U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2010, 07:14 AM

97 posts, read 199,446 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Does anyone know of any private Christian schools in our (Atlanta) area that have cutoff dates AFTER Sept. 1?

It used to be that 1 of the great things about private schools is that they didn't have that arbitrary cutoff date but I am finding that most of them are conforming to pubilc schools now.

I have 1 daughter who has little hope anywhere because she is a Dec. 20 baby. :-))

However, the 2nd child is early October. I cannot imagine making her repeat pre-K just because her birthday is off by a month. Seems ridiculous to me.

Help!

BTW, I'm in the Southwest area, near the airport. And I would not consider a Pace, Woodward, etc. I just refuse to pay that much money for elementary school!

THANK YOU.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 3,972 times
Hi Vilas,

You may want to try Jackson-Wesley Academy (jwcacademy.org). Its South of the Airport (about 15min).

Old 07-17-2010, 09:51 PM

115 posts, read 368,099 times
Look for a school with a "young fives" program. And I would rethink whether or not you want your daughter "ahead." Wiht a December birthday, she would be much younger than her classmates. My child's birthday is in March and she has been second youngest in her class at two different schools.

Old 07-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Hi yankeegirl... I personally think that children can do just fine being the youngest. I've seen in work for lots of people and I was a February baby who started school early and then was skipped later on. I just am not sure if she will be challenged enough as she moves through school.

Right now, the children are at a more academic preschool; they are going to be learning manuscript writing this year in the 3-year-old room. Well, my oldest has already taught herself how to write most of the letters already. So, this whole year is almost going to be useless. She's already reading, too. I just want her to not be bored like I got bored in school and start acting up.

My 2nd is an October baby and I can't stand the idea of having her repeat pre-K just for missing the cutoff by a month.

Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM

436 posts, read 453,976 times
My son is a November baby and Ive been trying to find a school for him too. I'm an October baby and started school early, but I went to a private school.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 PM

876 posts, read 1,883,107 times
I would check out some private church schools on the southside by visiting Greatschools.net - This website does not list every single private school, but it covers most of them. You can select private schools by cities or zipcodes. Since we cannot advertize, I sent you a direct message about a private church school I know a lot about that is somewhat near you.

The very expensive ones like Woodward, have cut off dates anyway to apply to like in February or March and are extremely selective. I'm in the same boat that we could not even afford the expensive schools, but I think you have a few choices with smaller schools in the Southern Crescent area.

If I could have, I would have homeschooled for some of the early years, but I was unable to leave my job to do this, so I was very fortunate to find a small church school that fit our needs.

Old 07-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Hey SW30303... Got your message . THANKS for the info.

I do have friends who say it's Woodward or nothing (or schools like Woodward). I just can't grasp the idea of paying $20K per year for a kindergartner... with it only getting more expensive after that. So we are looking at smaller private schools.

Our kids could stay where they are - there is an Academy part that goes to 5th grade. Just want to consider all the options, though.

I don't know what's with this "new thing" of keeping children out of school an extra year, making a lot of them 6 years old entering K. Seems to be the new wave but I'm not riding it. :-)

Thought about homeschooling, too. OR, I just learned about an online charter school. Your child could actually have a teacher responsible for teaching the curriculum; the materials are shipped to your house and it's all FREE but with no pressure on you as the parent to be the teacher. Considered that for a while, too.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,648 times
Look at St Benedicts Church Day School in Smyrna..They do bend the cutoffs for kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or