U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 04:57 PM

4,090 posts, read 4,417,077 times

Advertisements

I really don't see any of those cities in that article being a threat to Atlanta's capitol of the south... At all. Especially not any time soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 04:57 PM

28,237 posts, read 24,838,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
People always talking about transit transit yet if it was expanded every where people would still wanna drive. Think about all the cities that are the same size as Atlanta and dont have rail transit..
True. The vast majority of people in Atlanta drive instead of using mass transit. While the cuts in public transportation will affect those who use trains and buses they probably won't have that much impact on metro Atlanta overall.

And I say that as someone who loves rail. It would be cool to have sleek trains zipping all around but I honestly don't see it as essential to the way most Atlantans live.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:32 PM

3,213 posts, read 4,527,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
I really don't see any of those cities in that article being a threat to Atlanta's capitol of the south... At all. Especially not any time soon.
It's actually somewhat the opposite for the time being. Growth in nearby cities (Birmingham, Carlotte, Nashville, etc) will fuel demand for numerous services those cities tend to purchase from Atlanta. Many corporate regional headquarters, for example, are located in Atlanta, and will need more staffing to accommodate growth in these cities. Highly specialized goods and services--think: specialized rock blasting, industrail planning and development, specialized legal services, stand up comedy, direct flights to xyz European capital, a baseball game, designer furniture, etc etc etc--are available in Atlanta at quantities and qualities that are currently unavailable in these smaller cities, and as they grow they will need to draw upon these services more, reinforcing Atlanta's position as the capital of the south and further increasing the range of specialized goods and services available here.

As these cities grow, and demand for higher and higher order goods and services grows, these cities will eventually start to develop a market for these goods and service on their own. These will suffer a long, uphill battle against the larger, more established markets in Atlanta, and for a long time will be a nascent substitute for the better range of services available in Atlanta.

It's basically a smaller-scale regional version of why New York still dominates the country and world in so many ways, despite being horrifically cost inefficient in pretty much every way imaginable. There are a range of services that only exist there, and smaller cities as well as regional hubs like Atlanta need to draw on those services as there is no market for them here yet. Hopefully we can continue to gain on NYC, and we won't succomb to some of the policy blunders that cause that city to be so uncompetitive for lower-order sectors (pointless building restrictions and a local government labor aristocracy, for example).

Old 10-07-2010, 06:52 PM

12,205 posts, read 17,654,778 times
I was just watching 106 & Park, and a person on twitter twitted: "If you ever want to get fed a dream that will never come true, COME TO ATLANTA." That was some ironic. Finally, someone gets it.

Old 10-08-2010, 11:00 AM

1,892 posts, read 1,197,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
People always talking about transit transit yet if it was expanded every where people would still wanna drive. Think about all the cities that are the same size as Atlanta and dont have rail transit..
There are some cities that are the same size as Atlanta or larger and dont have transit system but the Metro Area is no where as big. All Metro Areas in the country that have populations over 5,000,000 like Atlanta, even some smaller have much more extensive Transit Systems. example San Antonio, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Nashville, Larger Cities but no rail transit. Washington DC, Boston, Miami, and Dallas, Similar size metros but better transit systems.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:41 AM

4,869 posts, read 5,484,260 times
Hmmm. I own a home business and currently live in the mountains, just because I can.

As far as cities go, I used to think Atlanta was great with all the trees in the midst of a big city. I thought it was one of the prettiest cities overall.

But lately, I never want to drive down. Atlanta still has lots of great things to see and do, but it feels too difficult to to get around it now. It's the only place I've ever been where people drive the highways at 75-80 MPH with no safe stopping distance in between - bumper-to-bumper. I got so freaked out one time trying to maintain my concentration that I had to take the nearest exit and calm down.

I used to live in Dallas, TX and as bad as traffic was there, driving still felt safer and easier than Atlanta does.

Traffic really is Atlanta's biggest problem.

Old 10-09-2010, 07:36 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,151,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
I was just watching 106 & Park, and a person on twitter twitted: "If you ever want to get fed a dream that will never come true, COME TO ATLANTA." That was some ironic. Finally, someone gets it.
This is so funny, your killing me.

That was a celebrity! a comedian at that! lil duval lives in Atlanta he's always in every other Atlanta rapper video. Like D4L's Tatted up, TI's what up what happening, TI's 24's, Young Joc's Coffee shop and etc. Atlanta is were he got his break and where his dream came true! He made a joke and you took it to the head and got happy LMAO, and thought he was a random regular person that was serious ROFL!

I just so happen to seen that too on 106 and park. You should pay attention a little more they read his tweet between Diddy and Tyrse tweets because they was reading celebes. But itís so funny because you dislike Atlanta so much you muted or ignored the full context of the scenario heard what you wanted to hear then rush to report it LOL. You took a comedian seriously saying ďIf you ever want to get fed a dream that will never come true, COME TO ATLANTA." Who dreams so happens to come true because he came to Atlanta. ) now thatís ironic hence the joke! LOL Wamp wamp wamp your trying too hard.

lil duval is the guy in the car at the begging, again he cameo in a lot of Atlanta artists videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-gLb5sf_8

Old 10-09-2010, 10:32 AM

I knew that was lil duval because I seen his twitter name above the message. I wanted to start something. LOL! A lot of "regular" people have yet to get it.

Old 10-09-2010, 12:40 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,866,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
There are some cities that are the same size as Atlanta or larger and dont have transit system but the Metro Area is no where as big. All Metro Areas in the country that have populations over 5,000,000 like Atlanta, even some smaller have much more extensive Transit Systems. example San Antonio, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Nashville, Larger Cities but no rail transit. Washington DC, Boston, Miami, and Dallas, Similar size metros but better transit systems.
Miami has better transit than Atlanta? Really?

Miami Metrorail daily rail ridership: 61,200 (22 miles of track)
Atlanta MARTA daily rail ridership: 246,000 (48 miles of track)

It looks like Atlanta has 4 times better rail transit than Miami...and Dallas DART, while newer and almost as extensive as MARTA, only carries 58,000 riders/day. Neither of those systems compare favorably to MARTA, so I'm not sure why anyone would say they are "better".

Let's try naming some metros that have more than 2 million people AND have smaller/less effective transit systems than Atlanta: Houston, San Diego, Tampa, St. Louis, Seattle, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Miami, Sacramento, Baltimore, Denver, Minneapolis...you get the picture.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 10-09-2010 at 12:59 PM..

Old 10-09-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
This is so funny, your killing me.

That was a celebrity! a comedian at that! lil duval lives in Atlanta he's always in every other Atlanta rapper video. Like D4L's Tatted up, TI's what up what happening, TI's 24's, Young Joc's Coffee shop and etc. Atlanta is were he got his break and where his dream came true! He made a joke and you took it to the head and got happy LMAO, and thought he was a random regular person that was serious ROFL!

I just so happen to seen that too on 106 and park. You should pay attention a little more they read his tweet between Diddy and Tyrse tweets because they was reading celebes. But itís so funny because you dislike Atlanta so much you muted or ignored the full context of the scenario heard what you wanted to hear then rush to report it LOL. You took a comedian seriously saying ďIf you ever want to get fed a dream that will never come true, COME TO ATLANTA." Who dreams so happens to come true because he came to Atlanta. ) now thatís ironic hence the joke! LOL Wamp wamp wamp your trying too hard.

lil duval is the guy in the car at the begging, again he cameo in a lot of Atlanta artists videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XL-gLb5sf_8
And another thing, I don't hate Atlanta. It has don't anything to me. I just like what it has become; there's nothing I can do about that. People were moving to Atlanta in droves because of jobs and opportunities. Since jobs aren't what they used to be in Atlanta, people, now, move to Atlanta based on media and hype, expecting to live it large without a job or a career. Those people have no guidance or no clue on what they want to do. Because the media displays rich people in Atlanta, people think that they can move there and automatically become rich or famous. Even, LA doesn't suffer from this, LORD. Peer cities and metros like Dallas, DC, and Houston are growing sincerely based on jobs and opportunities and not by what is seen on television. Shucks, these cities are well underrated compared to Atlanta and are growing faster and even almost 2 times faster than Atlanta. Atlanta is a fantastic city, but I just fear for it's future and I don't like what's become. It seems like a lot of people don't move there because of jobs; it's about living it large. When people don't receive the success that they THINK Atlanta is suppose to grant them, they get disappointed and leave; some people have to just deal with it and just stay. This Black Mecca thing is really starting to get to me, and sadly, it's my people, BLACKS, that are suffering from this trend. I hate to see my people have no guidance and no clue about the REAL Atlanta. If it was up to me, I would cancel anything on TV that's dealing with African American wealth in Atlanta. That right there is annoying although I enjoy watching those TV shows. Now, Atlanta is starting to come out the closet as being just a regular place and not this place where blacks can live it up automatically. I just hope more people realize this and move to Atlanta because it offers jobs, not automatic wealth. That's all I have to say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or