U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-26-2011, 03:20 PM

7,823 posts, read 4,041,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackalope View Post
Cities do good or poor depending on leadership. [Atlanta's] leadership has looked at city government as a local jobs program; a place where they, their relatives and close friends could get large contracts to make a bunch of money.
... And let's not forget the compulsion to plaster politician's names over everything possible... as if THEY were indispensable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 03:54 PM

14,171 posts, read 8,686,686 times
Quote:
... we now have a "doughnut", with growth outside the city and bleak urban poverty inside it.
That's not factually correct. The city has had significant growth inside the city limits. While there are certainly areas of urban poverty, there has also been a great deal of high end growth inside the city, and that's where many of the highest earning workers live.

Old 01-26-2011, 04:27 PM

357 posts, read 359,685 times
I think you have a lot of second generation atlantans that are not really into this way of life any more. A lot of our parents moved here for the cheap cost of living, but even that is kind of going out the door. Atlanta has always had the same issues, but the leaders here seem not to care. As a result, Atlanta has grown into an area of congestion and massive sprawal. More and more people kept moving in over the years and the problems just kept getting worse.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:15 PM

2,812 posts, read 2,285,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's not factually correct. The city has had significant growth inside the city limits. While there are certainly areas of urban poverty, there has also been a great deal of high end growth inside the city, and that's where many of the highest earning workers live.
Agreed. It's a lot more like a funnel cake than a doughnut.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:32 PM

241 posts, read 195,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Oh pul-lease. A bucketload of condos they can't sell a few high-priced high-rises and some renovation of worthless property by some gay guys.

Go stick your kid in the Atlanta schools and come back and tell me about that "significant high end growth".

Old 01-26-2011, 05:34 PM

241 posts, read 195,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
... And let's not forget the compulsion to plaster politician's names over everything possible... as if THEY were indispensable.
Great comment.

I fully expect to see Peachtree renamed to "Bill Campbell Blvd." any day now.

Old 01-26-2011, 05:39 PM

9,913 posts, read 13,877,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantouttageorgia View Post
Outside the perimeter is the exact opposite. The suburb and rural parts are VERY conservative. They voted in the 80% area for republicans. They are extremely not tolerant of gays and lesbians or of the Latino's or African Americans. Be careful cause the police will "profile" you.They are also VERY Christian and they are very outspoken about it for the most part and will expect you to be one too. And if you are not then you will be excluded or they will be trying to sell you "Jesus" constantly. If i hear "did you know Jesus died for your sins?" one more time i am gonna go off I'm so sick of it, like i have never heard the story. The suburbs elected a corrupt Washington congressman, Nathan Deal, who was under investigation during the election to be our new Governor even though the democrat who was the former governor had already proved that he was capable of running our state just fine.
Wow... Even supposedly ultra-conservative Cobb County split 55% to 45% for McCain in the last presidential election, and Deal beat Barnes 53% to 41%. Hardly 80%.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:12 PM

969 posts, read 1,021,828 times
Quote:
Oh pul-lease. A bucketload of condos they can't sell a few high-priced high-rises and some renovation of worthless property by some gay guys.

Go stick your kid in the Atlanta schools and come back and tell me about that "significant high end growth".
Are you serious? Your comments are a load of crap. There are many highly regarded public schools in Atlanta - the recent probation situation has nothing to do with it as they are still good schools. The city has added over 100,000 people in the last 10 years and the median income has risen to slightly over $50,000. Just driving around many residential parts of Atlanta you can see the "significant high end growth". A lot of areas have been gentrified with all sorts of people including families. If you come into the city, which I doubt you do, where the hell are you going? Bankhead?

Census data show gap closes between city, suburbs *| ajc.com

And about the "bucketload of condos they can't sell"... the market is recovering...

Atlanta condo market recovering; price key | Atlanta Business Chronicle

Old 01-26-2011, 07:03 PM

700 posts, read 752,102 times
Quote:

Ignorance is bliss. Or not .

Old 01-26-2011, 07:36 PM

7 posts, read 5,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Wow... Even supposedly ultra-conservative Cobb County split 55% to 45% for McCain in the last presidential election, and Deal beat Barnes 53% to 41%. Hardly 80%.

I was not just talking about Cobb county, I said suburbs AND rural Georgia. 80 Percent might be stretching it a little but state wide it is not that far off. You are arguing semantics. The basic message I was saying is that there are two different Georgia's. That the city of Atlanta is politically and socially a polar opposite of the rest of the state. So do you disagree with the basic message that I am trying to convey?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta