A.Phillip Randolf.
A. Philip Randolph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is just in my family.Pretty much every job i wanted I got or had a choice.I had a choice.I chose to try an HBCU.When I have kids it ,the choice will be up to them.I hope you are not trying to infer that your choices are less if you go to an HBCU.

Also YOU said you were a ":weed head" so basically you are downing the school for the type of people that went there but it was YOU that most schools would not want based on your drug usauge.Those people like you it seems are what you hated about the school.How does that make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 02:22 PM
 
Location: West Midtown Atlanta
364 posts, read 615,803 times
Reputation: 158
[
Quote:
quote=afonega1;14230293]
Quote:
Look I'm not gonna lie.HBCU's can be extra work when it does not have to be for the simplest of things.As someone who when to a mainstream university and finally graduating from an HBCU.(Fort Valley State University)my experience ran the gambit.Overall though it was inspiring.Maybe because im a legacy.
My grandmother,,My parents met there,both my dads sisters,there cousins one of which graduated in 1964 was the Highest-ranking African American official in the US Department of Education for 25 years, 5 of my mom siblings.The list goes on and on,

I am not a legacy, my dad didnt even go to college and my mom graduated from WMU up in Michigan. Children who are legacies are the only ones who get anything out of HBCU's IMO. If your an average joe from an average family that doesnt have connections like yours, you are better off not going to an HBCU


Quote:
My father was a dean at Morris Brown and later Clark Atlanta,He was the fist African American President of the GASFAA(the Georgia branch of the financial aid governig body that is responsible for government student loans) and the Grand Master for the State of Georgia Prince Hall Masonry.The same position that at one time was held by John Wesley Dobbs(Grandfather of Maynard Jackson and activist with cicilk rights pioneer A.Phillip Randolf.
A. Philip Randolph - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That is just in my family.Pretty much every job i wanted I got or had a choice.I had a choice.I chose to try an HBCU.When I have kids it ,the choice will be up to them.I hope you are not trying to infer that your choices are less if you go to an HBCU.
But yet I am, see my comments above. For those of us who dont have the family connections in place, going to an HBCU really doesnt afford any oppurtunities.

Quote:
Also YOU said you were a ":weed head" so basically you are downing the school for the type of people that went there but it was YOU that most schools would not want based on your drug usauge.Those people like you it seems are what you hated about the school.How does that make sense
?

Big dog are you serious??? My personal weed smoking was harmless in comparison to the students that were getting pounds of weed shipped to them from their homeboys back in Cali and selling it or the students from here that were setting up students that were not from here to get robbed. Students like me were not the problem. Im pretty sure that if school were in and if the police did a sweep of Heritage Commons right now they would yield a ton of stuff that would be along the lines of a raid in a trap house. That was one of my main problems with CAU, it's a college of course, but you had hella students selling drugs, robbing people, scamming people and who knows what else, and at the end of the day most of us were middle class to upper class kids. Like REALLY???????? And then people have the gall to act like its an elite institution because it has an elite price tag??? No sir, Im sorry, I will not be throwing my money away when I have kids at another HBCU. They need to get their sh*t together, point blank end of story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 02:25 PM
 
Location: West Midtown Atlanta
364 posts, read 615,803 times
Reputation: 158
lol..I have to learn how to quote right, I totally screwed up that last post. Oh well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 07:09 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,895,736 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
[


Big dog are you serious??? My personal weed smoking was harmless in comparison to the students that were getting pounds of weed shipped to them from their homeboys back in Cali and selling it or the students from here that were setting up students that were not from here to get robbed. Students like me were not the problem. Im pretty sure that if school were in and if the police did a sweep of Heritage Commons right now they would yield a ton of stuff that would be along the lines of a raid in a trap house. That was one of my main problems with CAU, it's a college of course, but you had hella students selling drugs, robbing people, scamming people and who knows what else, and at the end of the day most of us were middle class to upper class kids. Like REALLY???????? And then people have the gall to act like its an elite institution because it has an elite price tag??? No sir, Im sorry, I will not be throwing my money away when I have kids at another HBCU. They need to get their sh*t together, point blank end of story.
Im not attacking .So please if I came across that way forgive me.But my family connections had nothing to do with me going.I detest that type of nepotism.My parents are not that type to even be in those cliquish society groups.We purposely avoided moving to the Cascade's because of this.

When I decided to go to FVSU,I did not even tell my dad at first.It was after 2weeks of class did I finally wise up.In fact I used MY GI BILL for my school.I told my dad I wanted it myself.It was not till near the end did I need a little help with money.Most people did not even know who I was until other people said things.But I never once abused it for myself.

There was a time that a friend had trouble getting his refund check in a timely manner.The Finance Department head was my dads Frat brother(Kappa Alpha Psi).He and his wife used to baby sit me too.I took him with me and ask him if there was anything he could do.He did.But nothing illegal,just expedited the process for him.

That is not unusual at ANY school.So dont give me that like they dont do that at mainstream colleges.Just as much or more.So your point is moot

Before I went in the Air Force I got accepted to Emory University but started at Clayton State because at that time I hated to fail.I also did not want to live in my Dads shadow.So I would not start something I was not a hundred percent sure I could excel.I went in the Air Force I guess you would say to basically establish my own legacy.During that time I went school while stationed at Dover AFB, Delaware and went to Wesley College part time.Wesley is the oldest private college in Delaware.Extremely white.Yet the first time I ever saw some one do Cocaine in real life was in a dorm while visiting friends.I was shocked because yeh I was kinda sheltered.It just seems that the same things that are acceptable at white colleges are just "isolated incidents" but at Black colleges "they are out of control"
.
Did you just see on the news about the guy at Harvard arrested on Identity Theft.What about the female student at Yale that killed by another student?Thats not even the first time a murder on that campus had occurred.Harvard also.So I guess its different when its the "man"?

Now I will say also that some schools are better than others.But you act like everybody you know that went to UGA are lawyers and doctors while those at blacks schools are with degrees are working at Burger King.
Yeh I got an issue with that.Because I honestly do no see any main difference except those I know at Howard,Morehouse,Spelman,Hampton.Almost everybody that I know that went to those schools are somewhat comfortable at least.
All schools are not equal nor are they all bad.Black or white.

When I was able be stationed closer back in Georgia.I decided to finish at FVSU.
At Fort Valley I saw so many FOOLS!!But i did not focus on that.I saw people who had a since of purpose and drive.A faculty that for the most part made sure you got what you wanted.You did have to assert yourself more to get what you wanted,but that was why i know how to maneuver today in not so perfect environments.

If you put the work in then kids will act right even when there parents are not around.My sister nor I never smoked,did drugs,or even drank.Profanity is something I rarely even do to this day.The "N" I detest and I let those around me who insist to please refrain in my presence or Im out..

Why I am I like this?Because I was scared as hell of my dad!!He did not beat me,but he was really good at being intimidating when he wanted.My father is my Father.Not my FRIEND.More parents need to remember that today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 07:28 PM
 
Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,458,425 times
Reputation: 349
^^^
Great post as always AFONGEGA1...BTW I havent seen one HBCU to make a National Top 10 party school list EVER. But people in the know sure know we get down as well .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2010, 11:23 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,350,161 times
Reputation: 486
Yeah that was a great post.. I think alot of people speak on personal experience and then generalize a whole campus to be a mess... But forget the hardworkering people that Graduated from these schools and are very successful today.. Every college have there issues.. Look at Virgina Tech someone went on a killing spree there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 AM
 
1,546 posts, read 2,550,305 times
Reputation: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone2flyboy View Post
[


Big dog are you serious??? My personal weed smoking was harmless in comparison to the students that were getting pounds of weed shipped to them from their homeboys back in Cali and selling it or the students from here that were setting up students that were not from here to get robbed. Students like me were not the problem. Im pretty sure that if school were in and if the police did a sweep of Heritage Commons right now they would yield a ton of stuff that would be along the lines of a raid in a trap house. That was one of my main problems with CAU, it's a college of course, but you had hella students selling drugs, robbing people, scamming people and who knows what else, and at the end of the day most of us were middle class to upper class kids. Like REALLY???????? And then people have the gall to act like its an elite institution because it has an elite price tag??? No sir, Im sorry, I will not be throwing my money away when I have kids at another HBCU. They need to get their sh*t together, point blank end of story.
I don't know... Emory, UGA, and Florida State all have pretty heavy drug games too. And it's not the blacks predominantly buying and selling. I know that in all schools, that culture is a minority. And I'd even venture to say that it is a smaller minority in Emory (for example). But the kids who are in it are doing way more (in terms of drug selling and usage) than all the guys you knew from CAU. You'd really be surprised. And these aren't low brow dudes, these are guys who make all A's, have scholarships, and are very affluent, but they also are selling weed, coke, and x buy the pound. And as you know, Emory is a very prestigious, expensive, private university.

