U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-31-2010, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
^--
You like to brag about MARTA, yet MARTA has been broke for the past decade and the City of Atlanta is more broke than many cities in the region.
You talk about ignorant and brainless politician as if other states and cities that you hold so high are not also going through worse than Atlanta.At least you could be FAIR.
Cities that can annex so liberty actually dilute their pool or poorer inner city residents.As I stated earlier this is a two way sword,It brings in much need revenue but it also spreads out resources over a larger area.Does not encourage "urbanity".

Atlanta overall infrastructure has something to show for it being broke.Charlotte,Houston and Dallas lag behind.
Look here and among other surveys:

2009 Mercer QOL Rankings: Honolulu & SF top US cities; Atlanta top US City for Infrastructure

MARTA is a BIG plus because there is not a lot of money out there for cities wanting to create Heavy Rail from the ground up due to the extremely high cost.Only existing systems seem to have better luck.So light rail is more of a reality for Atlanta as an addition to heavy rail.Something No other city in the South has any real plans for consideration.

You can see in Atlanta where due to the past relationship between the city and the suburbs has created problems for both to where there is now more "regional" collaboration going on more than ever.Even if its neighborhing county to county like Cobb,North Fulton, Gwinnett,Clayton,and Dekalb of the inner ring suburbs that eventually link up with city.The fact that many people are moving inside the city core is making the burbs realize that the influence of Atlanta is gaining momentum.

Other cities in the region do not really compete if they are not providing the same level of service.Operational cost are drastically higher compared to heavy rail sysytems
MTA in NYC is facing massive layoffs and budget cuts and has for several years:
Quote:
2009 budget cuts
The MTA is facing a budget deficit in 2009, a projected US$1.2 billion shortfall. The proposed new fare and service reductions will balance the city budget deficit. The MTA is also planning to eliminate student Metrocards by making students pay half of the fare in 2010, then eliminate student Metrocards completely


Houstons rail has been plagued with bribery and all kinds of allegations over a span of its entire lifetime.Tim Delay(Congressman)fought hard against it.In fact there was a lot of opposition to extend it.

SEPTA(Philly)Been on strike more times than any system in the U.S.1998,2005,2007,2009

NYC last governor got trounced out due to his illegal activities and now the current Governor also is being looked at for irregular and illegal activity.Budget deficits?How about New Jersey?What city in Georgia has had to have its police departs or even city government taken over by the State police or State Government?Illinois?Chicago?You wanna talk about racial politics?Ask what many black people will say about Mayor Daily.Ask white people what they would say about Harold Washington.Don't think we need to go there.Baltimore?D.C.?

No ma'm,I am not crazy about politics as usual in Georgia but I will take it any day over many other places.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-31-2010, 09:13 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,457,131 times
Reputation: 3545
^^Atlanta isn't the only one broke. Both Houston and Dallas are broke and both of those city's respective transit agency receive very little from the state (especially Houston).

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
How am I offensive by stating my opinions, both negative and positive?
Right. I'm pretty sure that if my location said "Atlanta" instead of "Houston", that DeaconJ and afonega1 would not be making the comments they were. But because I'm from Texas, I'm not suppose to know anything about Atlanta (because I'm obviously locked inside Texas' boundaries), and I can't comment on the city. I'm still trying to find out what did I say that was so out of bounds.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 09:23 PM
 
1,588 posts, read 2,423,777 times
Reputation: 1389
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
Nashville, for example, attracts a lot of New Yorkers over Atlanta because of quality of life issues and the problems they see in Atlanta. Nashville also has the opportunity to do things right.
Nashville actually doesn't attract that many people from NY. It attracts a lot of Californians.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 09:25 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 7,814,733 times
Reputation: 1230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Is It Game Over for Atlanta? | Newgeography.com

"With growth slowing, a lack of infrastructure investment catching up with it, and rising competition in the neighborhood, the Capital of the New South is looking vulnerable

Bad traffic congestion and other infrastructure ills didn't matter much when Atlanta was the only game in town. For a long time, anyone who needed a presence in the Southeast found Atlanta the easy default answer. In many cases it was the only real possibility.
That's no longer true. Atlanta is now surrounded by upstart, much faster growing cities such as Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham in North Carolina, Nashville, Tennessee and Charleston, South Carolina – all in many ways now have the ambitions once characteristic of Atlanta.

Atlanta's problem lies in its insufficient differentiation from these other places. Other than the airport, a clear major asset to Atlanta, what do you actually lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville? Your commute is likely to be less. Except for certain groups – African Americans or gays – the city seems to be losing allure.

Atlanta is left as a sort of “quarter way house” caught between its traditional sprawling self and a more upscale urban metropolis. It offers neither the low traffic quality of life of its upstart competition, nor the sophisticated urban living of a Chicago or Boston."

Overly pessimistic, or somewhat observant?
I found the article quite interesting. I didn't see too many sources so I would like to take this as an educated opinion, however, I don't know this guys education level.

IMO, it is unrealistic to say Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, especially Charleston, will ever reach Atlantas level. That may not happen in our lifetime, unless some dramatic growth pattern happens to one of these cities consistently for 30-40 years. But I will say that they may not need to be Atlanta's size to give Atlanta some competition.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
I hear what you're saying afonega1, but I'm not so sure Atlanta's presence would have made any difference to these other Southern metros. I think the same rising tide of growth that we've seen across most of the so-called SunBelt would have eventually benefited these towns like Nashville, Charlotte, whether Atlanta was there or not. However, the fact that Atlanta is there, does make for a convenient point of reference for these cities, either as object of admiration or whipping boy, depending on who is talking and to whom.

By the way, regarding your point about Atlanta's building MARTA and other infrastructural elements in previous eras -- which is perfectly correct in my view -- don't forget the paradoxical effect of these gains, too. Which lies in the fact that in a matter of 2-3 decades Atlanta's bold growth strategy catapulted it into the ranks of much larger and older cities, cities that in many cases had already had the "sophisticated urban living" the author speaks of for generations. So the fact that almost overnight Atlanta found that its peers were no longer cities like Nashville, Birmingham, etc., but were much larger cities, accounts in large part for the fact that Atlanta continues to appear in an unfavorable light when compared to the Torontos, Vancouvers, Bostons, etc. We too easily forget that the real story is how quickly Atlanta rose to the ranks of those cities in the first place. It was not a given.
Thanks .I had a Wal-Mart run!LOL.But that was exactly my point.Its not like Atlanta does not hae bold initiatives that have come into fruition since then.Atlanta has seen its worse period.The population decrease in the past prove that.It should be something that today Atlanta(the city) has gained all its loss and then some.That should say something in the tenacity of its citizen to make things happen when it has always unlikely.I can remember in my 30 something years how people would scoff at the very mention that Atlanta was even a major city but just a town.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I cannot wait until you are gone...
LOL.Second that.But only misery loves to keep other people miserable too.What will she have to complain about when shes gone?She'll be right back in the Atlanta forum with BACK2DC in their own little GRIPEFEST 2022.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 10:37 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 11,859,475 times
Reputation: 2698
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I found the article quite interesting. I didn't see too many sources so I would like to take this as an educated opinion, however, I don't know this guys education level.

IMO, it is unrealistic to say Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, especially Charleston, will ever reach Atlantas level. That may not happen in our lifetime, unless some dramatic growth pattern happens to one of these cities consistently for 30-40 years. But I will say that they may not need to be Atlanta's size to give Atlanta some competition.
And I think that might be the author's point. While Atlanta has more clout in just about all categories than any other Southeastern metro, it no longer dominates all of them. But I see that less as Atlanta losing its luster and more along the lines of the maturing of the Southeast as a region.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
^^Atlanta isn't the only one broke. Both Houston and Dallas are broke and both of those city's respective transit agency receive very little from the state (especially Houston).



Right. I'm pretty sure that if my location said "Atlanta" instead of "Houston", that DeaconJ and afonega1 would not be making the comments they were. But because I'm from Texas, I'm not suppose to know anything about Atlanta (because I'm obviously locked inside Texas' boundaries), and I can't comment on the city. I'm still trying to find out what did I say that was so out of bounds.
You missed my past post about me being stationed all overe Texas so your point is moot.I know plenty of what goes on in Texas.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 10:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by adavi215 View Post
I found the article quite interesting. I didn't see too many sources so I would like to take this as an educated opinion, however, I don't know this guys education level.

IMO, it is unrealistic to say Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Nashville, especially Charleston, will ever reach Atlantas level. That may not happen in our lifetime, unless some dramatic growth pattern happens to one of these cities consistently for 30-40 years. But I will say that they may not need to be Atlanta's size to give Atlanta some competition.
Now that I agree with.Very logical assertion.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2010, 10:46 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,870,310 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And I think that might be the author's point. While Atlanta has more clout in just about all categories than any other Southeastern metro, it no longer dominates all of them. But I see that less as Atlanta losing its luster and more along the lines of the maturing of the Southeast as a region.
Thats entirely understandable.What debatable is how much luster has worn off.Even that is not debatable in my opinion,otherwise Atlanta would just stop attracting people.What it means more that there Is Atlanta in the Southeast and then the others like Nashville,Charlotte, and Tampa.In other words do you go with an established leader like Atlanta(NYC of South for just comparison) or go with Charlotte-Nashville(Boston-D.C of the South).NYC will always be NYC and Atlanta will always be ATlanta.It aint going back.All the major corners have been turned.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top