Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 11:59 PM

625 posts, read 1,149,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
LOL.You educate someone?That made my night!!!Georgia Tech a "war zone" "complete dilapidation for half a century?Lets see:
#4 in engineering schools overall
#7 Biomedical engineering
#5 in Aerospace aeronautical
#6 in mechanical engineering
etc...........
Looks like its really going downhill
The college's rankings do not reflect its influence on the region compared to the other top ten universities in America.. This IS an Atlanta forum, we're here to discuss the economy of the region, not school rankings, which CLEARLY have no bearing on the discussion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 12:12 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,794,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondandfun View Post
The college's rankings do not reflect its influence on the region compared to the other top ten universities in America.. This IS an Atlanta forum, we're here to discuss the economy of the region, not school rankings, which CLEARLY have no bearing on the discussion.
The education component of Atlanta is just as pivotal to its economy and overall well being as it is to Boston,D.C.,or Raleigh.To try and separate it from the whole picture would not allow for an accurate representation of what constitutes a healthy and vibrant economy for today and for the future of Atlanta or any city.So YES it clearly does have a bearing on the discussion.You even made reference to why you felt GaTech/Atlanta was lacking behind other cities.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:39 AM

4,843 posts, read 6,101,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
Houston and Dallas have traffic problems, but their arterial road system is MUCH better than Atlanta. Those two cities are a couple of steps ahead when it comes to that. Those cities have multiple roadways that run parallel to the freeways to get you into town. Atlanta doesn't (like I said earlier, only US and State highways for Atlanta).
No all this does is make traffic in a strait line, I drove on Dallas street, strait lines makes no better. Also again most Georgia state highways NOT Freeways they work like main road with stop lights, cross intersections, and etc again a example will be Buford HWY, and etc

Quote:
From the Atlanta Regional Planning website: http://www.atlantaregional.com/File%...op_Sunbelt.pdf

So, Atlanta uses up more square miles than Houston and Dallas, but has less population. These are from 2000 though, as the new numbers don't come out until next year. Now, as far as Atlanta roads are small, amking them more walkable, I want to know what Atlanta roads you've been on. A lot of them don't even have sidewalks and are barely walkable.
Yes their denser but Dallas nor Houston is much denser so whats the point of this? Also I said the roads a smaller in Atlanta this give a potential of density and walkability with New urbanism that Dallas and Houston doesn’t have. This is what I was pointing out. And Atlanta is going throw more redevelopment projects then both of those cities.

Quote:
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. Buford Highway is a state highway, which is what I was saying. The only crosstown roads in Atlanta are US or State highways.
They work as main roads most are not FREEWAYS. Does it matter if they're state roads? because about half of the roads are ) others examples are South Cobb Drive, Moreland Avenue, University Parkway, and etc in fact Peachtree Road is Georgia State Route 141 and I can go on and on. The roads are more commonly own by the state in Georgia. It's kind of like how most of Metro Atlanta is in unincorporated areas that are over see by counties. Since counties are so small they govern their unincorporated areas like cities.

Quote:
And I'll say it again, a reason why Atlanta was hurt so badly was because the construction and real estate/speculation industries were a BIG part of the boom and why Atlanta grew as fast as it did. The growth you see now in Atlanta is how Atlanta will grow for a bit, IMO. It's healthy growth actually. I'm glad Atlanta is increasing its other industries, especially biotech, or other industries that don't suffer as much during a downtime in the economy.
Atlanta economy is already diverse in fact more so than Houston and Dallas actually, again the reason why the boom hurt Atlanta is not just real estate, it was that other industries had ties to the real estate industries. Atlanta is not Phoenix.

