U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-09-2010, 12:05 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,807,007 times
Reputation: 2762

Advertisements

I don't see how anyone can definitively state the reason for people moving to Atlanta. There is no way you can actually know WHY anyone moves to Atlanta without asking each and every one!

The majority of new Atlanta residents are families...and I seriously doubt they are thinking about "living large". Many people move to Atlanta for economic reasons (lower taxes, housing costs, cost of living) but I have to think that MOST aren't coming in with dreams of grandeur...give people a little more credit than that - if there IS a fairly tale out there floating around, people still have brains and can figure out that a fairly tale is exactly what it is. From the sound of it, if anyone here is believing the hype as presented by the media - it's YOU. The "black mecca" thing is played out...Atlanta is still a great city for black wealth and success, but a black Disney World it ain't.

Who told you there aren't any jobs in Atlanta? There are tons of jobs, but it just isn't the land of milk and honey anymore in that respect (neither is the rest of the country). Even with the bad economy, there are still a lot more jobs in Atlanta that one might find anywhere else in the state or possibly in the southeast. Granted there is a lot more competition, but at least they have something to strive for here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-09-2010, 12:11 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
You're twisting my words. I didn't say that there aren't any jobs there. I said there aren't jobs like the years before the recession. I also said that a lot of blacks move there due to the media and how Atlanta used to offer a abundance of oppurtinites for African American. Just because one's black doesn't mean Atlanta is right for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 12:20 PM
 
7,848 posts, read 17,807,007 times
Reputation: 2762
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
You're twisting my words. I didn't say that there aren't any jobs there. I said there aren't jobs like the years before the recession. I also said that a lot of blacks move there due to the media and how Atlanta used to offer a abundance of oppurtinites for African American. Just because one's black doesn't mean Atlanta is right for them.
You didn't come out and say that there aren't any jobs in Atlanta - you just implied it a few times. I don't mind...a lot of people have that misconception, and I just wanted to let you know that it isn't reality.

Of course Atlanta isn't right for every black person everywhere, and I believe that most people understand that. Some people are naive enough to think moving here is an automatic life-changer, but I have to think that most people are not that stupid. Atlanta DOES offer an abundance of opportunities for black people and other colors as well...that hasn't changed that I'm aware of.

How many people actually choose a new home based on something they've read in the media anyway? You have to be an idiot to do something that lame. "Oh wow, Atlanta is a great city for black people! I think I'll pack up and move so I can be rich!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 12:27 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
How many people actually choose a new home based on something they've read in the media anyway? You have to be an idiot to do something that lame. "Oh wow, Atlanta is a great city for black people! I think I'll pack up and move so I can be rich!"
And guess what, DeaconJ, I have heard it, sadly. My dad who is a New York barber tells me all the time how his customers move weekly to Atlanta because they think they can become rich. When I was up there this summer, I overheard a man telling another man how "hot" Atlanta is right now and how blacks can become rich. I was annoyed and I wanted to tell them that's not the case. You have to actually get a J...O...B... Then, my daddy told me how most of them moved back because Atlanta didn't give them wealth. Some stayed because they didn't have the money to move back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 12:51 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,946 posts, read 14,602,573 times
Reputation: 4457
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
I especially found irritating his mention that the city appeals only to blacks or gays. What evidence was he basing this on?
Atlanta is the gay nightlife capital of the southeast and is also the black capital. Black culture in Atlanta is far superior to Charlotte and gay nightlife...well Charlotte is very Bible belt and as a result you have a very closeted, fragmented gay community. If you are black or gay, Atlanta is the obvious choice. Its not that Atlanta is only superior to these demographics, but these demographics stand to lose the MOST by moving to Charlotte or Nashville. For everyone else, the benefits of living in a place like Charlotte could outweigh the negatives...for some people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 01:00 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Atlanta is the gay nightlife capital of the southeast and is also the black capital. Black culture in Atlanta is far superior to Charlotte and gay nightlife...well Charlotte is very Bible belt and as a result you have a very closeted, fragmented gay community. If you are black or gay, Atlanta is the obvious choice. Its not that Atlanta is only superior to these demographics, but these demographics stand to lose the MOST by moving to Charlotte or Nashville. For everyone else, the benefits of living in a place like Charlotte could outweigh the negatives...for some people.
See what I'm saying. This is how people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 01:18 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,344,759 times
Reputation: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
You're twisting my words. I didn't say that there aren't any jobs there. I said there aren't jobs like the years before the recession. I also said that a lot of blacks move there due to the media and how Atlanta used to offer a abundance of oppurtinites for African American. Just because one's black doesn't mean Atlanta is right for them.
Im black and I didnt move here because Of No Media. I move here because Of a JOb that was offered to me based on my skills. The Company Called me.. There are an abundance of Opprotunities for blacks in Atlanta if there wasnt The blacks here wouldnt have the status they have now....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 01:24 PM
 
1,666 posts, read 2,344,759 times
Reputation: 486
[quote=oobanks;16188181]There are some cities that are the same size as Atlanta or larger and dont have transit system but the Metro Area is no where as big. All Metro Areas in the country that have populations over 5,000,000 like Atlanta, even some smaller have much more extensive Transit Systems. example San Antonio, Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Nashville, Larger Cities but no rail transit. Washington DC, Boston, Miami, and Dallas, Similar size metros but better transit systems.[/quote


What About Houston?? Also If you look at those cities All but 2 fall short in ridership Compared Atlanta I mean way short. Dont you think a city that has better transit would more likely have people riding those trains? So Marta must be doing something right since we have way more people riding transit. Dont you think ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 01:30 PM
 
12,202 posts, read 17,569,429 times
Reputation: 3350
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Im black and I didnt move here because Of No Media. I move here because Of a JOb that was offered to me based on my skills. The Company Called me.. There are an abundance of Opprotunities for blacks in Atlanta if there wasnt The blacks here wouldnt have the status they have now....
Hint: I didn't say ALL! I said ALOT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-09-2010, 01:33 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
7,732 posts, read 11,767,892 times
Reputation: 2774
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M Bulldawg View Post
And guess what, DeaconJ, I have heard it, sadly. My dad who is a New York barber tells me all the time how his customers move weekly to Atlanta because they think they can become rich. When I was up there this summer, I overheard a man telling another man how "hot" Atlanta is right now and how blacks can become rich. I was annoyed and I wanted to tell them that's not the case. You have to actually get a J...O...B... Then, my daddy told me how most of them moved back because Atlanta didn't give them wealth. Some stayed because they didn't have the money to move back.
Well, then it sounds as if your Father has a bunch of customers that are idiots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top