U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-21-2010, 07:19 PM
 
1,588 posts, read 2,423,287 times
Reputation: 1389

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Don't know if you've been following our discussions of this topic in other threads, but it has got nothing to do with what people actually care about on a conscious level. It's about the needs of a region. It's about a region needing a center, a capital, because it's just in the nature of these things.

But in any case, just on a simple factual level your statement about "nobody in Nashville" caring about Atlanta is flat wrong. I can guarantee you that there is one thing and one thing in particular that is front and center in the mind of ANY person in Nashville who's interested in the future of that city, its growth, status, etc., and that is A-T-L-A-N-T-A. What's Atlanta doing? Where will such and such put us in our quest to be the next Atlanta, not be the next Atlanta, outdo Atlanta, out-Atlanta Atlanta, and so forth. It doesn't even matter what. It's the fact that Atlanta is a point of reference for all up-and-coming cities in this region. And of course I'm certain the same can certainly be said about Charlotte, too.
As someone who lived in Nashville for 20 years, I can safely say that the only reason why Atlanta might be on the minds of people there as far as growth is concerned is what to NOT let Nashville turn into. People there tend to view Atlanta as a traffic choked, sprawling nightmare. They don't mind visiting every now and then but I'd say 90% or so of everyone reacted with the "I could never live there and deal with all of that mess on a daily basis." response when I told them where I was moving to. Nashville also equally looks at Chicago too for growth examples because although Chicago is a longer drive, it's an easier drive than to Atlanta (just a straight shot up i65).

Here's an old article but it kind of represents the overall atitude of middle Tennessee towards the Metropolitan Atlanta region.
Georgia boom county offers cautionary tale | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Now after living here for a few years I can say that the taffic is exagerrated and sprawl is no worse than a lot of other cities similar in size but shaking that image is going to take time and effort. Every city has its bad image to shake. New York: dirty and rude, Chicago: corrupt, Atlanta: sprawled


I can't speak for Charlotte's attitude toward our city though as I've never even visited Charlotte.

Last edited by Adric; 05-21-2010 at 07:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-21-2010, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,524,175 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
I hate to break it to you Atlantans, but when the top 10 major intersections and roads have broken crosswalk lights and the sidewalks haven't been repaired in 75 years, then you have a problem. You'd think a city with the most traveled airport could afford a light bulb. How many Atlantans does it take to screw on a lightbulb?

EDIT: And if you don't live IN TOWN, then you shouldn't be posting on this thread. Because YOU are happy living your suburban life with your SUV's and drive 1.5 hours everyday commute, so YOU have no valid/sound argument to make here, because YOU don't care!! Obviously! Many people in Atlanta do care, I give you all credit for the beltline and such, however, that's 20 years away. Not everybody likes waiting 20 years on a construction site.
Delta is ready when you are and operators are standing by to take your reservation. If you hate the place so much, why don't you vote with your feet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 07:39 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,911 posts, read 9,598,045 times
Reputation: 5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
As someone who lived in Nashville for 20 years, I can safely say that the only reason why Atlanta might be on the minds of people there as far as growth is concerned is what to NOT let Nashville turn into. People there tend to view Atlanta as a traffic choked, sprawling nightmare. They don't mind visiting every now and then but I'd say 90% or so of everyone reacted with the "I could never live there and deal with all of that mess on a daily basis." response when I told them where I was moving to. Nashville also equally looks at Chicago too for growth examples because although Chicago is a longer drive, it's an easier drive than to Atlanta (just a straight shot up i65).

Here's an old article but it kind of represents the overall atitude of middle Tennessee towards the Metropolitan Atlanta region.
Georgia boom county offers cautionary tale | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Now after living here for a few years I can say that the taffic is exagerrated and sprawl is no worse than a lot of other cities similar in size but shaking that image is going to take time and effort. Every city has its bad image to shake. New York: dirty and rude, Chicago: corrupt, Atlanta: sprawled


I can't speak for Charlotte's attitude toward our city though as I've never even visited Charlotte.
I might put some credence to your argument until you mention an "easier drive" to Chicago. So what is easier about a 468 mile drive which includes having to navigate two rather large metro areas (Louisville and Indianapolis) compared to a 248 mile drive where you (God help us) have to change an Interstate (from 24 to 75) and go thru one rather small metro area en route (Chattanooga).