Quote:
Yes, the growth in the City of Atlanta this decade has been amazing. Atlanta gained back what it lost in the 90s, plus more. I don't think growing by 100K is out of the question. That's the kind of growth I'm talking about (85K-100K). It'll be interesting to see how the metro area grew this year to get a better picture.
Atlanta wasn't gaining 100k it was gaining over 140k Atlanta at one point. It’s estimate that jobs in Metro Atlanta will out grow the pre recession high before the mid 10s and Atlanta still has a lot investment going on. So it's very likely that the area will be growing atleast 100k a year by the mid 10s.

Quote:
With the companies already in Atlanta, it really shouldn't be hard, but for some reason, Atlanta is losing those high/mid wage jobs. It's instead gaining a lot more low wage jobs.

Okay, thanks. Came out a couple of months before the high-paying jobs info came out.
I got to check this out but like I mention Atlanta is a major educational center so it has a advantage on human capital by producing it. Instead of trying to lure in, the challange is getting them to stay in.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Quote:
Yeah, it's just a bunch of slow menial types of companies with lots of low wage workers combined with lots of corporate wanker types, nothing really on the cutting edge like you'll see in Boston or a handful of smaller cities like Raleigh.
LOL.You educate someone?That made my night!!!Georgia Tech a "war zone" "complete dilapidation for half a century?Lets see:
#4 in engineering schools overall
#7 Biomedical engineering
#5 in Aerospace aeronautical
#6 in mechanical engineering
etc...........
Looks like its really going downhill
LOL don't forget the Fort mcpherson redevelopment biotech research park
Fort McPherson
Fort McPherson's future: Scientific research, mixed-use

Old 05-31-2010, 02:28 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Atlanta is not a good place to live for high-tech workers. The AJC, I believe, Is one of the only newspapers in the country without a technology section.
We seem to have no issues at all finding highly qualified technical people, and other companies in the airline industry (Delta, Travelport) also have large datacenters in the Atlanta metro.

I'm a high tech worker, and I think Atlanta is fine. Besides, who reads paper newspapers anymore?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:40 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,952,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
No all this does is make traffic in a strait line, I drove on Dallas street, strait lines makes no better. Also again most Georgia state highways NOT Freeways they work like main road with stop lights, cross intersections, and etc again a example will be Buford HWY, and etc
Dallas and Houston have greater capacities on their roadways and freeways to take in traffic. Some of the worst traffic I've been in, in Atlanta, weren't even on the freeways, but instead the secondary roads (with no accidents). If you don't think multiple roadways running parallel to freeways, into the core of a city don't help, then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the Buford highway, either. I know it's not a freeway.

Quote:
Yes their denser but Dallas nor Houston is much denser so whats the point of this? Also I said the roads a smaller in Atlanta this give a potential of density and walkability with New urbanism that Dallas and Houston doesn’t have. This is what I was pointing out. And Atlanta is going throw more redevelopment projects then both of those cities.
Both actually have about 1200 more people per square mile than Atlanta (in the urban areas). I'd say that's a hefty difference. As far as New Urbanism, I'm not following you there. Care to have some examples? Both Houston and Dallas have a bunch of these "New Urbanism" projects. Both of these cities are laid out in a better grid in their core. Both are flat (though Dallas not as much, but it generally is near the core). Those two reasons will lead to better density.

And I'm not so sure Atlanta is going through more redevelopment projects, though it's definitely had a bunch. All three cities have transformed their cores this decade. I just think (as well as the author), that Houston and Dallas have better positioned themselves for the future, than Atlanta has.

Quote:
They work as main roads most are not FREEWAYS. Does it matter if they're state roads? because about half of the roads are ) others examples are South Cobb Drive, Moreland Avenue, University Parkway, and etc in fact Peachtree Road is Georgia State Route 141 and I can go on and on. The roads are more commonly own by the state in Georgia. It's kind of like how most of Metro Atlanta is in unincorporated areas that are over see by counties. Since counties are so small they govern their unincorporated areas like cities.
When did I ever say they were freeways? You're completely missing the point. Atlanta has very few crosstown routes compared to Houston and Dallas. The secondary roads go any which way, too, and do not run parallel to freeways (though some do).

