Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2011, 08:01 PM

7 posts, read 11,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's not factually correct. The city has had significant growth inside the city limits. While there are certainly areas of urban poverty, there has also been a great deal of high end growth inside the city, and that's where many of the highest earning workers live.

I agree with Arjay57, The most positive growth has been in the city. And even tho selling property is hard in Georgia right now in general, your best bet to sell anything without a loss is gonna be in the nicer neighborhoods in Atlanta. The basic reason for this the only real influx of new people who are moving in to the area are recent college grads. Atlanta is one of the top destination for high earning 20 somethings. Most of them find corporate executive gigs in the city and they don't wanna live in the burbs for geographical and demographic reasons. The average age for suburban folks is in their early 40's. Its boring, there is no night life, and who would wanna make that commute if you don't have kids? they wanna be close to work and close to whats happening in Atlanta. Atlanta is a doughnut hole that is centered in the north inside perimeter. But it is no doughnut of growth, at least not anymore. That arguement would have carried a lot more weight 6 or 7 years ago but not anymore. Look at the housing and growth statistics for Rockdale,Newton, Henry, Clayton, Coweta, and Douglas counties and you will see that they were once starting to boom 6 and seven years ago. But now there are new neighborhoods that were built in the last 10 years and some have only 20% capacity. And there are lots that were built 6 years ago and were never sold and still sit empty. These counties also have some of the highest unemployment. You couldn't even Argue that you have half of a doughnut. We are not talking about half a decade ago we are talking about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 PM

357 posts, read 783,273 times
a lot of the areas within the "city" of atlanta though have similar qualiities and characteristics of the outside suburbs.... the same feel but closer to downtown.

Old 01-26-2011, 08:32 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,752,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
Is It Game Over for Atlanta? | Newgeography.com

"With growth slowing, a lack of infrastructure investment catching up with it, and rising competition in the neighborhood, the Capital of the New South is looking vulnerable

Bad traffic congestion and other infrastructure ills didn't matter much when Atlanta was the only game in town. For a long time, anyone who needed a presence in the Southeast found Atlanta the easy default answer. In many cases it was the only real possibility.
That's no longer true. Atlanta is now surrounded by upstart, much faster growing cities such as Charlotte and Raleigh-Durham in North Carolina, Nashville, Tennessee and Charleston, South Carolina – all in many ways now have the ambitions once characteristic of Atlanta.

Atlanta's problem lies in its insufficient differentiation from these other places. Other than the airport, a clear major asset to Atlanta, what do you actually lose by moving to Charlotte or Nashville? Your commute is likely to be less. Except for certain groups – African Americans or gays – the city seems to be losing allure.

Atlanta is left as a sort of “quarter way house” caught between its traditional sprawling self and a more upscale urban metropolis. It offers neither the low traffic quality of life of its upstart competition, nor the sophisticated urban living of a Chicago or Boston."

Overly pessimistic, or somewhat observant?
when was it ever on? Just because the midtown is building building doesn't mean it's growing. You would be surprised at how many businesses are moving out of georgia and how many floors are empty in the high rises, and how many units are empty on the high end condos in atlanta.

Crazy fools missed the whole point of Atlanta and created a city that won't allow gentrification, just social classification.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:02 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wantouttageorgia View Post
I was not just talking about Cobb county, I said suburbs AND rural Georgia. 80 Percent might be stretching it a little but state wide it is not that far off. You are arguing semantics. The basic message I was saying is that there are two different Georgia's. That the city of Atlanta is politically and socially a polar opposite of the rest of the state. So do you disagree with the basic message that I am trying to convey?
Yes and no. If you're including the suburbs in some sort of comparison against the City, I think you are off-base.

Based on the people I've met from small rural areas and from various Atlanta suburbs, I would say that the difference between most of the inner suburbs and the City of Atlanta is not as great as the difference between the Atlanta metro as a whole and rural Georgia.

Old 02-17-2011, 03:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,988 times
The only reason why Atlanta has grown so much in the past 10yrs is CLEARY because of that STUPID ASS CRUNK MUSIC YO!!! First off, im Georgia born (SW Atlanta to be exact) and lived there until i was 13yrs old before my mother relocated me to Long Island, NY. I moved back to ATL after i graduated from high school in 1999...Now thats out the way; lets get down to the nitty gritty!

Atlanta OR the South in general is NOT the way it was back in the 80's and early 90's. The music and culture in ATL was WAAAAAAAAAAY better than the bull**** thats comin' out of Atlanta now. We had Ghost town Djs, Booty Music(Whateva happen to that?), Goodie Mob, Outkast, Xscape, 112, So So Def, Freaknik...and the list goes on and on! The clubs are not like the way they were back in the 90's(The Gate and Club 559 was the ****!!!!!!!!!!).

With that being said, the nightlife in Atlanta is CRAZY WACK now. The Northeast transplants are the main ones on here going slap crazy over atlanta because their just getting hip to Atlanta and the South in general!!! I remember living on Long island back in the mid 90's and i cannot tell you how much they "HATED" the south back then. My homeboys laughed at my ass so hard when i told them i was from Atlanta it was a shame(i love them dudes though...LOL). Its funny because EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM DUDES LIVE IN ATLANTA NOW! I used to tell them how THICK and beautiful the sista's were down here and that New York sista's were ugly compared to them. They didnt care. They were like "**** THOSE COUNTRY BUMPKINS" LOL!!! Now look. The same dudes cant stop talking about how fine the women are in Atlanta.

Before Lil jon & the whole Crunk thing popped off in 2003 nobody up north gave a **** about Atlanta or the South period! Now all of a sudden "Atlanta is the place to be". BUT; they missed the best part of it!!! This is the younger generation of Atlanta...its not the same anymore! You dont see thick chocolate girls walkin up and down the streets in short-tight coochie cutta's no more. What happen to the laid back "country" girl?? What happen to all the "slow pace" decent southern belles that used to dwell in the ATL??? What happened to the warmth of the community that i once knew?! What happened to BBQ's. To me, atlanta fell off after 2001. Though i still love my hometown; the southern culture is GONE AND NEVER TO BE THE SAME AGAIN!

Last edited by blazinmics; 02-17-2011 at 03:49 AM..

Old 02-17-2011, 12:26 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,839,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazinmics View Post
the only reason why atlanta has grown so much in the past 10yrs is cleary because of that stupid ass crunk music yo!!! First off, im georgia born (sw atlanta to be exact) and lived there until i was 13yrs old before my mother relocated me to long island, ny. I moved back to atl after i graduated from high school in 1999...now thats out the way; lets get down to the nitty gritty!

Atlanta or the south in general is not the way it was back in the 80's and early 90's. The music and culture in atl was waaaaaaaaaay better than the bull**** thats comin' out of atlanta now. We had ghost town djs, booty music(whateva happen to that?), goodie mob, outkast, xscape, 112, so so def, freaknik...and the list goes on and on! The clubs are not like the way they were back in the 90's(the gate and club 559 was the ****!!!!!!!!!!).

With that being said, the nightlife in atlanta is crazy wack now. The northeast transplants are the main ones on here going slap crazy over atlanta because their just getting hip to atlanta and the south in general!!! I remember living on long island back in the mid 90's and i cannot tell you how much they "hated" the south back then. My homeboys laughed at my ass so hard when i told them i was from atlanta it was a shame(i love them dudes though...lol). Its funny because every last one of them dudes live in atlanta now!:d i used to tell them how thick and beautiful the sista's were down here and that new york sista's were ugly compared to them. They didnt care. They were like "**** those country bumpkins" lol!!! Now look. The same dudes cant stop talking about how fine the women are in atlanta.:d

before lil jon & the whole crunk thing popped off in 2003 nobody up north gave a **** about atlanta or the south period! Now all of a sudden "atlanta is the place to be". But; they missed the best part of it!!! This is the younger generation of atlanta...its not the same anymore! You dont see thick chocolate girls walkin up and down the streets in short-tight coochie cutta's no more. What happen to the laid back "country" girl?? What happen to all the "slow pace" decent southern belles that used to dwell in the atl??? What happened to the warmth of the community that i once knew?! What happened to bbq's. To me, atlanta fell off after 2001. Though i still love my hometown; the southern culture is gone and never to be the same again!

retard retard retard

Old 02-17-2011, 01:07 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
The only reason why Atlanta has grown so much in the past 10yrs is CLEARY because of that STUPID ASS CRUNK MUSIC YO!!!
Without crunk there's no way we would have seen stuff like Terminus, 1180 Peachtree or the Gwinnett Braves.

Old 02-17-2011, 02:52 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,375,951 times
What in tarnation is crunk?

Old 02-17-2011, 03:41 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,106,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Without crunk there's no way we would have seen stuff like Terminus, 1180 Peachtree or the Gwinnett Braves.
Uh, what? Were you stoned when you wrote this? Crunk is a type of ghetto-ass rap music that came out of the "dirty Souf'". It's distinctive feature is over-use of the n-word.

The dumbing down of America...

Old 02-17-2011, 03:47 PM

5,479 posts, read 12,257,268 times
Quote:
The only reason why Atlanta has grown so much in the past 10yrs is CLEARY because of that STUPID ASS CRUNK MUSIC YO!!! First off, im Georgia born (SW Atlanta to be exact) and lived there until i was 13yrs old before my mother relocated me to Long Island, NY. I moved back to ATL after i graduated from high school in 1999...Now thats out the way; lets get down to the nitty gritty!

Atlanta OR the South in general is NOT the way it was back in the 80's and early 90's. The music and culture in ATL was WAAAAAAAAAAY better than the bull**** thats comin' out of Atlanta now. We had Ghost town Djs, Booty Music(Whateva happen to that?), Goodie Mob, Outkast, Xscape, 112, So So Def, Freaknik...and the list goes on and on! The clubs are not like the way they were back in the 90's(The Gate and Club 559 was the ****!!!!!!!!!!).

With that being said, the nightlife in Atlanta is CRAZY WACK now. The Northeast transplants are the main ones on here going slap crazy over atlanta because their just getting hip to Atlanta and the South in general!!! I remember living on Long island back in the mid 90's and i cannot tell you how much they "HATED" the south back then. My homeboys laughed at my ass so hard when i told them i was from Atlanta it was a shame(i love them dudes though...LOL). Its funny because EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM DUDES LIVE IN ATLANTA NOW! I used to tell them how THICK and beautiful the sista's were down here and that New York sista's were ugly compared to them. They didnt care. They were like "**** THOSE COUNTRY BUMPKINS" LOL!!! Now look. The same dudes cant stop talking about how fine the women are in Atlanta.

Before Lil jon & the whole Crunk thing popped off in 2003 nobody up north gave a **** about Atlanta or the South period! Now all of a sudden "Atlanta is the place to be". BUT; they missed the best part of it!!! This is the younger generation of Atlanta...its not the same anymore! You dont see thick chocolate girls walkin up and down the streets in short-tight coochie cutta's no more. What happen to the laid back "country" girl?? What happen to all the "slow pace" decent southern belles that used to dwell in the ATL??? What happened to the warmth of the community that i once knew?! What happened to BBQ's. To me, atlanta fell off after 2001. Though i still love my hometown; the southern culture is GONE AND NEVER TO BE THE SAME AGAIN!
Scene from "Airplane-The Movie"
...flight attendant to passengers:"Excuse me, anyone here speak jive?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta