U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2010, 01:10 PM
 
213 posts, read 371,134 times
Reputation: 79

Advertisements

Maybe I'm lost why is Houston and Dallad being discussed and why is it that that the same HOuston posters always end up in the Atlanta forum... This is ridiculous!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2010, 01:12 PM
 
4,433 posts, read 4,403,731 times
Reputation: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
That one large "group" center aren't the only hospitals in Houston. Still, even though Atlanta has the CDC, I'd say more research is done in Houston. There are more medical schools/colleges in Houston, too: List of Texas Medical Center institutions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As far as giving credit goes, it's like you don't want to give credit, because you don't want to be seen as "boasting" about Houston or Dallas. I'd say Atlanta leads in non-profits, logistics, and government. Dallas leads in retail and telecommunications/IT. Houston leads in energy, aerospace, and the medical industry. But really, none of this has anything to do with the article.
I know what TMC is, I even post that link as well as the official site link on another thread defending Houston. I said Houston beat Atlanta in medical but Not by much. Atlanta is a major medical reasarch center. This is a straw man because I clearly said Houston beats Atlanta in medical. but you have turn this into me saying "not by much" as not giving Houston it's credit. ) When reality your the one not giving credit where it due to Atlanta. That why I said I'm going to boast Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 01:24 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,814,302 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I know what TMC is, I even post that link as well as the official site link on another thread defending Houston. I said Houston beat Atlanta in medical but Not by much. Atlanta is a major medical reasarch center. This is a straw man because I clearly said Houston beats Atlanta in medical. but you have turn this into me saying "not by much" as not giving Houston it's credit. ) When reality your the one not giving credit where it due to Atlanta. That why I said I'm going to boast Houston.
Well, I disagree. I think Houston leads Atlanta by a lot in the medical industry. Looking at the numbers, they don't compare. Just like Atlanta leads Houston by a bunch in the retail industry. And with the "not by much" statement, that's what you and afonega1 have both said about the medical and energy industry. It's like this: if Atlanta leads Houston/Dallas in something, it's by "a lot" with you guys, but if Houston/Dallas lead Atlanta in something, it seems like its always "not by much" or just "slightly". That's why I said give credit, where credit is due. You say "not by much" because you don't want to give credit.

Edit: But like I said, this has nothing to do with the article.

Last edited by Trae713; 06-01-2010 at 01:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 13,263,665 times
Reputation: 2929
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
I know what TMC is, I even post that link as well as the official site link on another thread defending Houston. I said Houston beat Atlanta in medical but Not by much. Atlanta is a major medical reasarch center. This is a straw man because I clearly said Houston beats Atlanta in medical. but you have turn this into me saying "not by much" as not giving Houston it's credit. ) When reality your the one not giving credit where it due to Atlanta. That why I said I'm going to boast Houston.
which was why I outlined what he said and the responses to it were apprpriate.He thinks just because he gives credit he can be inaccurate on other levels.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 03:15 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,814,302 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
which was why I outlined what he said and the responses to it were apprpriate.He thinks just because he gives credit he can be inaccurate on other levels.
But you were wrong on your outlines and have provided many inaccuracies about Houston/Dallas, yet still try and pass them off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 03:16 PM
 
4,433 posts, read 4,403,731 times
Reputation: 3495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Well, I disagree. I think Houston leads Atlanta by a lot in the medical industry. Looking at the numbers, they don't compare. Just like Atlanta leads Houston by a bunch in the retail industry. And with the "not by much" statement, that's what you and afonega1 have both said about the medical and energy industry. It's like this: if Atlanta leads Houston/Dallas in something, it's by "a lot" with you guys, but if Houston/Dallas lead Atlanta in something, it seems like its always "not by much" or just "slightly". That's why I said give credit, where credit is due. You say "not by much" because you don't want to give credit.

Edit: But like I said, this has nothing to do with the article.
Raw numbers? Umm Atlanta has many top schools in medical research schools like Emory School of Medicine, Top hospitals and centers like, Grady Health System, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and etc, many medical equipment companies, biotech research is a growing industry here and as well as important government run intuition like CDC. Your not listening. When an epidemic break out they donít call Houston but Atlanta. Atlanta is a MAJOR medical center I said Houston overall beats Atlanta in medical but donít over milk the cow, your boasting. And I also said Houston dominate in Energy so stop straw manning. This also makes your comment "but if Houston/Dallas lead Atlanta in something, it seems like its always "not by much" or just "slightly"." false!, Then if I didn't want to give credit I would had never responed to afonega1 to tell him Houston edge out Atlanta in medical, in the first place. I credit Houston but you want me boast the city. Sorry your the one not giving credit to Atlanta and been doing this the whole time on this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,814,302 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Raw numbers? Umm Atlanta has many top schools in medical research schools like Emory School of Medicine, Top hospitals and centers like, Grady Health System, Children's Healthcare of Atlanta and etc, many medical equipment companies, biotech research is a growing industry here and as well as important government run intuition like CDC. Your not listening. When an epidemic break out they don’t call Houston but Atlanta. Atlanta is a MAJOR medical center I said Houston overall beats Atlanta in medical but don’t over milk the cow, your boasting. And I also said Houston dominate in Energy so stop straw manning. This also makes your comment "but if Houston/Dallas lead Atlanta in something, it seems like its always "not by much" or just "slightly"." false!, Then if I didn't want to give credit I would had never responed to afonega1 to tell him Houston edge out Atlanta in medical, in the first place. I credit Houston but you want me boast the city. Sorry your the one not giving credit to Atlanta and been doing this the whole time on this thread.
I was talking about afonega1 with the energy comment, so it's not false.

As far as the medical things go, you should go dig up the old Houston vs Atlanta threads, because a lot of that was debunked. Biotech and nanotechnology are big in Houston (nanotech is growing like weeds in Houston). Atlanta is big on research with the CDC, but the TMC has more specific areas. Go look at hospital rankings for specific cares. Houston tops Atlanta in all of them (including the Children's Hospital): Top American Hospitals Rankings - US News Best Hospitals

That is why I said Houston and Atlanta are not close in the medical industry...and this isn't to discredit Atlanta either, because it has a strong medical industry. The stronger our medical industries are, the healthier we become.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 04:26 PM
 
3 posts, read 3,404 times
Reputation: 15
I'm pessimistic on Atlantas future. The people I know who bought homes, nice ones, in the city regret it now. They are seeing taxes go up and services go down. I don't know what the long term fiscal health is of Atlanta, but other peer cities are right on the edge. The author might study that to enlighten us as to how high taxes may go. Water is already much higher in Atlanta than it's metro. If another airport ever gets built, it Really could be game over Atlanta.

Who cares about Texas, they are kicking everyones can. Atlanta is more like Philly and Detriot in terms of population and demographics. none of Texas' cities are even close and that makes a big difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 05:12 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,035,965 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
And I think that might be the author's point. While Atlanta has more clout in just about all categories than any other Southeastern metro, it no longer dominates all of them. But I see that less as Atlanta losing its luster and more along the lines of the maturing of the Southeast as a region.
I see this as the case as well. Nashville, RDU, and Charlotte are all maturing into very decent mid size cities that are at a cross roads just like Atlanta is. I seriously doubt Atlanta is losing any type of luster. It is definitely the capital of the Southeast, its just now it is starting to share the spotlightj which is a feat it is not used to doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 05:17 PM
 
4,677 posts, read 8,035,965 times
Reputation: 1236
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
I was talking about afonega1 with the energy comment, so it's not false.

As far as the medical things go, you should go dig up the old Houston vs Atlanta threads, because a lot of that was debunked. Biotech and nanotechnology are big in Houston (nanotech is growing like weeds in Houston). Atlanta is big on research with the CDC, but the TMC has more specific areas. Go look at hospital rankings for specific cares. Houston tops Atlanta in all of them (including the Children's Hospital): Top American Hospitals Rankings - US News Best Hospitals

That is why I said Houston and Atlanta are not close in the medical industry...and this isn't to discredit Atlanta either, because it has a strong medical industry. The stronger our medical industries are, the healthier we become.
CDC and TMC are two totally different animals. TMC is more of the medical field while CDC is more of the public health field. Similiar roles, duties, and responsibilities, but waaaay different approaches.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:16 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top