And what does the last part of your paragraph have to do with the highways? But what does this have to do with the highways?

Quote:
Atlanta economy is already diverse in fact more so than Houston and Dallas actually, again the reason why the boom hurt Atlanta is not just real estate, it was that other industries had ties to the real estate industries. Atlanta is not Phoenix.
Like construction?

Atlanta may have not been like Phoenix or Vegas, but it's closer to those cities than Houston or Dallas. If Atlanta had skyrocketed in home prices during the boom, it would have been exactly like those cities, but luckily home prices didn't go through the roof.

And as far as Atlanta having a more diverse economy than Houston or Dallas, that simply isn't true. Now with Houston, it is. Houston's economy isn't as diverse as Atlanta's (yet), but it's definitely making big strides. With Dallas, it's not even close. Dallas' economy is more diverse than Atlanta's. Dallas pretty much has all of Atlanta's industries, plus many jobs in the energy industry. It's weird that Dallas' economy is as diverse as Atlanta's, yet it kept growing during the recession, while Atlanta slowed down considerably. Makes me afraid to think of the growth in that area once the economy completely bounces back. Houston as well, with its diversifying economy and adding more jobs in the IT/telecommunications industries (among other new ones like nano/biotech), as well. Also, both Houston and Dallas' economies are much larger than Atlanta's.

Quote:
Atlanta wasn't gaining 100k it was gaining over 140k Atlanta at one point. It’s estimate that jobs in Metro Atlanta will out grow the pre recession high before the mid 10s and Atlanta still has a lot investment going on. So it's very likely that the area will be growing atleast 100k a year by the mid 10s.
I know it was well over 100K...that's why I said growth from 85K-100K seems more realistic for Atlanta now. And do you have a link to those jobs? That's a very good thing for Atlanta. I wonder which industries jobs are expected to expand in the most.

Quote:
I got to check this out but like I mention Atlanta is a major educational center so it has a advantage on human capital by producing it. Instead of trying to lure in, the challange is getting them to stay in.
Yeah, Atlanta is facing the same problems as San Antonio. The high/mid paying jobs are disappearing in favor of low-wage jobs. I don't think Atlanta will have a problem retaining its college graduates, but it has seemed to be a problem since the recession started. I'm sure once it's over, new high paying jobs will be produced. The thing that surprised me was that Atlanta lost more high/mid level paying jobs than Chicago or LA.

What I'm trying to say here is that Atlanta is not going away, BUT it is losing ground to the Texas two. Those cities have better infrastructure and planning in the region than Atlanta. This is something Atlanta can fix, and it'll be hard. I like the plans I've seen from the Atlanta Regional Planning site. Many of the secondary roadways are not going to be widened, but they are going to fix things like turning lanes, driveways, etc. When the boom was going on, there was not as much improvements to the roadways/freeways like you saw in Dallas and Houston.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:40 AM

719 posts, read 1,697,658 times
Quote:
Yeah, it's just a bunch of slow menial types of companies with lots of low wage workers combined with lots of corporate wanker types, nothing really on the cutting edge like you'll see in Boston or a handful of smaller cities like Raleigh.
Hmm, this strikes me as wildly exaggerated, but I'm not an expert on the cutting edge technology scene so I can't really judge how accurate it is. Obviously Boston is going to be out in front here, since it's the 2nd or 3rd tech center on the continent. But Raleigh? Maybe, maybe not, it would seem to me. By the way, surprised you didn't mention Austin as that's a place that, though much smaller, always seems to trounce Atlanta in one direct comparison after another, however justified that may be.

Anyway do you have any examples to back this statement up? Examples of cutting edge startups, etc. in places like Raleigh, Austin, and similar places, or the Bay Area for that matter? And what are we talking about here by "cutting edge" anyway? Are we talking about specific industries, like biotech? Some cities have specialties and within that special area they may not have any serious competitors in the country.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 AM

Quote:
What I'm trying to say here is that Atlanta is not going away, BUT it is losing ground to the Texas two. Those cities have better infrastructure and planning in the region than Atlanta. This is something Atlanta can fix, and it'll be hard. I like the plans I've seen from the Atlanta Regional Planning site. Many of the secondary roadways are not going to be widened, but they are going to fix things like turning lanes, driveways, etc. When the boom was going on, there was not as much improvements to the roadways/freeways like you saw in Dallas and Houston.
I'm with you here Scarface713. Keep in mind though a very important difference between Atlanta and the big Texas metros, which can be boiled down to one word: annexation. The major difference -- and it's hard to see how it does anything other than hamstring Atlanta's efforts to keep pace with these other big, up-and-coming metros (and I'd even put Phoenix in this group) - can ultimately be traced back to the fact that it lacks a centralized political and administrative body that is sufficiently large and robust to form a critical mass of political clout in the region as a whole. Though Atlanta has certainly come a long way in the past decade (recall that even at the time of the Olympics Atlanta's core city was a laughably small portion of the metro population), it really needs to break the million mark both for symbolic reasons (it needs to be a plus-million size city when you look it up on the city proper population tables) as well as in order to make up a significant enough share of the region as a whole that it can wield something of its proper weight and clout. The fact that it is not large enough creates the rather unique situation here that the city core itself finds itself in the position of ugly stepchild instead of the very bread basket for the region. This, by the way, was the main oversight by the author of the article originally cited by the OP in an otherwise excellent and very thoughtful piece on Atlanta.

Last edited by WilliamM; 05-31-2010 at 10:08 AM..

Old 05-31-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Atlanta is not a good place to live for high-tech workers. The AJC, I believe, Is one of the only newspapers in the country without a technology section.
By the way, not to belabor the point but I'm just looking at a couple of Raleigh area newspapers and I'm not seeing tech sections there either.

News, Sports, Business, Politics - Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill | The News & Observer
The Herald-Sun - Trusted & Essential

This might not have been the best example to cite for lack of technology presence since newspapers are part of an industry in utter upheaval as you may know.

Old 05-31-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Dallas and Houston have greater capacities on their roadways and freeways to take in traffic. Some of the worst traffic I've been in, in Atlanta, weren't even on the freeways, but instead the secondary roads (with no accidents). If you don't think multiple roadways running parallel to freeways, into the core of a city don't help, then I don't know what to tell you. I'm not sure what you're trying to say about the Buford highway, either. I know it's not a freeway.
You keep taking about straighter roads that cross cities, you said the mains roads that does this are the state highways in GA. MOST GA state highways like Buford highways are the main road. So it’s a straw man. Also Dallas road ways have more capacities because their "wider" the striaghtness is irrelevant. And what I'm trying to tells you, because roads are smaller in Atlanta with new urbanism Atlanta has the infrastructure to densify in a ways that Dallas and Houston cannot in term of walkabity. Dallas wide street grid layout vs. Atlanta small streets grid or not.

Quote:
Both actually have about 1200 more people per square mile than Atlanta (in the urban areas). I'd say that's a hefty difference. As far as New Urbanism, I'm not following you there. Care to have some examples? Both Houston and Dallas have a bunch of these "New Urbanism" projects. Both of these cities are laid out in a better grid in their core. Both are flat (though Dallas not as much, but it generally is near the core). Those two reasons will lead to better density.
Metro Atlanta 630/sq mi
Greater Houston 630.3/sq mi
DFW 634/sq. mi

But since your just talking about cores, grides and density, this is an New Urbanist project and it's dense while being anything but in a grid.

Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta - Google Maps

Quote:
And I'm not so sure Atlanta is going through more redevelopment projects, though it's definitely had a bunch. All three cities have transformed their cores this decade. I just think (as well as the author), that Houston and Dallas have better positioned themselves for the future, than Atlanta has.
The Atlanta beltline is largest single redevelopment project in the US That's at fact.
Atlanta BeltLine > Home

these are developments in Atlanta proper near the beltline,
Atlanta - Google Maps
Atlanta - Google Maps
Atlanta - Google Maps
Atlanta - Google Maps
these are views of areas being development near the beltline
Atlanta - Google Maps
Atlanta - Google Maps
Atlanta - Google Maps
Atlanta - Google Maps
these are developments else where in the 132.4 sq mi city limits.
Atlanta - Google Maps
Atlanta - Google Maps
Atlanta - Google Maps

Atlanta as got many other redevelopment project like the aerotropolis and fort mcpherson biotech and mix use projects.

Quote:
When did I ever say they were freeways? You're completely missing the point. Atlanta has very few crosstown routes compared to Houston and Dallas. The secondary roads go any which way, too, and do not run parallel to freeways (though some do).

And what does the last part of your paragraph have to do with the highways? But what does this have to do with the highways?
There is no Distinction from Hwys and main roads in Georgia. And you said "The only straight shots are either US or Georgia State highways" these are main crosstown straight shots. I put it this way the straight shots city roads in Texas would be Georgia State highways in Georgia. That's Why I said it's a straw man. It's kinda like cities in Texas are like Georgia counties.

Quote:
Like construction?

Atlanta may have not been like Phoenix or Vegas, but it's closer to those cities than Houston or Dallas. If Atlanta had skyrocketed in home prices during the boom, it would have been exactly like those cities, but luckily home prices didn't go through the roof.
no like generally the home improvement industry, Financial and etc. If the housing market crash what does this do to companies like The Home Depot? And SunTrust not getting paid back housing loans.

Quote:
And as far as Atlanta having a more diverse economy than Houston or Dallas, that simply isn't true. Now with Houston, it is. Houston's economy isn't as diverse as Atlanta's (yet), but it's definitely making big strides. With Dallas, it's not even close. Dallas' economy is more diverse than Atlanta's. Dallas pretty much has all of Atlanta's industries, plus many jobs in the energy industry. It's weird that Dallas' economy is as diverse as Atlanta's, yet it kept growing during the recession, while Atlanta slowed down considerably. Makes me afraid to think of the growth in that area once the economy completely bounces back. Houston as well, with its diversifying economy and adding more jobs in the IT/telecommunications industries (among other new ones like nano/biotech), as well. Also, both Houston and Dallas' economies are much larger than Atlanta's.
Are you telling me Dallas media, financial, Education is on level of Atlanta? And Atlanta actually does has energy companies here like Southern Company, AGL Resources, and RaceTrac. Atlanta is just not to the scale of Texas cities in Energy. But Atlanta economy is more diverse than Dallas it’s just Dallas economy is larger.

Quote:
I know it was well over 100K...that's why I said growth from 85K-100K seems more realistic for Atlanta now. And do you have a link to those jobs? That's a very good thing for Atlanta. I wonder which industries jobs are expected to expand in the most.
It didn't say, it was an AJC article a few months back.

Quote:
Yeah, Atlanta is facing the same problems as San Antonio. The high/mid paying jobs are disappearing in favor of low-wage jobs. I don't think Atlanta will have a problem retaining its college graduates, but it has seemed to be a problem since the recession started. I'm sure once it's over, new high paying jobs will be produced. The thing that surprised me was that Atlanta lost more high/mid level paying jobs than Chicago or LA.

This is because ARC is more fuscous on live work play neighbors. And generally the quality of life now. But there’s a bright future for transposition next decade in Atlanta. Clayton county is likely to join Marta and a least the state pass a transposition bill. The state is looking for federal money for planning cross state high speed rail. Not mention most of beltline will be completed.

YouTube - HUD Visit: Secretary Shaun Donovan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta