U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 08:47 AM

213 posts, read 363,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
I beg to differ. The Piedmont Triad is quite a nice area and Southpoint Mall is killing Perimeter Mall....

BUT.....

The crime is off the chains in Durham. My cousin lives on the Northside of Durham, off Roxboro rd., and if I get ONE more call about someone gettin shot at the mall behind some bloods and crips mess......

Southpoint mall wish it had the stores that Perimeter has.. Let me know when bloomies Betsey johnson Michael Kors True relegion stuart wietzman come to southpoint. I you choose Perimeter Mall lol why not Lenox or Phipps?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:20 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,870,357 times
Quote:
I beg to differ. The Piedmont Triad is quite a nice area and Southpoint Mall is killing Perimeter Mall....

BUT.....

The crime is off the chains in Durham. My cousin lives on the Northside of Durham, off Roxboro rd., and if I get ONE more call about someone gettin shot at the mall behind some bloods and crips mess......
I didn't say any of those cities weren't great places to live...on the contrary, I actually said that Durham and Raleigh are very nice cities (the Triad was never mentioned). But you surely you don't disagree that Atlanta is a more exciting city? It's at least 4X the size of any NC city with at least 4X the amount of things to see and do. That doesn't take away from the great NC cities, but it's really just common sense.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 05-26-2010 at 09:41 AM..

Old 05-26-2010, 09:37 AM

12,981 posts, read 21,111,039 times
Quote:
...and Southpoint Mall is killing Perimeter Mall...

No.

Perimeter Mall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Streets at Southpoint - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-26-2010, 05:52 PM

9,086 posts, read 12,916,626 times
Quote:

BUT.....

You crazy!How is Southpoint Mall "killing" Perimeter Mall?Its a little bigger but the stores are not of a higher calibre than those at Perimeter.

Old 05-26-2010, 06:12 PM

12,981 posts, read 21,111,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
You crazy!How is Southpoint Mall "killing" Perimeter Mall?Its a little bigger but the stores are not of a higher calibre than those at Perimeter.
Actually, not only does Perimeter have higher calibre stores, but it's bigger as well--

Total retail floor area:

Perimeter Mall: 1.56 million

Southpoint Mall: 1.3 million

Old 05-26-2010, 06:23 PM

16,248 posts, read 20,692,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Hmm..not that I give much heed to all these city rankings, but I thought the timing of this one was apropo for the conversation: "Portfolio.com: Atlanta 11th best for quality of life (Raleigh is #1) http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2010/05/24/daily16. (broken link)

"A combination of several factors pushed Raleigh, N.C., to the top of the list:
  • No major market is expanding as rapidly as Raleigh, whose metropolitan population has increased by 37 percent since 2000.
  • More than half of all houses in the Raleigh area have been built since 1990. Las Vegas is the only other market above 50 percent.
  • Forty-four percent of Raleighís workers hold management or professional positions, surpassing all but three markets.
  • Raleigh, at 41 percent, ranks sixth in the share of adults holding bachelorís degrees"

You have to be kidding. I wonder what they think is "quality of life". If getting up and going to work and then coming home and going to sleep is "quality of life" maybe Raleigh is their kinda place. There is certainly nothing else to do there.
As for the numbers of new houses, that can be skewed by old people who are retired and moving in. Old people might like Raleigh because it is so deadly "quiet". I notice they said Las Vegas is 1st and I can tell you much of that is skewed by huge 55+ communities in Sun City and Summerlin there. Might be the same in Raleigh. At least in Vegas there are things to do after 7 PM.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:08 AM

9,223 posts, read 13,505,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Ok Atlanta is the 2nd densest metro is the southeast so saying something about neighboring cities catching up, because of Atlanta sprawl is just hilarious. Than Atlanta still is growing faster than all it’s southeast neighbors during a slower growing period. What is even the premise of this article? what do you actually lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville? LMAO Well Charlotte, and Nashville does sprawl more, their less congested because Atlanta is almost bigger than both of those Metros combine and double. It like saying what do you actually lose by moving to St Louis and Milwaukee when taking about Chicago?…. A lot! And coincidentally Chicago has more traffic issues than St Louis and Milwaukee I wounder why.

And here the icing on the cake. The article said Atlanta was growing at a par rate with Indianapolis and Columbus?

www.city-data.com/forum/city-vs-city/930136-fastest-growing-metro-areas-2009-official.html

Atlanta was the 6th largest gainer with 89,627 in 2009 this is consider slow for Atlanta, so ATL slowes down to still be faster growing than most metros. can say you pessimistic acticle.

Charlotte was 17th 39,055
Nashville was 25th 25,896

Indianapolis and Columbus are not even in top 25 what on earth is he or she was even talking about?
He's talking about growth rates not growth in raw numbers, which is what you posted. He's right on the growth rates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Is It Game Over for Atlanta? | Newgeography.com

"With growth slowing, a lack of infrastructure investment catching up with it, and rising competition in the neighborhood, the Capital of the New South is looking vulnerable

Bad traffic congestion and other infrastructure ills didn't matter much when Atlanta was the only game in town. For a long time, anyone who needed a presence in the Southeast found Atlanta the easy default answer. In many cases it was the only real possibility.
That's no longer true. Atlanta is now surrounded by upstart, much faster growing cities such as Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham in North Carolina, Nashville, Tennessee and Charleston, South Carolina – all in many ways now have the ambitions once characteristic of Atlanta.

Atlanta's problem lies in its insufficient differentiation from these other places. Other than the airport, a clear major asset to Atlanta, what do you actually lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville? Your commute is likely to be less. Except for certain groups – African Americans or gays – the city seems to be losing allure.

Atlanta is left as a sort of “quarter way house” caught between its traditional sprawling self and a more upscale urban metropolis. It offers neither the low traffic quality of life of its upstart competition, nor the sophisticated urban living of a Chicago or Boston."

Overly pessimistic, or somewhat observant?
Did you read the article? The author doesn't even think it's game over for Atlanta. In his last paragraph:

Atlanta is far from dead, but it may be facing the beginning of the end of its growth cycle. If so, this will be the true test and measure of the greatness of that city. Will Atlanta make the grade? And how?

And he makes some good points in the article. Specifically about Atlanta's freeway/highway/road system. That needs to be fixed. And Atlanta has slowed in growth as the decade went on, but that can be a great thing. Give the metro area more opportunity to fix up the infrastructure.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:36 AM

4,253 posts, read 4,154,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
He's talking about growth rates not growth in raw numbers, which is what you posted. He's right on the growth rates.

Did you read the article? The author doesn't even think it's game over for Atlanta. In his last paragraph:

Atlanta is far from dead, but it may be facing the beginning of the end of its growth cycle. If so, this will be the true test and measure of the greatness of that city. Will Atlanta make the grade? And how?

And he makes some good points in the article. Specifically about Atlanta's freeway/highway/road system. That needs to be fixed. And Atlanta has slowed in growth as the decade went on, but that can be a great thing. Give the metro area more opportunity to fix up the infrastructure.
It trips me out how Texans comes to the Atlanta fourms and no he dosen't makes sense. One Atlanta was still top ten by raw numbers, he didn't mention this at all, but the growth rate is about the same as Columbus "misleading vividness" Atlanta is over 3 times size of Columbus.

And the growth rate lower because the recession "DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS GROWTH RATE IS GOING TO CONTINUE IN ATLANTA AFTER THE RECESSION? ATL was literally 2nd before the recession." The drop wasn't because of a infrastructure problems ) if that was the case than Dallas and Houston would be going just as bad.

Then he started saying all this stuff about, what can you lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville over Atlanta? ) A lot that's like saying what can you lose by moving to St Louis over Chicago or what can you lose by moving to Austin over Houston? Then he start saying this stuff about Charlotte is going replace Atlanta LAMO the article is just throw.

He didnít state anything about Atlanta to which another southeast city is going threw as far job rate nor has he stated anything uniquely bad about Atlanta infrastructure from other sunbelt cities. He made NO good points thus it looks like he randomly pick Atlanta out for a pessimistic article. But people have always wrote silly articles like this, And I can easily find articles that are optimisic. Interesting that you didn't quote my Nytimes betting on Atlanta post.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:01 PM

9,223 posts, read 13,505,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
It trips me out how Texans comes to the Atlanta fourms and no he dosen't makes sense. One Atlanta was still top ten by raw numbers, he didn't mention this at all, but the growth rate is about the same as Columbus "misleading vividness" Atlanta is over 3 times size of Columbus.
Yes, he does make sense. He doesn't even bash Atlanta in the article and does give Atlanta some props in there. What he wrote are honest things that Atlanta needs to improve on (and like I said, the arterial road system especially).

Quote:
And the growth rate lower because the recession "DO YOU REALLY THINK THIS GROWTH RATE IS GOING TO CONTINUE IN ATLANTA AFTER THE RECESSION? ATL was literally 2nd before the recession." The drop wasn't because of a infrastructure problems ) if that was the case than Dallas and Houston would be going just as bad.
Houston and Dallas WOULD NOT be doing just as bad. Go look at a map of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. Houston and Dallas are setup in a grid-like system (especially Houston). In Houston or DFW, you can take many roads across the entire metro area without getting on a freeway, or having to turn on another road (and again, Houston especially). Those two cities have better regional plans for their future and a lot of that is under construction now. Atlanta's roadways go pretty much any kind of way. The only straight shots are either US or Georgia State highways. Like what was presented in the article, there aren't many crosstown routes. That's one thing that always bugged me about Atlanta. Aesthetically, the roadways in Atlanta are some of the best in the nation, but they don't work efficiently.

As for the recession, some metro areas went from negative domestic migration to positive (Pittsburgh), etc. And Atlanta's migration numbers have been dropping since 2006...before the recession. And do I think the growth rate will continue in Atlanta after the recession? Yes. I think Atlanta will start gaining anywhere between 1.5% to 1.9% growth rate. I don't think we'll be seeing the 2.7%+ gains we saw this decade and last in Atlanta anymore (or at least for some time), and that's not a bad thing. Atlanta's growth then was greatly propelled by the construction and real estate/speculation bubble. Will those bubbles reemerge greatly in the US economy again? I really don't think so. We're reaching a "green bubble" now, that will definitely help out the Texas two because of the energy industry. What industry is Atlanta going to emerge as a leader in this decade? What do you believe will propel Atlanta back to what it was in the late 90s to mid-2000s?

Quote:
Then he started saying all this stuff about, what can you lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville over Atlanta? ) A lot that's like saying what can you lose by moving to St Louis over Chicago or what can you lose by moving to Austin over Houston? Then he start saying this stuff about Charlotte is going replace Atlanta LAMO the article is just throw.
That part I didn't agree with, but that doesn't mean the entire article is bad.

Quote:
He didn’t state anything about Atlanta to which another southeast city is going threw as far job rate nor has he stated anything uniquely bad about Atlanta infrastructure from other sunbelt cities. He made NO good points thus it looks like he randomly pick Atlanta out for a pessimistic article. But people have always wrote silly articles like this, And I can easily find articles that are optimisic. Interesting that you didn't quote my Nytimes betting on Atlanta post.
Since you really want me to respond to that part of your post, I will:

Quote:
Betting on Atlanta - Economix Blog - NYTimes.com

"What about Atlanta today? Surely, a city that depended so much on building should be poised for collapse. Certainly, Atlanta’s 10.1 percent unemployment rate reflects its eviscerated construction industry. Certainly, like many other places, Atlanta is in for a rough few years.

Yet there are three key reasons to think that Atlanta will weather this storm and continue to thrive."

1 "First, Atlanta benefits from the fact that it is the dominant agglomeration in the region. The continuing vitality of large cities is a remarkable feature of our age and Atlanta benefits from that fact."
It most definitely does, but let's not forget that the NC cities are getting big. Still, Atlanta is the same size as all of the major NC metro areas combined.

Quote:
2 "Atlanta also benefits from its business-friendly politics, which will continue to attract plenty of companies."
Good example is Sony Ericsson.

Quote:
3 "Finally, Atlanta also benefits from being highly skilled — something that outsiders too often forget.
But Atlanta is losing the highly skilled. The Brookings Institute came out with a report, and it showed Atlanta is losing big time with the high-end paying and mid-level paying workers. But, Atlanta is gaining in the low-skilled workers category.

Quote:
Nearly 43 percent of adults in the city of Atlanta have college degrees, as opposed to 27 percent in the nation as a whole, and 41 percent in Boston. The figure is even higher in surrounding Fulton County.
See above. I don't think the high-paying jobs number came out when the NY Times article was written a while back.

Last edited by Trae713; 05-30-2010 at 12:14 PM..

Old 05-30-2010, 02:16 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,870,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post

Houston and Dallas WOULD NOT be doing just as bad. Go look at a map of Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta. Houston and Dallas are setup in a grid-like system (especially Houston). In Houston or DFW, you can take many roads across the entire metro area without getting on a freeway, or having to turn on another road (and again, Houston especially). Those two cities have better regional plans for their future and a lot of that is under construction now. Atlanta's roadways go pretty much any kind of way. The only straight shots are either US or Georgia State highways. Like what was presented in the article, there aren't many crosstown routes. That's one thing that always bugged me about Atlanta. Aesthetically, the roadways in Atlanta are some of the best in the nation, but they don't work efficiently.
That's because Houston and Dallas don't have the hilly terrain of Atlanta - it's as simple as that...plus the fact that many of Atlanta's oldest streets follow Native American or pioneer trails that went "pretty much any kind of way". And while we're at it, many other American cities are very similar to Atlanta in this respect. It's not a "shortcoming" of Atlanta (as I know you enjoy pointing these out) but an historical, charming characteristic that Houston and Dallas just don't have.

Apparently you didn't see the grid system on the streets of Midtown and Downtown and in other areas of the city. The grids are there, but often are interrupted by a curving, meandering street like Peachtree that follows the Peachtree Ridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or