U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-22-2010, 05:42 PM

7 posts, read 10,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Contraire. We are able to, because we live here. You don't. Do you really think you've made some sort of point? To date, you've yet to make a proper complete sentence.

In respect to posts like these, perhaps it's not an inability to see city problems, but something much worse- an acceptance of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2010, 06:32 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,836,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
In respect to posts like these, perhaps it's not an inability to see city problems, but something much worse- an acceptance of them.
I would say that in your case, it's more of an inability to see progress and/or a reliance on stereotypes of Atlanta.

Old 05-22-2010, 07:06 PM

110 posts, read 266,151 times
I think the big problem in Atlanta is that we don't do anything to fix all the major problems we have here, and there are many. Other cities are much more proactive at fixing transportation issues while Atlanta does nothing. The big issue for me is the homeless issue. I work downtown and downtown Atlanta is the biggest cesspool on earth. What bothers me is the city seems to be unwilling to do anything about the homeless issue. Like everything else, they'd rather just throw cops at the situation. That's Atlanta's response to every problem here. Let's throw cops at the situation. I'm sick of this area being a police state. I'm sick of all the nasty and aggressive cops. I never hated cops until I moved down here. I don't like being treated like a potential criminal wherever I go, even the Barnes and Noble. Other cities are much more proactive at dealing with homeless issues, but Atlanta takes a typical conservative view. Don't expect government to help you out, you gotta pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Everyone's out for themselves, no one gives a damn about each other. This city and region will never realize its potential as long as their only solution to every problem is to throw cops out there.

Old 05-22-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
I think the big problem in Atlanta is that we don't do anything to fix all the major problems we have here, and there are many. Other cities are much more proactive at fixing transportation issues while Atlanta does nothing. The big issue for me is the homeless issue. I work downtown and downtown Atlanta is the biggest cesspool on earth. What bothers me is the city seems to be unwilling to do anything about the homeless issue. Like everything else, they'd rather just throw cops at the situation. That's Atlanta's response to every problem here. Let's throw cops at the situation. I'm sick of this area being a police state. I'm sick of all the nasty and aggressive cops. I never hated cops until I moved down here. I don't like being treated like a potential criminal wherever I go, even the Barnes and Noble. Other cities are much more proactive at dealing with homeless issues, but Atlanta takes a typical conservative view. Don't expect government to help you out, you gotta pull yourself up by your bootstraps. Everyone's out for themselves, no one gives a damn about each other. This city and region will never realize its potential as long as their only solution to every problem is to throw cops out there.
Often there is much more going on behind the scenes that an average citizen can't see. I can guarantee you that there things in the works for many of Atlanta's problems that we have no idea about. If you are very involved in the city's issues and part of the solution then I applaud you, but usually these kinds of complaints come from people that expect a lot of solutions but don't lift a finger to be part of them.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:36 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,594,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Often there is much more going on behind the scenes that an average citizen can't see. I can guarantee you that there things in the works for many of Atlanta's problems that we have no idea about. If you are very involved in the city's issues and part of the solution then I applaud you, but usually these kinds of complaints come from people that expect a lot of solutions but don't lift a finger to be part of them.
That's a lot of the problem right there. I believe the last time this city had one of these great ideas we had "no idea about" it was the ParkAtlanta deal. That's turned out wonderful hasn't it? We need a city council with some common sense and citizens need to start raising hell to make sure they do the job we elected them to do.

The panhandling issue has been around for years, in both good and bad economies, and there's no sign of it going away. I've never been harassed for change in any city I've visited and it's downright embrassing when I have to almost shoulder check a bum in front of friends visiting from out of town. These people make their way into businesses and restuarants. There's no escaping them downtown. This city simply must do a better job of tackling this HUGE problem. I'm not being heartless, I'm being real. Atlanta cops are so misused. Directing stadium traffic instead of patroling the streets, for example. I really don't think there are enough cops downtown.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:21 AM

128 posts, read 159,933 times
^^^^Are yall really on here arguing about all of this silliness? lol yall are funny.

And as much as I love Atlanta, (have loved it since 1995), Atl does have a huge problem with childhood male pimping going on. For example, me and my manager were to attend a music industry related function at Club Apache on 3rd st NW in midtown, not far from ECL hospital. Well, my manager not being familiar with all the one way streets, made a turn down Cypress St. NW and my my my....what I saw....

We happened to pull up on a "date" in progress. A young afro-amer. boy, no older than say 13-14 just popped out this black lexus, taking a substantial amount of cash from some older black dude, pants ALL down around his ankles, privates all out and about. He took off running, and the lexus sped off. We turned on Peachtree St. with a look of disgust on both our faces....tryin to figure out if what we just saw was what we thought it was......a trick gettin turned. Also, just ride down Old Stuart Av SW and you are liable to get bombarded with young female prostitutes all over the street.

It really is a shame that Atl is such a market for this. Alot of young teens that run away seem to make it down here and get into the sex game. And atl is no better, it being a city with 3 major interstates, 6 us routes, the world busiest airport, and a media/business/convention town. Sad.

Oh, and the writer of that article is a douchebag. Pay him no mind. Atl rules baby!!! yeaaahhh!!!!

Old 05-23-2010, 03:06 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Fair enough. No harm done. The whole "which drive is easier" thing was beside the point anyway.

No Nashville hasn't done everything right. Not by a long shot. Namely in the public transit arena. The Nashville MTA is a joke for a city that size and Nashville too has sprawled pretty bad. I was just simply trying to point out that -in my experience- the southeast does not look at Atlanta as the golden beacon of pride and Atlanta is not the center of the universe for the surrounding cities in our neighboring states.
If that were true then why is it that the majority of people that move to a Atlanta as the number ! destination in the Southeast?Why have there been anywhere from 3 to 10 counties(from metro Atlanta) in the top 50 fastest growing counties in the U.S. over the last 20 years?Where are those people coming from.Why did not Nashville,Miami,or Charlotte get the Olympics?

Old 05-23-2010, 03:11 AM

9,086 posts, read 12,887,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
That's a lot of the problem right there. I believe the last time this city had one of these great ideas we had "no idea about" it was the ParkAtlanta deal. That's turned out wonderful hasn't it? We need a city council with some common sense and citizens need to start raising hell to make sure they do the job we elected them to do.

The panhandling issue has been around for years, in both good and bad economies, and there's no sign of it going away. I've never been harassed for change in any city I've visited and it's downright embrassing when I have to almost shoulder check a bum in front of friends visiting from out of town. These people make their way into businesses and restuarants. There's no escaping them downtown. This city simply must do a better job of tackling this HUGE problem. I'm not being heartless, I'm being real. Atlanta cops are so misused. Directing stadium traffic instead of patroling the streets, for example. I really don't think there are enough cops downtown.
Quote:
I've never been harassed for change in any city I've visited
You cannot be serious.No other city?San Francisico,Seattle,Miami(not South Beach),Detroit?Philly?Yeh right.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:12 AM

2,564 posts, read 3,594,926 times
I am serious.

Old 05-23-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

Well, if you have such an issue with something in your city then I would suggest doing something about it. But there is still the fact that most of us have no idea what all the city is doing to make our quality of life better.

Some people just like to complain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or