U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 04:50 PM

7,732 posts, read 11,783,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Uh, what? Were you stoned when you wrote this? Crunk is a type of ghetto-ass rap music that came out of the "dirty Souf'". It's distinctive feature is over-use of the n-word.

The dumbing down of America...
Uh, I believe that arjay's post was slightly tongue-in-cheek?

Lighten up.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2011, 05:02 PM

28,167 posts, read 24,711,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Uh, I believe that arjay's post was slightly tongue-in-cheek?

Lighten up.....
Oh, yeah, I was just kidding. We would have had those buildings even without crunk.

But maybe not the Beltline.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:21 PM

4,228 posts, read 4,127,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Uh, what? Were you stoned when you wrote this? Crunk is a type of ghetto-ass rap music that came out of the "dirty Souf'". It's distinctive feature is over-use of the n-word.

The dumbing down of America...
Yes people say the n-word Just like people using the word “ghetto” which is a race base word with negative notions, which you just used, good job.

Old 02-20-2011, 07:48 AM

144 posts, read 285,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1986 View Post
Plus, all of the amenities (every major league sport, better concerts, Piedmont Park is great, better and more diverse nightlife, shopping, and dining, Six Flags, Aquarium, World of Coke, CNN Center, Stone Mountain, plus all of the wealth and businesses that are already here).
I have to point out that out of your list of "amenities," all but 2 are places you must pay to enter.

Don't forget the Atlanta area's hiking trails, for example (the $2 or $3 parking is trivial and insignificant compared to $30 to get in the Aquarium).

Old 02-20-2011, 10:53 AM

2,112 posts, read 5,135,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plokivos View Post
when was it ever on? Just because the midtown is building building doesn't mean it's growing. You would be surprised at how many businesses are moving out of georgia and how many floors are empty in the high rises, and how many units are empty on the high end condos in atlanta.

Crazy fools missed the whole point of Atlanta and created a city that won't allow gentrification, just social classification.
I do believe you're wrong in so many ways. The overbuilding of office space occurred only in Buckhead. Currently Buckhead has seen steady office rents of ~$25-35 depending on the building (basically barely any drops in rent). Also, the buildings were built by Life companies and other companies flush with cash trying to game in, and so they were built largely spec. Well 1-2 years later and many of them have largely leased up. Companies have been moving down from the Perimeter and from northern states like Michigan and Ohio to fill the space. The only two large, new buildings that have greater than 60% vacancy are Phipps Tower and 3630, both of which have seen greater interest in the past few months.

As for condos, the problem wasn't as much overbuilding as it was pricing. Now that prices have come down from their artificial highs, the Brookwood, the Atlantic, the W Downtown Residences, and other buildings are filling up pretty quickly. The Brookwood went from no residences to about 20% full in basically a month or two (just now). The problem with lower prices is that they make it difficult to cover loans on the building. In the next boom, developers are going to be much more careful with high rise condos, but it doesn't mean none will be built.

Lastly, companies moving out of Georgia? All I read about and hear about are companies moving to Georgia. Perhaps the ABC and all the publications I read are flat out wrong?

And for housing, I believe there is a 6 month housing supply in the metro now, down from what was it, 15-18 months? Sure there are probably a few communities where there are so many houses or units available, but these are much less frequent. Another bright spot about Atlanta housing is that even though about a third of Atlanta homes are underwater, relative to FL and to CA, people are still paying their mortgages instead of walking away even though GA is a non-judicial foreclosure state.

We'll see our Census numbers in March, so only then will we know for sure how much our growth has slowed.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:26 PM

747 posts, read 1,266,546 times
Has the W Downtown really sold some units? I love the sign on the building that says something like, "Only 74 chances to own." Oh, gee, get 'em while you can LOL.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
The overbuilding of office space occurred only in Buckhead.
I agree with you that things are looking up, but the Midtown office vacancy rate has actually been about the same as Buckhead. They were both way overbuilt. Downtown and a number of suburban locations haven't been faring a whole lot better.

Old 02-20-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Has the W Downtown really sold some units? I love the sign on the building that says something like, "Only 74 chances to own." Oh, gee, get 'em while you can LOL.
If I owned that place I'd cut the prices drastically and get some people in there. Having some occupants gives a building a great deal of synergy.

When you walk up to a building that's been sitting empty for several years and the prices are still high, you've gotta be wondering, "Why should I sign up for this if nobody else is willing to?"

Old 02-20-2011, 12:59 PM

2,112 posts, read 5,135,026 times
^^^From relocations...only 1075 Peachtree has added a significant amount of space in Midtown and it has fared very well. Midtown (and Buckhead) should stabilize within 12-15 months. The steady influx of leases via local and interstate corporate relocations and expansions will mean that not too far from now Perimeter will be the office market in trouble (maybe...it's positioned very very well for the majority of Atlanta's professional population). Midtown just has to lease up Campanile, retain tenants in Atlantic Center, and turn over the PWC building at 10th and W Peachtree, and with a recap under way at Campanile, Alston & Bird and Schiff HArden renewing their leases at the Atlantic Center, and the excellent conditions at the PWC building, none of this should be difficult to do. Atlantic Station is going to see a significant recap for the BB&T building and the retail portion very very soon, which will also attract new tenants. Investor activity is picking up, not declining.

Downtown has suffered high vacancies for a long time not from overbuilding, so it's not just about new space affecting the market. It seems like the downtown market is improving in the past year, too, though.

I'll post some income and population growth rates for select areas soon. Intown Atlanta is definitely still booming relative to other areas of town and other areas of the country for that matter (both in income growth and population growth).

Old 02-20-2011, 01:04 PM

906 posts, read 1,442,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms3 View Post
I'll post some income and population growth rates for select areas soon. Intown Atlanta is definitely still booming relative to other areas of town and other areas of the country for that matter (both in income growth and population growth).
I look forward to seeing the numbers. Do we have any hard Census data for Atlanta as of yet? I'd read they'd released some preliminary numbers around the country, but I haven't seen much about Atlanta so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or