Also, the party scenes at many HBCU's are nothing compared to the stuff you see at Florida State and UGA. I'm not dissing any of these schools and the only reason I gave these specific examples is because I am very familiar with each institution, either from my own college experience or that of friends and family.

My only point is that the I think the stuff that you are talking about (in terms of drugs) happens in many schools and is not specific to CAU and HBCU's. I think it was just more pronounced to you because you were immersed in that culture.

For the record, I also know some Emory grads with master's etc. making $30,000. And I also CAU grads that are extremely successful (and vice versa). At the end of the day, i just think you get out of college what you put into it and you control your success both in school and after school more than anything else... While you and your homeboys may have been getting 3.2's smoking out. Somebody on that campus was studying all night, making 4.0+, and actually trying to learn all they could to help them in the real world... It's not about the school, its about the individual...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 08:08 AM
 
Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,458,425 times
Reputation: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
I don't know... Emory, UGA, and Florida State all have pretty heavy drug games too. And it's not the blacks predominantly buying and selling. I know that in all schools, that culture is a minority. And I'd even venture to say that it is a smaller minority in Emory (for example). But the kids who are in it are doing way more (in terms of drug selling and usage) than all the guys you knew from CAU. You'd really be surprised. And these aren't low brow dudes, these are guys who make all A's, have scholarships, and are very affluent, but they also are selling weed, coke, and x buy the pound. And as you know, Emory is a very prestigious, expensive, private university.

Also, the party scenes at many HBCU's are nothing compared to the stuff you see at Florida State and UGA. I'm not dissing any of these schools and the only reason I gave these specific examples is because I am very familiar with each institution, either from my own college experience or that of friends and family.

My only point is that the I think the stuff that you are talking about (in terms of drugs) happens in many schools and is not specific to CAU and HBCU's. I think it was just more pronounced to you because you were immersed in that culture.

For the record, I also know some Emory grads with master's etc. making $30,000. And I also CAU grads that are extremely successful (and vice versa). At the end of the day, i just think you get out of college what you put into it and you control your success both in school and after school more than anything else... While you and your homeboys may have been getting 3.2's smoking out. Somebody on that campus was studying all night, making 4.0+, and actually trying to learn all they could to help them in the real world... It's not about the school, its about the individual...
Amen...BTW this incident that happened at San Diego State would NEVER happen at a HBCU...

"Students at a San Diego university were offered discount prices on cocaine via mass text-messaging as part of a brazen campus-wide drug-dealing operation, according to American anti-drugs agents.

The claim was made after the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) arrested 75 students at San Diego State University and shut down six fraternities - prestigious social organisations typically named with Greek letters.

Suspects include a student who was about to receive a criminal justice degree and another about to get a masters in homeland security.

For the parents of college students, the most shocking allegation by the DEA is that some San Diego frat houses, which provide accommodation for fraternity members as well as host social functions, may have been using profits from drug dealing to finance their own operations."



San Diego student cocaine ring smashed - Times Online
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-19-2010, 08:27 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,895,736 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
Amen...BTW this incident that happened at San Diego State would NEVER happen at a HBCU...

"Students at a San Diego university were offered discount prices on cocaine via mass text-messaging as part of a brazen campus-wide drug-dealing operation, according to American anti-drugs agents.

The claim was made after the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) arrested 75 students at San Diego State University and shut down six fraternities - prestigious social organisations typically named with Greek letters.

Suspects include a student who was about to receive a criminal justice degree and another about to get a masters in homeland security.

For the parents of college students, the most shocking allegation by the DEA is that some San Diego frat houses, which provide accommodation for fraternity members as well as host social functions, may have been using profits from drug dealing to finance their own operations."



San Diego student cocaine ring smashed - Times Online
WOW.Just WOW.I can't even say anything..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top