U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-22-2010, 09:18 AM
 
Location: West Midtown Atlanta
364 posts, read 615,292 times
Reputation: 158

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
I must agree here. Folks in Chicago, in general, don't know much of Atlanta. And why would they? It's another big town like like Houston or Kansas city. Were the winter not brutal, chicago is a terrifc "city". As I have been saying, Atlanta is not a good city, but a good metro area.

In all honesty, the last person from Chicago I met reamrked he knew Atlanta as a Child prostituion capital. That's what he had heard about the town, right wrong or indifferent. I was taken aback, but not really shocked.
You're hilarious. rofl @ child prositution capitol. I would think something like that would only be known by someone who is familiar with and particiaptes in that sort of thing. Not to mention that you really just made a broad assumption about something you have no clue about. Thats like me saying that Chicago is the land of gang wars and weekends where 15-20 people get killed and no one even bats at an eye at it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2010, 11:27 AM
 
7 posts, read 10,864 times
Reputation: 16
I'm not sure where this person heard this. However I've seen local news stories about this issue, so your assumption one must engage on that actvity to know is fallacy. It also helps make my other point about how some Atlantans are not able to see what is in front of their face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 11,785,705 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
I'm not sure where this person heard this. However I've seen local news stories about this issue, so your assumption one must engage on that actvity to know is fallacy. It also helps make my other point about how some Atlantans are not able to see what is in front of their face.
And that works both ways, as you have proven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 12:09 PM
 
2,564 posts, read 3,593,301 times
Reputation: 2950
Yep, Atlanta does have a problem with child prostitution.

A horrible achievement | Atlanta | News & Views | Fishwrapper

CNN.com - Anderson Cooper 360° Blog

Atlanta still a hub for child prostitution *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,917 posts, read 9,612,156 times
Reputation: 5331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Wow low blow there. Dont you mean "build a TOWN on a flood plain"? Bet you don't know that that flood was called the 500 year flood because the odds of that happening again in a full year are 1 in 500. Oh and wasn't Atlanta flooded just over a year ago?



And Chicago is an easier drive. It's one interstate and it's flat. I've driven both a number of times. Both Louisville and Indianapolis are painless to drive through. I don't make the reasons why Nashville also looks at Chicago. I just tell you why.

P.S. I might have given credence to your argument until you described Louisville as a "rather large metro" while relegating Nashville to town status.

Metro Louisville population: 1,244,696
Metro Nashville population: 1,666,566
Yeah, I'm sure that was a low blow, just the tone of your post caught me wrong. I have family and friends in Nashville and I hurt for those affected by the floods. Just this city comparison thing like Nashville is doing everything right and Atlanta did everything wrong took me aback.

Using a line like "I can safely say that the only reason why Atlanta might be on the minds of people" is exaggerative and clouds your points, for which most are good points. Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. Should have ignored it. The people I know there recognize Atlanta's role as the defacto capital of the region and don't see it as some horrible beast.

I read the linked article and while it focused on Forsyth and its explosive growth which puts it in the top five in the country, the article was more a comparison of similarities between the two cities than a "Atlanta has done it all wrong and we are doing it right." The article mentions explosive growth in Williamson County (where I have family) which is more on par with other counties around Atlanta that aren't growing at Forsyth's rate (Cherokee would be a better comparison to Williamson).

But it was your comment about the drive to Chicago that got me to hit the reply button. I wasn't comparing Louisville to Nashville, but to Chattanooga. A drive from Nashville to Chicago takes you thru two metro areas well over a million while the drive to Atlanta in half the time takes you thru a metro area around the half million mark. Flat? So? Interstates are built even through hilly areas to make a drive easy. Is it that difficult to climb the Cumberland ridge at Monteagle or to climb the ridges around Chattanooga? Makes for a much more scenic drive.

OK, truce called. Will climb back in my hole now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 01:04 PM
 
4,228 posts, read 4,128,999 times
Reputation: 3191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
I must agree here. Folks in Chicago, in general, don't know much of Atlanta. And why would they? It's another big town like like Houston or Kansas city. Were the winter not brutal, chicago is a terrifc "city". As I have been saying, Atlanta is not a good city, but a good metro area.

In all honesty, the last person from Chicago I met reamrked he knew Atlanta as a Child prostituion capital. That's what he had heard about the town, right wrong or indifferent. I was taken aback, but not really shocked.
You know what's funny? I'm from Chicago and I think very differently then that of your comment.. I mean wow. Seriously do really want to talk about reputations of cities, when CNN talk about kids dropping out why is half the time the stories is about a Chicago kid. ) But one thing I really donít get about this sight is whatís the point of talking down on another city. I think it says more about these posters and less about the city their bashing because itís not that serious, itĎs not.

So with saying that how come all the nay sayer aren't posting on the below thread. Oh! that's right! cause Itís something positive.

Beltline
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 01:24 PM
 
1,595 posts, read 2,427,565 times
Reputation: 1391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Yeah, I'm sure that was a low blow, just the tone of your post caught me wrong. I have family and friends in Nashville and I hurt for those affected by the floods. Just this city comparison thing like Nashville is doing everything right and Atlanta did everything wrong took me aback.

Using a line like "I can safely say that the only reason why Atlanta might be on the minds of people" is exaggerative and clouds your points, for which most are good points. Just a pet peeve of mine I guess. Should have ignored it. The people I know there recognize Atlanta's role as the defacto capital of the region and don't see it as some horrible beast.

I read the linked article and while it focused on Forsyth and its explosive growth which puts it in the top five in the country, the article was more a comparison of similarities between the two cities than a "Atlanta has done it all wrong and we are doing it right." The article mentions explosive growth in Williamson County (where I have family) which is more on par with other counties around Atlanta that aren't growing at Forsyth's rate (Cherokee would be a better comparison to Williamson).

But it was your comment about the drive to Chicago that got me to hit the reply button. I wasn't comparing Louisville to Nashville, but to Chattanooga. A drive from Nashville to Chicago takes you thru two metro areas well over a million while the drive to Atlanta in half the time takes you thru a metro area around the half million mark. Flat? So? Interstates are built even through hilly areas to make a drive easy. Is it that difficult to climb the Cumberland ridge at Monteagle or to climb the ridges around Chattanooga? Makes for a much more scenic drive.

OK, truce called. Will climb back in my hole now.
Fair enough. No harm done. The whole "which drive is easier" thing was beside the point anyway.

No Nashville hasn't done everything right. Not by a long shot. Namely in the public transit arena. The Nashville MTA is a joke for a city that size and Nashville too has sprawled pretty bad. I was just simply trying to point out that -in my experience- the southeast does not look at Atlanta as the golden beacon of pride and Atlanta is not the center of the universe for the surrounding cities in our neighboring states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 02:24 PM
 
719 posts, read 1,447,851 times
Reputation: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
I was just simply trying to point out that -in my experience- the southeast does not look at Atlanta as the golden beacon of pride and Atlanta is not the center of the universe for the surrounding cities in our neighboring states.
Have to disagree. Again, it has nothing to do with whether people consciously view Atlanta as a "center of the universe" or "golden beacon". Atlanta is further down a road that all aspiring cities in the Southeast region must, whether they like it or not, travel. Therefore, and again regardless of whether they like it or not, indeed regardless of whether they even view Atlanta in a positive light or not, they still have to take their bearings by Atlanta. That's just a fact - and has nothing to do with subjective opinions, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Atlanta and St Simons Island, GA
21,019 posts, read 33,000,982 times
Reputation: 12679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
I'm not sure where this person heard this. However I've seen local news stories about this issue, so your assumption one must engage on that actvity to know is fallacy. It also helps make my other point about how some Atlantans are not able to see what is in front of their face.
Contraire. We are able to, because we live here. You don't. Do you really think you've made some sort of point? To date, you've yet to make a proper complete sentence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2010, 05:30 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,830,870 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Yep, Atlanta does have a problem with child prostitution.
...as do most other large cities. Atlanta is a major city with major city problems - it would be strange if negatives like crime, prostitution, drugs, traffic, scams, etc. weren't a part of life here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top