Nashville is a very nice town. And I emphasize the word TOWN. When mentioned in the same breath with Atlanta, it is not in the ballpark.

I am sure there are some lessons from Atlanta to be learned. There are some lessons one can learn from Nashville too, like maybe not building a good portion of your city in a flood plain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 07:52 PM
 
1,588 posts, read 2,423,287 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I might put some credence to your argument until you mention an "easier drive" to Chicago. So what is easier about a 468 mile drive which includes having to navigate two rather large metro areas (Louisville and Indianapolis) compared to a 248 mile drive where you, God help us, have to change an Interstate from 24 to 75 and go thru one rather small metro area en route (Chattanooga).

Nashville is a very nice town. And I emphasize the word TOWN. When mentioned in the same breath with Atlanta, it is not in the ballpark.

I am sure there are some lessons from Atlanta to be learned. There are some lessons one can learn from Nashville too, like maybe not building a good portion of your city in a flood plain.
Wow low blow there. Dont you mean "build a TOWN on a flood plain"? Bet you don't know that that flood was called the 500 year flood because the odds of that happening again in a full year are 1 in 500. Oh and wasn't Atlanta flooded just over a year ago?



And Chicago is an easier drive. It's one interstate and it's flat. I've driven both a number of times. Both Louisville and Indianapolis are painless to drive through. I don't make the reasons why Nashville also looks at Chicago. I just tell you why.

P.S. I might have given credence to your argument until you described Louisville as a "rather large metro" while relegating Nashville to town status.

Metro Louisville population: 1,244,696
Metro Nashville population: 1,666,566

Last edited by Adric; 05-21-2010 at 08:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 11,774,292 times
Reputation: 2774
^In all fairness Adric, ours was also a several hundred year flood.

Both were terrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-21-2010, 08:34 PM
 
1,588 posts, read 2,423,287 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^In all fairness Adric, ours was also a several hundred year flood.

Both were terrible.
Yeah they really were. Seems like the southeast has been getting hit with extreme weather in recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 05:34 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
625 posts, read 911,776 times
Reputation: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Delta is ready when you are and operators are standing by to take your reservation. If you hate the place so much, why don't you vote with your feet?
You're not going to get off that easily, pal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 07:37 AM
 
7 posts, read 10,859 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
NOBODY CARES what the "capital of the south" is. Only Atlantans do. Nobody in nashville, etc etc. even has Atlanta anywhere on their mindset.

Chicago will always be the biggest city in the midwest, but NOBODY CARES. A LOT of people prefer Minneapolis.
I must agree here. Folks in Chicago, in general, don't know much of Atlanta. And why would they? It's another big town like like Houston or Kansas city. Were the winter not brutal, chicago is a terrifc "city". As I have been saying, Atlanta is not a good city, but a good metro area.

In all honesty, the last person from Chicago I met reamrked he knew Atlanta as a Child prostituion capital. That's what he had heard about the town, right wrong or indifferent. I was taken aback, but not really shocked.

Last edited by Sklerty34; 05-22-2010 at 07:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
20,946 posts, read 32,935,593 times
Reputation: 12603
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
I must agree here. Folks in Chicago, in general, don't know much of Atlanta. And why would they? It's another big town like like Houston or Kansas city. Were the winter not brutal, chicago is a terrifc "city". As I have been saying, Atlanta is not a good city, but a good metro area.

In all honesty, the last person from Chicago I met reamrked he knew Atlanta as a Child prostituion capital. That's what he had heard about the town, right wrong or indifferent. I was taken aback, but not really shocked.
Atlanta like Kansas City? Right.
I continue to be amused by the number of posters that continue to weigh in on a subject that they (admittedly) know nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,844 posts, read 14,524,175 times
Reputation: 3484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
In all honesty, the last person from Chicago I met reamrked he knew Atlanta as a Child prostituion capital.
Hmmm...interesting observation. The last person I spoke to about Chicago remarked it was a corrupt town full of gangsters where people all speak like they have nose plugs on.

See what gross generalizations can do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top