U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 11:47 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,346,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sklerty34 View Post
What I know is there is a stigma to the actual city, unlike Chicago or NYC, the actual center of town is not the center of activity. Theres not so much quality in Atlanta, its more about quantity. Atlanta is like this; I have 5 malls to choose from, but there may be shootout this weekend at two of them.

what?????
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:02 PM

37 posts, read 66,669 times
Quote:
What I know is there is a stigma to the actual city, unlike Chicago or NYC, the actual center of town is not the center of activity. Theres not so much quality in Atlanta, its more about quantity. Atlanta is like this; I have 5 malls to choose from, but there may be shootout this weekend at two of them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
what?????
I think what Sklerty34 is saying is that in Atlanta living in the city (as opposed to in the metro area) isn't as desirable and/or isn't perceived as desirable. If that's the case, I absolutely agree.

Look at Washington, New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, etc - in all those places having the city itself on your mailing address is a really big deal and, speaking as a fairly young person, it's considered hip to live in the city rather than near it. In Atlanta I think there are more people who like the Atlanta area, as opposed to the city itself; in fact, I think there are a lot who have the stance that they only go in the city when they have to and don't understand why people live there.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:55 PM

734 posts, read 1,775,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepepper View Post
In Atlanta I think there are more people who like the Atlanta area, as opposed to the city itself; in fact, I think there are a lot who have the stance that they only go in the city when they have to and don't understand why people live there.
I understand the point, I wonder why some have that viewpoint? I think it depends on what stage you're at in life. Compare the city proper of Atlanta and ITP communities of today to the Atlanta of 2000, huge difference IMO. More and more families that have the means are moving intown mainly for quality of life. There are so many amenities the city offers for families and singles alike. Don't get me wrong - married with kids, besides the traffic, I understand the appeal of the suburbs, but some families and I would venture to guess most singles/young couples would opt for the city. When some people think of the city I think they just think downtown, midtown, buckhead, and south of I-20 because they hear it all the time but there's much more than those places. Call me bias, but I think it's pretty hip to live in the city now regardless of age.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:09 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,740,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I understand the point, I wonder why some have that viewpoint? I think it depends on what stage you're at in life. Compare the city proper of Atlanta and ITP communities of today to the Atlanta of 2000, huge difference IMO. More and more families that have the means are moving intown mainly for quality of life. There are so many amenities the city offers for families and singles alike. Don't get me wrong - married with kids, besides the traffic, I understand the appeal of the suburbs, but some families and I would venture to guess most singles/young couples would opt for the city. When some people think of the city I think they just think downtown, midtown, buckhead, and south of I-20 because they hear it all the time but there's much more than those places. Call me bias, but I think it's pretty hip to live in the city now regardless of age.
I totally agree. In the 80s and 90s it was true that the City of Atlanta proper was not a desirable place for people to relocate to. That all changed in the 2000s. There is no clearer proof of that than the following:

City of Atlanta population in 2000: 416,000
City of Atlanta population in 2009: 540,000

One hundred and thirty thousand people dont move to a place in 10 years if it isn't desirable

Old 05-20-2010, 01:19 PM

12,926 posts, read 21,008,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepepper View Post
I think what Sklerty34 is saying is that in Atlanta living in the city (as opposed to in the metro area) isn't as desirable and/or isn't perceived as desirable. If that's the case, I absolutely agree.

Look at Washington, New York, Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, etc - in all those places having the city itself on your mailing address is a really big deal and, speaking as a fairly young person, it's considered hip to live in the city rather than near it. In Atlanta I think there are more people who like the Atlanta area, as opposed to the city itself; in fact, I think there are a lot who have the stance that they only go in the city when they have to and don't understand why people live there.
No. You're talking about a 1970's, 80's, and 90's Atlanta--and only those people who had a heavy "suburban" mentality.

Having an Atlanta address is actually very desirable--for many (young/hip, families, etc.).
In fact, the River's Call development (million dollar+ homes) near Wildwood in southern East Cobb/northern Cumberland area actually advertises..."a prestigious Atlanta address, with low Cobb County taxes."

And I know many people who were bummed when their new place fell on the non-Atlanta address side: in the case of the Cumberland/Vinings area--Atlanta vs. Smyrna; in the case of North Druid Hills/Emory--Atlanta vs. Decatur.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:24 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,820,121 times
Quote:
1. It would be more like 20 malls to choose from, if malls are your thing.

2. Can you post a link to any story about an Atlanta mall shooting in the recent past? I can't think of one in the last 10 years or more, but I'm very sure there aren't 2 on any given weekend.

3. The "center of town" depends on where one resides. The center of Atlanta for me is Downtown/Midtown, and that is where most of my activities take place.

4. There is abundant quality in Atlanta...I'm not sure where you get the idea that Atlanta is only about quantity.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:25 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,123,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post

And I know many people who were bummed when their new place fell on the non-Atlanta address side: in the case of the Cumberland/Vinings area--Atlanta vs. Smyrna; in the case of North Druid Hills/Emory--Atlanta vs. Decatur.
If someone is getting "bummed" over whether their return address says Atlanta or not, they've really got to get a life......

Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 PM

12,926 posts, read 21,008,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If someone is getting "bummed" over whether their return address says Atlanta or not, they've really got to get a life......
If a person doesn't have the proper, hip address, then what's the point of living?

Last edited by aries4118; 05-20-2010 at 01:50 PM..

Old 05-20-2010, 01:39 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,123,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
If a person doesn't have the proper, hip address, then what's the point of living?
For some, apparently there is no point, I guess. Personally, I could care less what the return address says- as long as my paycheck shows up in the right mailbox....lol

Old 05-20-2010, 01:42 PM

7,848 posts, read 17,820,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Whenever I lived in areas that weren't specifically Atlanta (Decatur and Dunwoody) I simply used Atlanta as my address anyway. The post office goes by zip code, so it doesn't affect your mail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or