U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 06-01-2010, 07:02 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,346,571 times
Reputation: 486

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
which was why I outlined what he said and the responses to it were apprpriate.He thinks just because he gives credit he can be inaccurate on other levels.


What he or she wants him to say is Houston wins by a landslide. If he would have said that trust there would be no arguement.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-01-2010, 07:15 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,346,571 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc142 View Post
I'm pessimistic on Atlantas future. The people I know who bought homes, nice ones, in the city regret it now. They are seeing taxes go up and services go down. I don't know what the long term fiscal health is of Atlanta, but other peer cities are right on the edge. The author might study that to enlighten us as to how high taxes may go. Water is already much higher in Atlanta than it's metro. If another airport ever gets built, it Really could be game over Atlanta.

Who cares about Texas, they are kicking everyones can. Atlanta is more like Philly and Detriot in terms of population and demographics. none of Texas' cities are even close and that makes a big difference.

This post is a complete mess
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 07:44 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,459,046 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
What he or she wants him to say is Houston wins by a landslide. If he would have said that trust there would be no arguement.
Win in what? There are certain areas where all three cities win in a landslide over the other. It just seems like certain posters don't want to give credit to the Texas cities, but if they do, they only lead "slightly", yet if Atlanta leads in something, it's by a lot. How can you say Atlanta just has a "slightly" smaller energy industry than Dallas and Houston (what afonega1 said)? Would you like to point out and tell me what I said was so wrong? I've been respectful through all of this, but receive backlash because I'm from Texas, and am suppose to not speak about Atlanta. LOL!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 10:24 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
But you were wrong on your outlines and have provided many inaccuracies about Houston/Dallas, yet still try and pass them off.
I just got home from work.I sent that other message by phone.then I see you've been at it again.WHAT?You been WRONG MANY occasions You have not even provided links and data to hardly anything you've said.You keep talking about grids,how rail does not really matter that much becasue Houston/Dall has bigger roads and blah blah blah....
I mention how the economy is broken down in sectors.How there are sectors that Atlanta has that Houston/DAL dont even compete in.
Sectors generally are grouped together.Like for instance research can mean medical,,mechanical ,scientific etc.The fact that it is wrapped up many times that way does not neccesarily and always equate to it being ahead overall as oppose to one segment of that research.For instance;Atlanta is the 5th largest city with research expenditures over 1 billion dollars.Now would that be wrong of me to say that Atlanta is a the leader in research in the South because NONE of the other cities above Atlanta are in the South?You believe what you want since you obviously are playing yourself and nobody else.
Top Metro Areas in Higher Ed Research Expenditures
1 Boston $2.02B
2 New York $1.42B
3 Baltimore $1.13B
4 Los Angeles $1.09B
5 ATLANTA $1.01B
Source: Atlanta Regional Consortium for Higher Education, 2008
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 10:33 PM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
But you were wrong on your outlines and have provided many inaccuracies about Houston/Dallas, yet still try and pass them off.
Like where?You have provided a litany of inaccuracies.In fact you have admitted several times yourself that you were wrong about the Belt-line, 'Living Initiatives",The fact you mispoke AGAIN by talking about MARTA having no expansion plans.Those are just a few off the top of my head.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 PM
 
Location: Washington, DC
657 posts, read 1,281,160 times
Reputation: 498
I have to give kudos to Scarface for holding his own in this thread. He's polite and articulate. He backs up his statements, while giving credit where it's due to all of the cities discussed.

Most importantly, his posts lack the spelling errors and run-on sentences of his detractors. I'm not cross-eyed after reading what he wrote.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2010, 11:53 PM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,459,046 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I just got home from work.I sent that other message by phone.then I see you've been at it again.WHAT?You been WRONG MANY occasions You have not even provided links and data to hardly anything you've said.You keep talking about grids,how rail does not really matter that much becasue Houston/Dall has bigger roads and blah blah blah....
I mention how the economy is broken down in sectors.How there are sectors that Atlanta has that Houston/DAL dont even compete in.
Sectors generally are grouped together.Like for instance research can mean medical,,mechanical ,scientific etc.The fact that it is wrapped up many times that way does not neccesarily and always equate to it being ahead overall as oppose to one segment of that research.For instance;Atlanta is the 5th largest city with research expenditures over 1 billion dollars.Now would that be wrong of me to say that Atlanta is a the leader in research in the South because NONE of the other cities above Atlanta are in the South?You believe what you want since you obviously are playing yourself and nobody else.
Top Metro Areas in Higher Ed Research Expenditures
1 Boston $2.02B
2 New York $1.42B
3 Baltimore $1.13B
4 Los Angeles $1.09B
5 ATLANTA $1.01B
Source: Atlanta Regional Consortium for Higher Education, 2008
Hmm...higher education. I'm pretty sure I gave Atlanta its props in higher education. Atlanta has more universities/colleges in its metro area than Houston and Dallas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Like where?You have provided a litany of inaccuracies.In fact you have admitted several times yourself that you were wrong about the Belt-line, 'Living Initiatives",The fact you mispoke AGAIN by talking about MARTA having no expansion plans.Those are just a few off the top of my head.
Where was I wrong about the Beltline? I just didn't know when it was going to be finished. I didn't misspeak about MARTA not having expansion plans, either. Hell, I didn't even say MARTA doesn't have expansion plans the first time (upon re-reading).

As for where you wrote your many inaccuracies:

Quote:
Atlanta leads in key segments where Houston and Dallas have a very small footprints.
Dallas and Houston do not have small footprints in higher education. It may not be as high as Atlanta, but they aren't minuscule by any means.

Quote:
Houston annex swaths of land that people were not and still not in some cases are even heavilly populated.So dont act like it was great forsight other than the fact that they just could.Atlanta borders have not been increased since the late 50s.Not to mention the city(core) lost like 100,00 people over 25 years through the 1970's,1980's and much of the 1990's.

You also seem to forget that Houston overbuilt in the eighties and suffered drastically as a result.Many of those roads were in lowly populate areas that did not pan out until the mid to late 1990s to present.
The only part of your post that is correct here, is the part where you say Houston annexed areas that didn't have people on it (or very little, or a lot).

Quote:
A couple of them are owned by companies headquartered elsewhere. None of them except the energy sectors dominate in any sector.

When we speak of diversity in economy.There must be multiple sectors that are relevant to the economy of the city.If a city does not have it or too little of a sector to matter,then it makes it not as competitive in diversity;LEt me elaborate.
Atlanta dominates over DAL and HOU in these sectors:
Telecommunications-At&T Mobility,Sony Erickson
Transportation- Delta,Hartsfield-Jackson Airport
Non-Profits-C.A.R.E. International,Habitat for Humanity,Salvation Army,Points of Light,Cancer Society,Arthiritis Foundation
Higher Education-Ga Tech,AUC,Emory,GSA,UWG,Kennesaw State,etc....
Logistics-UPS,Norfolk Southern
Retail/Services-Home Depot,Coca Cola,COX Enterprises,Wendy's/Arby's International,Newell-Rubbermaid,Spectrum Brands
Government-State Capitol,CDC,Military Bases,Fed Reserve
Finance-Suntrust Bank,Fed Reserve,Invesco,I.C.E.Stock Exchange
The only thing that HOU/DAL has over ATL is Energy and maybe Construction.
What really got me here was that you said "a couple of them are owned by companies headquarted elsewhere", yet you name AT&T Mobility and Sony Erricsson. Anyway, I responded to that post with this one, and I'm going to stop there. Those are just a few examples.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 12:33 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times
Reputation: 2908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Hmm...higher education. I'm pretty sure I gave Atlanta its props in higher education. Atlanta has more universities/colleges in its metro area than Houston and Dallas.



Where was I wrong about the Beltline? I just didn't know when it was going to be finished. I didn't misspeak about MARTA not having expansion plans, either. Hell, I didn't even say MARTA doesn't have expansion plans the first time (upon re-reading).

As for where you wrote your many inaccuracies:

Dallas and Houston do not have small footprints in higher education. It may not be as high as Atlanta, but they aren't minuscule by any means.

The only part of your post that is correct here, is the part where you say Houston annexed areas that didn't have people on it (or very little, or a lot).



What really got me here was that you said "a couple of them are owned by companies headquarted elsewhere", yet you name AT&T Mobility and Sony Erricsson. Anyway, I responded to that post with this one, and I'm going to stop there. Those are just a few examples.
All that and all you did was quote me but did not show where I was wrong.You had a different opinion of what I said but yet proved not why I was wrong.As far as the companies being mentioned was NEVER about where they were head quartered but where certain technology or industries actually is developed.Like you mentioned Frito-Lay before that post.Its owned by Pepsi.But when is food products only developed in Texas and no where else.

For example At&T Mobility was always headquarted there even when it was first founded as a joint venture between SBC and BellSouth as Cingular.The industry thrived and because of that leagacy that started even before then,you now have a company like Sony-Erickson which by the way is a joint venture as well is based there U.S. presence in Atlanta.I really did not think I had to help you understand that.Apparently I gave you too much credit.

The fact that I gave you several links that supported my argument by telling where Dallas ranked 6th and Atlanta ranked 12th,but in telecomunications Atlanta ranked number 1 nation wide.You still ignored all those sources from the Milken Institue,Brookinghs,Portfolio,and Pew just to go with your own "false assertions",Funny how you like to back reference the old post without supporting links to disprove your out landish statements.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 12:56 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,872,415 times
Reputation: 2908
Trivial and sad.Personally this site is just not that serious.I have travelled all over the world.Many places I have liked more than others.One thing I can say is I have NEVER engaged in trying to dissuade anyone from moving somewhere where it is obvious that its a matter of personal taste of what each individual is looking for.To go and try and make yourself seem somehow above or better because of the choices that someone made different than that of your own is just downright cowardly,self serving,selfish, and just dishonest.Especially when supposedly you have moved on.
I lived in Clovis New Mexico.They called it the armpit of America.People asked me what I thought.I liked it.Was it my favorite place .NO.But i never felt a nefarious need to down the people of the community.Don't get me wrong.Negatives should be noted.But personal opinion over factual truths are just that.Some people on here LOVE to "dwell in the muck"

Maybe they should check themselves to find out why they have a need to make everyone else as miserable as they are.I suggest a lot of therapy.Like they say:"Can't hang?Get out the kitchen!"(and stay out!)Snobbery.pure snobbery.As if that somehow makes you look more intelligent.Good riddance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2010, 12:58 AM
 
Location: ITL (Houston)
9,223 posts, read 13,459,046 times
Reputation: 3545
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Trivial and sad.Personally this site is just not that serious.I have travelled all over the world.Many places I have liked more than others.One thing I can say is I have NEVER engaged in trying to dissuade anyone from moving somewhere where it is obvious that its a matter of personal taste of what each individual is looking for.To go and try and make yourself seem somehow above or better because of the choices that someone made different than that of your own is just downright cowardly,self serving,selfish, and just dishonest.Especially when supposedly you have moved on.
I lived in Clovis New Mexico.They called it the armpit of America.People asked me what I thought.I liked it.Was it my favorite place .NO.But i never felt a nefarious need to down the people of the community.Don't get me wrong.Negatives should be noted.But personal opinion over factual truths are just that.Some people on here LOVE to "dwell in the muck"

Maybe they should check themselves to find out why they have a need to make everyone else as miserable as they are.I suggest a lot of therapy.Snobbery.pure snobbery.Good riddance.
Wait, so when you try and point out "inaccurate" things I said, it's okay, but if I do the same with you, it's sad and the site "isn't serious"? The hypocrisy is through the roof. And I really have no idea what you mean by this:

Quote:
To go and try and make yourself seem somehow above or better because of the choices that someone made different than that of your own is just downright cowardly,self serving,selfish, and just dishonest.Especially when supposedly you have moved on.
Where are you getting this from?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top