Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 08:39 AM

364 posts, read 714,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Another Atlanta hater...We must be doing something right with all the negative Atlanta threads and articles

^^^
Exactly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 AM

4,819 posts, read 6,047,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
When yo say 'mind' do you mean the issues of cities and counties which want to break apart from Atlata and even the county which houses the city, such as the wealthy Sandy Springs and Johns Creek areas? Or how about that when people say they live in Atlanta, it really means they live in Decatur, or Smyrna, or acworth. Infact even the newly moved in corporations did not locate in "Atlanta". They are in other metro cities.

I too think growth has masked some very big problems and has been the only yardstick some Atlanta metro people used to judge the quality of the place.
Do know Atlanta only is 132.4 sq mi right? I'm scratching my head to understand your point into saying “how about that when people say they live in Atlanta, it really means they live in Decatur, or Smyrna, or acworth." Also the "newly moved in corporations did not locate in "Atlanta"...... Well they move in other METRO ATLANTA cities, it still would benefit the region.

Anyway as for Progressive, what does Charlotte and Nashville have on pare with the Beltline? Aerotropolis and etc..... Nothing. All this this fighting in Metro Atlanta still have more developments crazy right, the only thing I can think of NC is ahead of ATL is high speed rail that's it. But you know what the state is helping Atlanta with? The fort mcpherson redevelopment the biotech Research park.

The code red question of the article is when the author said refering to Atlanta "what do you actually lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville?” lets see Besides 30 years. Even less urbaneness than Atlanta, which the acticle bash ATL as lacking. LMAO Atlanta is not urban enough for us, hey I know lets go to Charlotte. ) Even less amenities than Atlanta. So Atlanta lacks diverse nightlife, shopping, museums and etc? hey I know let go to Nashville, their we can watch their pro MLB and NBA teams, and enjoy ourselves with even less conventions and festivals. but hay what does Atlanta has that Charlotte or Nashville don't.

The article state nothing about Atlanta, that others southeast cities aren’t going throw to why Atlanta is be to even point out in the first place. Especially when Atlanta has more development projects and generally more things going on for it's future, then a lot of the cities Atlanta was even compare to in the article. Seriously

Last edited by chiatldal; 05-20-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 05-20-2010, 09:49 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,400,161 times
When I have a chance I'll read the article more carefully.

From the previous responses I have a general idea of the author's POV. From numerous previous threads I am well-aware of the strengths and weaknesses inherent with the metro Atlanta area.

LOL--The temperature is great today--cool for May--lows in the 50's and 60's and it's green.

Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,719,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
When yo say 'mind' do you mean the issues of cities and counties which want to break apart from Atlata and even the county which houses the city, such as the wealthy Sandy Springs and Johns Creek areas? Or how about that when people say they live in Atlanta, it really means they live in Decatur, or Smyrna, or acworth. Infact even the newly moved in corporations did not locate in "Atlanta". They are in other metro cities.

I too think growth has masked some very big problems and has been the only yardstick some Atlanta metro people used to judge the quality of the place.
Pepsi,IBM,Xerox,etc....Some of the biggestr names are headquarter outside of downtown NYC.They are in the metro.Same with L.A.,Chicago.The only cities that seem to not have that problem are cities with huge swaths of land like Houston,Charlotte,San Antonio,etc...Those cities have very liberal annexing policies.Atlanta is roughly the same size as Philly.Just less dense.Atlanta is the most densely populated metro in the South outside of Miami.Those companies that do move outside the city limits generally are just barely over the border.Such as Sandy Springs,Dunwoody,Marietta,Norcross.

It really does not matter because those people working in those places are increasingly choosing the CITY over the suburbs.How else can you explain a population boom in the city core from 394,000 to at present 537,000 in 20 short years?Much of that in the last 10 out pacing in other city's intown in the country other than Dallas.

So yes those affluent areas have decided to seperate in their Republican conservative enclaves and leave what they consider a liberal minded,to "ethnic" albatross.Yet where do they come to see sporting events?Concerts?etc...

Thats why LovinDecatur said:
Quote:
with journalists is that they are lazy researchers, under a deadline, and with a bent for sensationalism...so I tend to look at articles like this through a filter unless I'm familiar with their reputation.

She knows like many of us that are active and follow our cities development that its just largely conjecture what this guy is saying,In other words....B.S.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:02 AM

8,468 posts, read 14,904,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
When I have a chance I'll read the article more carefully.

From the previous responses I have a general idea of the author's POV. From numerous previous threads I am well-aware of the strengths and weaknesses inherent with the metro Atlanta area.

LOL--The temperature is great today--cool for May--lows in the 50's and 60's and it's green.

That's what is really up!

Old 05-20-2010, 10:20 AM

37 posts, read 76,411 times
Put me in the "observant" camp. For a while, Atlanta was the only game in town if you wanted the advantages of living in a large city in the Southeast (excluding Florida), and I think that's something that's going to change. I imagine in coming years, as the stigma of the Southeast wears off, and as people get more and more acclimated to modern telecommunications technology, the Southeast as a whole will boom. I imagine Atlanta steadily getting bigger and richer, but not having the kind of growth other cities will. It's hard to imagine any other city overtaking it as the "capital of the South" any time soon, but it's also hard for me to think the gap won't close a fair amount.

As for what Atlanta becomes long-term, my guess is something between Philly and Chicago. I think it has far, far too much going for it to become a Detroit (although it's not an entirely unfair comparison), but I can't see it blowing up the way New York did, simply because I don't think that's what Atlantans want. I always tell people what I love about Atlanta is that it's 90% of the benefit of living in Chicago or New York with 30% of the hassle, and I think a lot of other people, be they from the area or transplants, like about it too, and I think the people who live there will fight to preserve it.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:31 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,291,021 times
^Great post, bluepepper.

And welcome

Old 05-20-2010, 11:23 AM

747 posts, read 1,538,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post

The code red question of the article is when the author said refering to Atlanta "what do you actually lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville?” lets see Besides 30 years. Even less urbaneness than Atlanta, which the acticle bash ATL as lacking. LMAO Atlanta is not urban enough for us, hey I know lets go to Charlotte. )
ROFL, same for Birmingham. Like the Twilight Zone

Old 05-20-2010, 11:27 AM

37 posts, read 76,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
^Great post, bluepepper.

And welcome
Thank you, sir!

I've been lurking here for a while, keeping up on the city I miss so much. Thought I'd take the plunge and get involved as I may soon be headed back.

Last edited by bluepepper; 05-20-2010 at 11:27 AM.. Reason: typo correction

Old 05-20-2010, 11:40 AM

7 posts, read 13,750 times
What I know is there is a stigma to the actual city, unlike Chicago or NYC, the actual center of town is not the center of activity. Theres not so much quality in Atlanta, its more about quantity. Atlanta is like this; I have 5 malls to choose from, but there may be shootout this weekend at two of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta